• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can also see hints of Lillie, Lana and Mallow if you look closely enough. I assume it's just every Top 16 contestant gathered together for the award ceremony.
Only for Guzzlord to rain in on their parade with some unfinished business with Ash for blasting it into the Ultra Wormhole whilst in the Ruin Dimension.

Now why would they do that?

Why not? The pokemon franchise has changed so much since the anime first started. It's quite a good time to revisit the old story and also improve upon it for a new generation. Pokemon wouldn't even be the first. There was the Sailor Moon reboot a few years back.

Why not? The pokemon franchise has changed so much since the anime first started. It's quite a good time to revisit the old story and also improve upon it for a new generation. Pokemon wouldn't even be the first. There was the Sailor Moon reboot a few years back.
Only problem with that is Galar. How are they going to showcase Galar if that is suppose to be the main stage of the new series, but also being set in the other Regions?

The new Sailor Moon was rebooted to stay faithful to the source material and only after the previous run was wrapped up. The Pokemon Anime has absolutely no correlation to the other transmedia storytelling in the franchise (no, not even the manga, it's a separate continuity) outside the general premise of Pokemon and batlling themselves, there'd be no advantage in rebooting it at all. Also, how do you see them doing a 3 year run involving 8 regions and all possible Pokemon in them, all the while fleshing out each region, character, development .etc. without rushing a "reboot"?
They essentially tried a soft reboot with BW and that didn't work out so well which is why they turned tail and connected it to the rest of the continuity (and creating a mess because of early BW Ash portrayal).

Last edited:
The new Sailor Moon was rebooted to stay faithful to the source material. The Pokemon Anime has absolutely no correlation to the other transmedia storytelling in the franchise (no, not even the manga, it's a separate continuity) outside the general premise of Pokemon and batlling themselves, there'd be no advantage in rebooting it at all. Also, how do you see them doing a 3 year run involving 8 regions and all possible Pokemon in them, all the while fleshing out each region, character, development .etc. without rushing a "reboot"?
They essentially tried a soft reboot with BW and that didn't work out so well which is why they turned tail and connected it to the rest of the continuity (and creating a mess because of early BW Ash portrayal).
I think they've learn their lesson from BW and will instead have the new series be a continuation. TBH, it would've been better if the series was similar to Digimon in the first place, by having each series mainly focusing on a new and completely different cast. But by now it is over 20 years too late. Might as well continue on with what we have.

Last edited:

You can't even compare the Sailor Moon anime to Pokemon. Sailor Moon had a definitive end point and the story was wrapped up ages ago, so a reboot happening was inevitable and understandable. But Pokemon is the kind of series that could go on forever and Ash still hasn't achieved his goal of becoming a Pokemon Master regardless of whether he'll win the Alola League or not.

Regarding the whole Jessie and James getting another Ekans and Koffing (or their evolved Galarian forms) theory, I still say that that shouldn't happen. I loved the originals and having them replaced 17 years later by reductive copies (I'm looking at you Galarian Weezing) would be the greatest insult to TRio's legacy imo. Just because James had a Weezing before doesn't mean that he needs a new Weezing with chimneys coming out of its head.

Regarding the whole Jessie and James getting another Ekans and Koffing (or their evolved Galarian forms) theory, I still say that that shouldn't happen. I loved the originals and having them replaced 17 years later by reductive copies (I'm looking at you Galarian Weezing) would be the greatest insult to TRio's legacy imo. Just because James had a Weezing before doesn't mean that he needs a new Weezing with chimneys coming out of its head.
He'll most likely show nostalgia for it when they attempt to steal it in one episode, but not capture. They'll probably catch one of the Galar Pokemon. Perhaps an Impidimp or something yet revealed.

Somehow with the Galar Gym Leaders, I do not see one smiling. The only exception I suppose is Milo. The most look unhappy or serious, as if the Galar League is a REALLY BIG Deal compared with the past Region Leagues!

Not surprising because of it being based on the British Sports Culture and Football Leagues where they take things VERY seriously.

Looks like Ash is going to be in for a very rough ride like nothing in Sinnoh nor Kalos.

Last edited:
I am still not 100% buying this whole reboot idea. I mean, why now? Because it is more or less the 20th anniversary? I have to admit the title name "Pocket Monsters" sounds very suspicious. But I still can not believe it.

It is so unusual for Japan to do reboots in general. This is more the American way because they ran out of ideas and passion for animation and art. But Japan is full of new ideas and stories. I must wait until the first trailer drops. But let's say if it will be a semi-reboot (and a promotion for S&S, because I can not think that they will miss out on the opportunity to promote the newest games with an anime adaption) than they kinda have to find a middle ground between the nostalgia of the OS and the new concepts of S&S. Here are my ideas:

1. Ash will be the protagonist. But he now wears the basic clothing of the male protagonist of S&S. Ash will also be portrait as a rookie again.
  2. Ash leaves with his mother now in Galar.
  3. Ash will get Pikachu as his first starter Pokémon and will also later catch all of the three starters of S&S.
  4. Scorbunny will have a tragic backstory and will evolve to his final form while the other two will stay in their basic forms.
  5. Ash's new rival will be Bede and his personality will be similar to that of Gary been a very arrogant trainer that looks down on Ash.

1. Ash's new companions will be two gym leaders: specifically, Nessa and Milo. Unless one of the remaining gym leaders is a male rock type trainer). Nessa will be very similar to Misty in terms of personality, meaning Nessa will be more of a tsundere that teases Ash. Milo will be very similar to Brock, filling in the role of a mentor to Ash and the cook and doctor of the group.
  2. One of the two will have a little running gag that involves falling constantly in love. But here I can see this happening with Nessa, but with the other way around. Guys (and also girls if you want it to be more p.c.) constantly falling in love with her.
  3. Nessa will have her own comic-relief Pokémon in the form of Cramorant, which will be very similar to Misty's Psyduck.
  4. Team Rocket will be once again the main antagonists of the show, trying to capture Pikachu.
  5. Jessie's and James' main Pokémon will be an Ekans and a Koffing, which both will involve into a Galar Weezing and a Galar Arbok (but only if Galar Arbok is a thing in the game).
If Ash does get a female Gym Leader as a companion, I think that Bea is more likely because her design is easier to draw.

If Ash does get a female Gym Leader as a companion, I think that Bea is more likely because her design is easier to draw.
You can say that again? I only made her appear as a cameo in one scene in my fanzine I'm working on. I've started since April and by now I'm almost done with Page 50, struck with mental tiredness to carry on further, so I'm now in a snail's pace to what I once did months prior.

I still think Gloria might likely be Ash's companion, who would probably get Grookey since Ash having Grookey is unlikely. Especially if we take the 2020 calendar seriously.

You know, if this is a complete reboot/overhaul/what-have-you, I would love if they used a remastered version of the original episode title card theme.

And then this got me thinking-- will they remaster a lot of older music? Will they use a lot of music from M20 and M22? Or will it be all original stuff? Surely there will be new remixes of music from the Sword and Sheid games and some completely original compositions but it is interesting to think of the possibilities.

You can say that again? I only made her appear as a cameo in one scene in my fanzine I'm working on. I've started since April and by now I'm almost done with Page 50, struck with mental tiredness to carry on further, so I'm now in a snail's pace to what I once did months prior.

I still think Gloria might likely be Ash's companion, who would probably get Grookey since Ash having Grookey is unlikely. Especially if we take the 2020 calendar seriously.
That calendar also has Shaymin, Sylveon, and Alolan Vulpix so by your argument Mallow, Serena, and Lillie are all returning.

That calendar also has Shaymin, Sylveon, and Alolan Vulpix so by your argument Mallow, Serena, and Lillie are all returning.
Likely... only when Ash visits Kalos or Hoenn for Serena, and Alola for Lillie and Mallow. Perhaps to tie up some loose ends such as Gladian and Lillie's missing father, and Shaymin's Sky Form.

Honestly we are just speculating here, anything can happen with returning characters with this direction the anime is going. The less likely option is having these girls come along with Ash, which would only rob the New Companions for Galar. It's much safer to have the companions be in their specific Regions until the grand finale arc.

Likely... only when Ash visits Kalos or Hoenn for Serena, and Alola for Lillie and Mallow. Perhaps to tie up some loose ends such as Gladian and Lillie's missing father, and Shaymin's Sky Form.

Honestly we are just speculating here, anything can happen with returning characters with this direction the anime is going. The less likely option is having these girls come along with Ash, which would only rob the New Companions for Galar. It's much safer to have the companions be in their specific Regions until the grand finale arc.
What grand finale arc? Are you thinking that Galar is the end of the anime?

What grand finale arc? Are you thinking that Galar is the end of the anime?
Grand Finale meaning... trying to stop something very catastrophic
like Eternatus
. Of course the anime will likely continue to Gen 9, no doubting that. But only time will tell. I was just thinking too far ahead.

so who do you think will win in ash and mr full battle? will ash losing to him prove that being champion isn't enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom