• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're perfectly good pictures when I view the page, but I'll upload them here.

First of all, rejecting an idea (which is being implied - that logo isn't random or hard to redesign) just because it doesn't fit your view of what's best for the show, isn't very wise. The target audience are not particularly invested in Ash outdoing his Alola victory and going all the way. More to the point, Ash revisiting all the regions would require a myriad of references to get young viewers up to speed, or else those returns would be shallow. With AU Ash, those regions (even Kanto and Johto) would be a clean slate with barely any constraints.

I don't like Movie 20, but I get why they went in that direction and don't see how it couldn't be applied here. Ash could get his story continued in movies instead.
You are thinking too much in a western perspective. You're forgetting the main target audience to Pokemon and where it originated from. And that is Japan. especially Japanese children. With the internet we can watch the old episodes so to keep track, I do not see any trouble at all with what they're planning. They might even surprise us in ways you might not expect.

Also those calendars which were shown months ago mean nothing compared to the cover.

Last edited:
They're perfectly good pictures when I view the page, but I'll upload them here.

First of all, rejecting an idea (which is being implied - that logo isn't random or hard to redesign) just because it doesn't fit your view of what's best for the show, isn't very wise. The target audience are not particularly invested in Ash outdoing his Alola victory and going all the way. More to the point, Ash revisiting all the regions would require a myriad of references to get young viewers up to speed, or else those returns would be shallow. With AU Ash, those regions (even Kanto and Johto) would be a clean slate with barely any constraints.

I don't like Movie 20, but I get why they went in that direction and don't see how it couldn't be applied here. Ash could get his story continued in movies instead.
I really do not see any logic from a business perspective in a reboot, or even AU Ash for that matter, especially for a main series that's going to run for the next 3 years. A rational point for them to have done this would have been with Sinnoh or Kalos, it does not make sense now.

I really do not see any logic from a business perspective in a reboot, or even AU Ash for that matter, especially for a main series that's going to run for the next 3 years. A rational point for them to have done this would have been with Sinnoh or Kalos, it does not make sense now.
They've cried a river, built a bridge, got over it and bam! Water under the bridge! They're already 20 years too late to turn back now. They have to go forwards now to go back, and with Ash becoming Champion of Alola, would mean he is now closer than ever of becoming a Pokemon Master.

They've cried a river, built a bridge, got over it and bam! Water under the bridge! They're already 20 years too late to turn back now. They have to go forwards now to go back, and with Ash becoming Champion of Alola, would mean he is now closer than ever of becoming a Pokemon Master.
And yet, it's possible that they could just throw it all away and start all over from the beginning.

And yet, it's possible that they could just throw it all away and start all over from the beginning.
Then that would probably have been a terrible waste. Highly doubtful they will end Ash's journey without making him a Pokemon Master.

They could... though they already did that in a way back in BW and that didn't really turn out well. Do you think they'll want to take more risks after Dexit?

You know as well as I do that what happened in BW wasn't even close to being the same thing that people are suggesting with the whole reboot/AU theories. BW was still part of the main anime's continuity despite its many flaws, whereas a true reboot or AU situation here would be entirely different since it would completely replace Ash, either with a new character or a new version of him that would no longer be canon.

And why would the writing staff care about Dexit backlash? They aren't Gamefreak, so that hoopla doesn't really affect them.

Last edited:
You know as well as I do that what happened in BW wasn't even close to being the same thing that people are suggesting with the whole reboot/AU theories. BW was still part of the main anime's continuity despite its many flaws, whereas a true reboot or AU situation here would be entirely different since it would completely replace Ash, either with a new character or a new version of him that would no longer be canon.

And why would the writing staff care about Dexit backlash? They aren't Gamefreak, so that hoopla doesn't really affect them.
Nothing is said about it being a reboot, remake or retelling. Just that Galar is the stage but will also be set in the past Regions. People are only jumping on the AU bandwagon because of the title change to just ''Pocket Monsters'' and logo that resembles M20 and M21?

The reasoning for calling it ''Pocket Monsters'' is not that difficult to see! Since ALL the Regions will be together in one series. Just because the logo looks similar doesn't mean the story will be like AU. We're not the ones making it, and we are not the true demographic. Japan is.

Until 29th and with lack of clues, this is all we'll get.

Last edited:
It is a bit hard to say. I have the feeling only the OS - AG -DP had a real continuation. BW, X&Y, and S&M feel more like their own little separate shows, even some of them like BW and S&M had throwbacks to older shows.

It is a bit hard to say. I have the feeling only the OS - AG -DP had a real continuation. BW, X&Y, and S&M feel more like their own little separate shows, even some of them like BW and S&M had throwbacks to older shows.
Except, this was disproven when... you know... Brock appeared early in SM and used a strategy that Ash had invented in DP?

Except, this was disproven when... you know... Brock appeared early in SM and used a strategy that Ash had invented in DP?
And with Kanto being in SM, and with the scraped idea for M20 having all of Ash's companions together, it's obvious that the anime was testing waters with the concept before doing so fully in this new series. This time having all the Regions instead of just Kanto and Galar.

Or the fact that Dawn and Ash's Charizard returned in BW (and they even had flashbacks/mentions of their past adventures)? Or the fact the Ash deciding to go to Kalos with Alexa happened at the end of BW, which led into the first episode of XY? Or the fact that Cilan met DP Brock in that one special? Or the fact that he also met Clemont and Bonnie in another one (and even had a short flashback of BW Ash in that episode)?

Tonal clashes and small contradictions aside, it is pretty clear that OS, AG, DP, BW, XY and SM are all in the same universe, within the continuity and continue the same "story" (and I use that term loosely) that focuses on the same Ash and there's nothing that proves otherwise (and, in fact, there's far more evidence to the contrary).

Last edited:
Or the fact that Dawn and Ash's Charizard returned in BW (and they even had flashbacks/mentions of their past adventures)? Or the fact the Ash deciding to go to Kalos with Alexa happened at the end of BW, which led into the first episode of XY?
From OS to DP it was Ash being mentioned of the next Region and travelling there, but that's completing all the Japanese based Regions. BW did the same when Ash went to Kalos for XY. Perhaps something similar would happen with Ash hears about Galar and then travelling there. With Ash becoming Champion, perhaps would be more than enough for him to be given an endorsement and qualifications to a global Champions Challenge. Not just the Galar League.

Last edited:

They might feel that way to certain people, but BW, XY and SuMo are just as much a part of the overall anime as OS, AG and DP were.

They might feel that way to certain people, but BW, XY and SuMo are just as much a part of the overall anime as OS, AG and DP were.
And this new anime series with all the regions in it including Galar will be no different. It'll be a nice tribute to all of Ash's past adventures.

Sure it will. The idea that this series is no different than BW-SM with their minimal references to other regions (yes, even BW and SM) is unfounded.

Sure it will. The idea that this series is no different than BW-SM with their minimal references to other regions (yes, even BW and SM) is unfounded.
sounds to me like you wanting Ash to end and have a Pokemon Origins/Generations series.

It still wouldn't bold well for Galar's marketing if we have to start in Kanto and work our way up again.

Also those calendars which were shown months ago mean nothing compared to the cover.
Less than a month ago and they go hand in hand with the cover. Lots of old Pokemon, some notable ones but way too many to conclude anything about returning characters, and only the Galar starters for SwSh representation.

As for the streaming argument, do you really think they expect kids to watch hundreds of old episodes? Nothing they've done in the past suggested that.

It still wouldn't bold well for Galar's marketing if we have to start in Kanto and work our way up again.
They could get a lot of mileage out of the Galar starters alone as the calendar suggests, but I think that AU Ash could start in Galar and make many detours. What I want is irrelevant.

Last edited:
As for the streaming argument, do you really think they expect kids to watch hundreds of old episodes? Nothing they've done in the past suggested that.
If you made this comment around 10 years back then it would have credence, but it won't work in the present day. You'd be surprised to the technology access that kids have nowadays.
They could get a lot of mileage out of the Galar starters alone as the calendar suggests, but I think that AU Ash could start in Galar and make many detours. What I want is irrelevant.
Not this again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom