• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you would've read the posts a page or two ago, the idea of an AU Ash has shown many problems such as his Pokemon he keeps with Professor Oak that had resolved stories, old companions and such. By starting from scratch, it not only be time delaying, but would be unfair for the Galar Region.

Problems have been raised but really, I don't think of them as critical. Rather, they seem like confusion arising from a lack of understanding of how AU Ash could be used and then a good dash of fear-mongering going around.

That's a strange question. It's like asking us how we know that Ash doesn't own something like Gengar or Alakazam. Common sense dictates that Ash doesn't own a Pokemon if it isn't mentioned or shown onscreen under his ownership at least once and made clear that it belongs to him

For instance, this is a rather bizarre interpretation of my statement but I suppose since it is an AU, he could possibly have a Gengar or an Alakazam. We will get the confirmation on whether he has those Pokemon once we see them. And if they do show them, there really is no reason why they can't just introduce say Infernape and give a recap of Infernape's story (if necessary).

My idea though is that it's a reboot and that it'll start all the way from the beginning so we would get reintroduced to all his Pokemon and his journeys again, but it could be in a streamlined, edited way. Could be better since apparently all his fire types had similar stories lol.

And if they do show them, there really is no reason why they can't just introduce say Infernape and give a recap of Infernape's story (if necessary).

My idea though is that it's a reboot and that it'll start all the way from the beginning so we would get reintroduced to all his Pokemon and his journeys again, but it could be in a streamlined, edited way. Could be better since apparently all his fire types had similar stories lol.
What exactly would the point of a reboot be in this case, if it's all going to be the exact same in the end?

We've built up so much with Ash since OS, why would they risk it all be throwing all that out and starting all over again?

People are only thinking about this because the new anime is using the same logo as the AU movies of M20 and M21? If it is the AU Ash, then it's only the animation. The story would still be a continuation.

Last edited:
Magazine scans of SM140.

u7UvX2h.jpg

I don't even see Gladion anywhere in the picture? What if this is false?

We've built up so much with Ash since OS, why would they risk it all be throwing all that out and starting all over again?

People are only thinking about this because the new anime is using the same logo as the AU movies of M20 and M21? If it is the AU Ash, then it's only the animation. The story would still be a continuation.
The title being just "Pocket Monsters" without any subtitle has gotten people convinced that they're starting all over from scratch.

No, I'm implying a full continuity reboot.
I do not know why people are jumping on the bandwagon rumor of this new series becoming a retelling reboot with AU Ash or a completely new thing entirely. Only because of the title being called ''Pocket Monsters'' with the same logo as with M20 and M21.

It's obvious to why they have decided to call it that, since it will not only have Galar as it's main focus, but also having other Regions be in it as well.

It's not going to end up becoming like the movies since they're remakes of the pilot and the first two films (as part of Gen 7 to celebrate Pokemon's 20th Anniversary). Instead it'll just be the animation and the same TV Ash as part of the story.

Last edited:
I have to agree. I mean when was the last time that Infernape even did anything noteworthy? Sinnoh? His development was definitely a major plot point in DP and despite him attention ****ing for about two years from the moment that Ash caught him as a Chimchar, I still thought that his backstory was really deep and complex. But even so, I can't say that him disappearing via an AU situation would bother me. Same goes for even some of my favorite reserve Pokemon like Buizel and Snivy. Their time was over years ago and it's hard to feel bad about their situation when they haven't been relevant in such a long time (and probably never will be again).
I get that people are frustrated when the anime never acknowledges past series in any meaningful way, but that's the downside of a merch series like Pokemon - always looking forward to the next generation, while leaving behind a memorable legacy for people to enjoy

Which they then ruin by constantly trying to shove it into series where it doesn't fit

Can you not over-exaggerate or even generalize all of Ash's Pokemon under 'tragic backstory'? The only Pokemon with tragic backstories are Charizard, Infernape, Pignite and Torracat (Torracat's arc being a completely different type of tragic from the ones mentioned before it), the rest have different arcs. Your comment makes you look ignorant.
Why are you repeating what I just said?

I am still not 100% buying this whole reboot idea. I mean, why now? Because it is more or less the 20th anniversary? I have to admit the title name "Pocket Monsters" sounds very suspicious. But I still can not believe it.

It is so unusual for Japan to do reboots in general. This is more the American way because they ran out of ideas and passion for animation and art. But Japan is full of new ideas and stories. I must wait until the first trailer drops. But let's say if it will be a semi-reboot (and a promotion for S&S, because I can not think that they will miss out on the opportunity to promote the newest games with an anime adaption) than they kinda have to find a middle ground between the nostalgia of the OS and the new concepts of S&S. Here are my ideas:

1. Ash will be the protagonist. But he now wears the basic clothing of the male protagonist of S&S. Ash will also be portrait as a rookie again.
  2. Ash leaves with his mother now in Galar.
  3. Ash will get Pikachu as his first starter Pokémon and will also later catch all of the three starters of S&S.
  4. Scorbunny will have a tragic backstory and will evolve to his final form while the other two will stay in their basic forms.
  5. Ash's new rival will be Bede and his personality will be similar to that of Gary been a very arrogant trainer that looks down on Ash.

1. Ash's new companions will be two gym leaders: specifically, Nessa and Milo. Unless one of the remaining gym leaders is a male rock type trainer). Nessa will be very similar to Misty in terms of personality, meaning Nessa will be more of a tsundere that teases Ash. Milo will be very similar to Brock, filling in the role of a mentor to Ash and the cook and doctor of the group.
  2. One of the two will have a little running gag that involves falling constantly in love. But here I can see this happening with Nessa, but with the other way around. Guys (and also girls if you want it to be more p.c.) constantly falling in love with her.
  3. Nessa will have her own comic-relief Pokémon in the form of Cramorant, which will be very similar to Misty's Psyduck.
  4. Team Rocket will be once again the main antagonists of the show, trying to capture Pikachu.
  5. Jessie's and James' main Pokémon will be an Ekans and a Koffing, which both will involve into a Galar Weezing and a Galar Arbok (but only if Galar Arbok is a thing in the game).

Last edited:
I am still not 100% buying this whole reboot idea. I mean, why now? Because it is more or less the 20th anniversary? I have to admit the title name "Pocket Monsters" sounds very suspicious. But I still can not believe it.

It is so unusual for Japan to do reboots in general. This is more the American way because they ran out of ideas and passion for animation and art. But Japan is full of new ideas and stories. I must wait until the first trailer drops. But let's say if it will be a semi-reboot (and a promotion for S&S, because I can not think that they will miss out on the opportunity to promote the newest games with an anime adaption) than they kinda have to find a middle ground between the nostalgia of the OS and the new concepts of S&S. Here are my ideas:

1. Ash will be the protagonist. But he now wears the basic clothing of the male protagonist of S&S. Ash will also be portrait as a rookie again.
  3. Ash will get Pikachu as his first starter Pokémon and will also later catch all of the three starters of S&S.
  4. Scorbunny will have a tragic backstory and will evolve to his final form while the other two will stay in their basic forms.
  5. Ash's new rival will be Bede and his personality will be similar to that of Gary been a very arrogant trainer that looks down on Ash.

1. Ash's new companions will be two gym leaders: specifically, Nessa and Milo. Unless one of the remaining gym leaders is a male rock type trainer). Nessa will be very similar to Misty in terms of personality, meaning Nessa will be more of a tsundere that teases Ash. Milo will be very similar to Brock, filling in the role of a mentor to Ash and the cook and doctor of the group.
  2. One of the two will have a little running gag that involves falling constantly in love. But here I can see this happening with Nessa, but with the other way around. Guys (and also girls if you want it to be more p.c.) constantly falling in love with her.
  3. Nessa will have her own comic-relief Pokémon in the form of Cramorant, which will be very similar to Misty's Psyduck.
  4. Team Rocket will be once again the main antagonists of the show, trying to capture Pikachu.
  5. Jessie's and James' main Pokémon will be an Ekans and a Koffing, which both will involve into a Galar Weezing and a Galar Arbok (but only if Galar Arbok is a thing in the game).
So essentially a BW 2.0, because that worked out very well. :rolleyes:

I could see it working like that. However I do not see how the other Regions will fit into this. Of course he would travel to them after Galar. Perhaps Sinnoh afterwards since there is high chances of a Sinnoh Remake next year.

So essentially a BW 2.0, because that worked out very well. :rolleyes:

Oh Goodness no!

I could see it working like that. However I do not see how the other Regions will fit into this. Of course he would travel to them after Galar. Perhaps Sinnoh afterwards since there is high chances of a Sinnoh Remake next year.

Oh Goodness no!
I think the theory of continuing current Ash w/o resetting works the best and given the Galar/England Football theme and that hardcore passion that each has for their respective sport. I'll try my best to explain how the other regions could factor in.

I'll draw an analogy between Pokemon and Football for this, where the Galar League is basically the English Premier League and the Champions Cup/Trophy (or w/e the invitational will be called) will be like the UEFA Champions League.
Any team (ManU!) that qualified for the UEFA still has to play the Premier League matches where there's a tight fixture/schedule. The EPL matches would essentially be his Galar journey, whereas the UEFA ones would be him travelling to the other regions to participate in some sort of qualifiers.

I think the theory of continuing current Ash w/o resetting works the best and given the Galar/England Football theme and that hardcore passion that each has for their respective sport. I'll try my best to explain how the other regions could factor in.

I'll draw an analogy between Pokemon and Football for this, where the Galar League is basically the English Premier League and the Champions Cup/Trophy (or w/e the invitational will be called) will be like the UEFA Champions League.
Any team (ManU!) that qualified for the UEFA still has to play the Premier League matches where there's a tight fixture/schedule. The EPL matches would essentially be his Galar journey, whereas the UEFA ones would be him travelling to the other regions to participate in some sort of qualifiers.
Yeah, that's similar to what I mean, and you nailed it home for me. The Galar League being like the Region's Premier League (Ash competing and collecting badges as normal), whilst the Champions Cup will be like the World Cup (Ash travelling to each Region to take part in each stadium).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom