• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon

Actually, most of the discussion so far has been taking place in the news section....

Pokemon.com said:
Battle alongside Legendary and Mythical Pokémon to save the world from a crisis in a tale of unprecedented scale.
I wonder what they mean by this. It's obviously hype at this point, but still.

You know... I think I may take a gander at this one. The only other side-games that I've ever played have been Colosseum and XD, otherwise I've always been more interested in the main series games than anything else. I read through the plot/gameplay of the past games last night on Bulbapedia, and they do seem interesting. I'm calling it right now that Hoopa is going to be a big part of the story. Judging by the movie, you can't get any "unprecedented scale" than that little booger when it comes to a worldwide crisis... unless Arceus would be involved too.

I reckon it's time for a little change of pace Pokémon-related to hold me over until the next main series game(s) is announced. I've been told these games are pretty plot-heavy, and that's always a huge plus for me.

Pokemon.com said:
Battle alongside Legendary and Mythical Pokémon to save the world from a crisis in a tale of unprecedented scale.
I wonder what they mean by this. It's obviously hype at this point, but still.

Like I said it seems that Legendary Pokémon are going to play a key role. My guess is that they will join your team early on as main characters.

And that makes something else possible.

Hmm, I'm not exactly sure what they're doing with the legendaries in this game. Maybe Hoopa is going to bring a lot of them into the game and that's going to be part of the plot. Hoopa's actions could be related to the existence of mystery dungeons in this game as well (they always seem to come up with some type of in universe justification for why the dungeons are randomized). They could also have something to do with the gameplay, similar to how Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs made some legendaries rideable to help you cross certain obstacles (Raikou could jump across gaps, Entei could break certain boulders, Suicune could run on water, Latios/Latias could allow you to explore the skies just like you can in ORAS). Maybe the legendaries could have special traits or abilities that make them useful in the gameplay.

I'm more interested in two things though: what Pokemon are going to be available and how they'll handle Mega Evolutions. GtI's roster was pretty minimal, but since Chunsoft has more experience with 3D now I don't think the game is going to be so lacking in Pokemon. Perhaps we won't see all 720, but I think we'll see at least 300-400ish. As for Mega Evolutions, I have a theory about how it might be handled, but I'm not exactly sure. I think we'll see a lot of Megas as bosses, but we may not be able to use it ourselves for a while considering that fully evolved Pokemon typically aren't found until later in the game (and evolution itself is usually restricted to post game). As for how it works, I thought perhaps it could only be used once per floor and would end when you reach the next one, and also have to be recharged using a meter that fills up as you walk.

Like I said it seems that Legendary Pokémon are going to play a key role. My guess is that they will join your team early on as main characters.

And that makes something else possible.

GtI did that already though. Virizion joined you fairly early on as one of the main characters in the storyline.

I think there will be a few that join you automatically in the storyline though, maybe after fighting them as bosses. I could see a couple of Pokemon that could do that, any of the mascot legendaries (they'll probably be major bosses at some point only to help you out eventually, similar to the way Explorers handled them), the Latis, Mew, Diancie, Hoopa. It all depends on how they write the storyline and which of them are involved.

Last edited:
I really wasn't expecting another Mystery Dungeon game. Heard mostly bad things about Gates (tried the demo, didn't enjoy it at all) and unless you count Sky (third version) and those awful WiiWare games, the last good Dungeon game came out in 2007.

Red/Blue Rescue Team will always hold a special place in my heart. They're right up there with the main series for me in terms of nostalgia, so if this represents a move back to the story-driven nature of the first two games, I'll definitely consider checking it out.

As I said in the previous thread, part of me really wants to see a sizable character roster - five selectable Pokemon wasn't enough. Part of me would like to see 18 Pokemon, with one representing each type. It would certainly provide several different possibilities. For example, it could involve something like...

Normal - Bunnelby
Fire - Fennekin
Fighting - Pancham
Water - Froakie
Flying - Fletchling
Grass - Chespin
Poison - Croagunk
Electric - Pikachu
Ground - Sandile
Psychic - Espurr
Rock - Tyrunt
Ice - Amaura
Bug - Scatterbug
Dragon - Axew
Ghost - Litwick
Dark - Zorua
Steel - Aron
Fairy - Snubbull

i'm really pleased about this, i didn't play the last one, but i've played all the others and really enjoyed them, so if this is going back to a better plot i will be looking forward to this

As far as gameplay goes I hope they return to the gameplay from before GTI if they add new stuff that's fine but they need to change several things back to the way they were.

The only thing I want is the personality test. I heard that wasn't in GtI so I straightout scrapped it (and for the millions other bad reviews lol).

The only thing I want is the personality test. I heard that wasn't in GtI so I straightout scrapped it (and for the millions other bad reviews lol).
Amen, If they really have to, make it optional, but give us the option, not just chose, I hated that, I asked a friend who I should be in GTI, I prefer not to do that again

PMD has always been my absolute favorite part of the franchise (with the Explorers Trilogy being right up there with the Sinnoh Trilogy for my favorite games of all time), and I am so pumped for it. I haven't played GtI and I don't care to, plan to, or want to. So I really, truly hope this is a regression to the Explorers-style.

BlackButterfree said:
PMD has always been my absolute favorite part of the franchise (with the Explorers Trilogy being right up there with the Sinnoh Trilogy for my favorite games of all time), and I am so pumped for it...

...So I really, truly hope this is a regression to the Explorers-style.

Pretty much my feelings for this game in a nutshell.

As far as gameplay goes I hope they return to the gameplay from before GTI if they add new stuff that's fine but they need to change several things back to the way they were.

Like what things specifically?

From what I've read, the only significant gameplay change they added into GtI is the Magnagates. I still don't quite understand what those are but someone on here said they could be linked to Hoopa. So while I agree with Lugia Trainer that everything should go back to the way it was, I would suggest they keep Magnagates.

So many things. Make so it you can do more than one job at a time, make giving pokemon you recruit a nickname optional, have the members of your team gain experience only when they go to a dungeon (I don't have to explain why do I?), make every pokémon recruitable, etc.

So many things. Make so it you can do more than one job at a time, make giving pokemon you recruit a nickname optional, have the members of your team gain experience only when they go to a dungeon (I don't have to explain why do I?), make every pokémon recruitable, etc.

The nickname thing was in GtI though. Unless you mean they should add the ability to change their names, which is something that hasn't been in a PMD game at all. While it'd be nice to have every Pokemon recruitable, I wouldn't really get my hopes up on that, there's a chance they may not be able to do all 720+.

And mind if I ask what's wrong with the experience system that GtI has?

The nickname thing was in GtI though. Unless you mean they should add the ability to change their names, which is something that hasn't been in a PMD game at all. While it'd be nice to have every Pokemon recruitable, I wouldn't really get my hopes up on that, there's a chance they may not be able to do all 720+.

And mind if I ask what's wrong with the experience system that GtI has?

Here's what I mean with the nickname thing: in GTI you have to give every pokemon you recruit in a dungeon a nickname whether you want to or not whereas in previous games you didn't have to if you didn't want to.

As for the problem with GTI's experience system: Every pokemon you have gains experience from defeated enemies regardless of whether or not you take them into a dungeon and as a result if you take a teammate into a dungeon whom you haven't taken in a long time then chances are you'll have to set through a long process where they level several times and it can a long time to sit through it all and it's extended if you have more then one pokemon go through that process. It was just so fucking annoying.

I was thinking "It'd be nice if we got a 6th gen PMD game, but I won't complain if we don't." then later that day I check Serebii and find this beauty waiting for me! I feel like I guilt-tripped Nintendo/Chunsoft/whoever makes these dang games! XD (I know I didn't but it's scary I was thinking that on the SAME.FRIKKIN'.DAY PMSD got announced! lol)

Personally, I would love to see how the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series handle mega-evolutions. I guess this is just the waiting game for me to see how it works.

I like to see the reintroduction of the personality quiz with a good amount of potential Pokemon results. However, I do worry that the quiz may become too convoluted for the game, which in that case, I would rather see fewer Pokemon options or just give the option to choose the Pokemon albeit with less choices.

Hopefully, the plot would be better than Infinity. I felt that the infinity plot just dragged on and on and I could not make a personal connection to the plot of infinity as I did in Blue and Sky.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom