• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Less waterside episodes is a sure thing (thank goodness, the Alolan setting is starting to make me seasick, literally and figuratively). M21-ish art style should work well with UK, although my most beloved art style is OS-DP's. Don't think SM's art style will survive, as it doesn't fit the UK's atmosphere. Kalos-equal tone. Old travelling formula, no Melemele-like confinement anymore. Ash with a male and female companion (hopefully no little brat a la Max & Bonnie). Lots of British VAs.

I have a feeling that next series will be great!

Last edited:
Would be interesting if the the evil team leader or the champion has a member of that line as well as Shieldon line.

Yeah, the Pokemon certainly match the Shield/Sword theme

Hopefully the animation quality and battles improve next gen, looks like gym battles are coming back

I'm excited for the new Pokemon game. I'm definitely going to have to get the Switch. I was already planning it, but now, since they have a main series added to it, its undeniably true.

From the little we've seen, it would seem that this region lends itself well to an interesting anime series.

I can't wait to see the new Pokemon and the starter evolutions.

I feel like a new type will be introduced this year... And possibly a new eeveelution.

I'm pretty sure that we'll see a return to the old traveling formula. The Galar region looks too vast to be stuck in one location. Granted, the Alola region also has pretty distinct areas and traveling was still important in those games, but SM still stayed primarily on one island. Still, I hope that they would like to showcase more areas for this region and it might be more of a necessity given that Gyms are going to be featured in the games. I'm not sure about the art style, but each series does look distinct from the rest, so I imagine that will be the case here.

Ash will probably have no more than two or three new companions. I don't know if the female playable character will be part of the main cast this time. We don't know if there are any sidequests the anime could adapt into a goal for the female lead. I suppose that isn't necessary for them to include the playable female character considering we had Showcases for Serena, but I don't think I'd want to see them make up their own competition for the main female character again. While the Galar region definitely looks UK based, I don't know if the anime would give any of the characters specific accents. I can only remember one character having a French accent for the XY dub, so I don't think that will be an issue.

Out of all of the starters, I can definitely see Ash capturing a Grookey. Scorbunny is also a good possibility, but I could see it going to a possible female lead for some reason. Grookey's design and personality shown during the reveal just makes me think it would be a good fit for Ash.

I agree with HM. Grookey will most likely go to Ash, as I see it has similar traits to his previous Grass types. Scorbunny, being this region's traditionally "cute" (aka marketable) starter, will most likely go to the female protagonist in my opinion.

I'm excited for Galar to be animated! The region looks beautiful and cozy, and if it's akin to how Kalos was portrayed visually I'll swoon.

I wonder in the anime will debut after sun and moon series ended! I predict it's in november 2019 as well in games

It will be interesting to see what direction this series goes in. The region looks beautiful in the game trailer, so I can imagine they'll do a nice job of portraying it in the anime as well. My gut feeling says we'll see another new art style. SM's definitely doesn't match what the game trailer was selling here. I could see an XY style, but better animated and maybe less "shiny" looking.

I'm slightly bummed gyms are back (yeah, I'm the only person in the world on this one, I know; I like that SM tried something different and was kind of hoping for something new again) but the trials weren't carried over well into the anime IMO, so it might actually be refreshing to see gyms again if the writers continue with the strong characterization of gym leaders they've been implementing for a while now.

The player characters are all starting to blend together in terms of design, so not sure who's going to follow Ash around. I guess possibly the female and maybe a gym leader or something, but I'm so bored of that formula. In fairness, I'm not entirely sure what would be different (maybe have the male character be a companion?) I just know I'm looking for something else here.

I tend to doubt the characters will have British accents, but I could be wrong. I feel like they mainly just use these areas as inspiration for the region itself. I mean, Unova is based off of NY and no one had NY accents (trust me, no one wants that.)

One thing I'm really hoping is that Ash doesn't get the water starter. It looks so much like Froakie to me, I don't want another repeat of that. My favorite starter is Scorbunny, so selfishly, I want Ash to have that one. The grass monkey is cute, but I'm also getting Chespin throwback vibes from it and I hated Chespin in the anime so I think I'm a bit scared of it already, lol. Hopefully they portray this guy a little better!

For the first time in a long time, I'm sad that the current series is ending (I adore SM) but I do always get excited for a new series, so I'm looking forward to what comes of this.

Last edited:
As long as we don't go back to endless forgettable CoTDs, the TRio being abused as plot device every single episode, and don't lose the wonder that is the SM art style, I will survive.

I wonder in the anime will debut after sun and moon series ended! I predict it's in november 2019 as well in games
Based on the Japanese website, the games are scheduled for Winter 2019, so most likely December.

Right now there isn't much to guess, but if I had to, I'd say Ash is going to get Scorbunny (or at least use it the most if he getss more than one starter). It seems to be a glass cannon, just like most of his Pokemon, and it fits him. There is also the fact that trailer shows us Sobble turning invisible and Grookey reanimating dead grass. When was the last time Ash was given a Pokemon with cool abilities like this? (hint: never)

I would enjoy it if the dub actually got some British VA's involved just for that sweet authenticity.
hope they don't give characters OTT English accents
I'd easily say this is one of my worst fears for it. I could do without listening to a character that sounds like Lillie but with a cartoony British accent.

Not much to go on so far, but I just hope they put a cap on the number of companions again (SM had WAAAY to many characters) and cut down on the slapstick and meme faces.
And since S&S have lovely graphics, hopefully we'll go back to a better art-style.

Though I'll go ahead and bet even money we get another Gym Leader companion or two.

And yeah, Galar being based on the UK is just begging for references to various works made or set in there...but I'm not sure how much our Japanese writers know about Bristish/Welsh/Scottish (and maybe some Irish) media...:confused_emoji:
(like how XY never had any takes on well known French characters/media)

Oh, and just hope to & pray to God AND Arceus they handle the villains better here than they did poor Team Skull & the Aether Foundation.

Last edited:
From which country this anime will be?

It looks like England. And really the anime looks very very interesting and the girls and colours were the best. But really they should let us see the wild pokemons that we will fight like let's go pikachu let's go eevee and let your pokemons to walk with you. I like both the trai es and the name sword and shield I think came from excalibur

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom