• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This what?

I know that kids have access to the older episodes. That doesn't mean that most of them actually bother to watch more than a single region, if that. They do get new episodes, to say nothing of other shows. Japanese parents aren't exactly big on letting their kids waste away in front of the TV, either.

If you made this comment around 10 years back then it would have credence, but it won't work in the present day. You'd be surprised to the technology access that kids have nowadays.

I think the point that they were trying to make is that regardless of the technology that we have these days with streaming and whatnot, it's still not realistic to expect most kids to binge-watch the entire series just to catch up to the present. That's over 1,000 episodes; ain't nobody except people on this forum got time for that.

I don’t buy the marketing argument concerning Galar. The region itself doesn’t matter that much. The Pokémon do, but you don’t need to milk Galar like DP did Sinnoh to show off the new Pokémon.

If there's one thing big franchises are very good at, it is dividing whole fandoms by whatever direction they go, whether it is good or bad. And already Pokemon has done so in this year alone. Thomas had also done so 2 years prior with Big World Big Adventures, and Star Wars 2 years before that when bought by Disney.

Already in this forum alone, there is now a division between AU Ash and the Classic Ash. Do they really want the fandom to go any further down the gutter since the Pokedex Cut? Which by now they wouldn't care too much. It is an empire of a franchise, and all they care about is merchandising and money.

With a lack of advertising Gen 8 Pokemon in the anime and movies this year, I can understand the series becoming a reboot. But yet if they are going to bother with the other regions and their Pokemon more than Galar and the new ones, then what is the whole point of a Gen 8 anyway? Might as well just have the 7 Regions and call it a day. They clearly said that they have too many Pokemon, might as well stop before they damage themselves any further.

Reactions: Jez
I really do not see any logic from a business perspective in a reboot, or even AU Ash for that matter, especially for a main series that's going to run for the next 3 years. A rational point for them to have done this would have been with Sinnoh or Kalos, it does not make sense now.

I don't see why it is difficult to see the logic. Movie 20 and 21 did very well at the box office and maybe they saw that and decided to take the same approach with the show. Also, doing this after Sinnoh or Kalos isn't more rational business wise then doing it now (honestly there is no difference). People who believe this are letting their biases show (they preferred the storyline wrapping up in DP or Kalos, instead of SM). But in reality, it doesn't matter at all.

They clearly said that they have too many Pokemon, might as well stop before they damage themselves any further.

Who is they? And why did you feel the need to double post just to tell us something that you've already said before in a slightly different way? We get it, you disagree with the consensus.

Most in the fandom want a Pokemon Anime Series based on the manga or be more based on the games like Origins and Generations are, but yet for this new anime, it is the Galar Pokemon and Region that should really be shown off first to market Sword and Shield. If not and it'll be the long route from Gen 1 to 8, then that would be bad marketing. Maybe for the rest of the Pokemon, but not so for the new game, that's the main problem many are just concerned with.

I don't see why it is difficult to see the logic. Movie 20 and 21 did very well at the box office and maybe they saw that and decided to take the same approach with the show. Also, doing this after Sinnoh or Kalos isn't more rational business wise then doing it now (honestly there is no difference). People who believe this are letting their biases show (they preferred the storyline wrapping up in DP or Kalos, instead of SM). But in reality, it doesn't matter at all.

Movies are a lot different to TV anime. The ratings have gotten better for SM compared with XY, mainly because they brought back Kanto. So just think how much of a ratings the new anime will get if they brought back the other old Regions and casts with the continuation in Galar?

I don’t buy the marketing argument concerning Galar. The region itself doesn’t matter that much. The Pokémon do, but you don’t need to milk Galar like DP did Sinnoh to show off the new Pokémon.

So rather continuing milking the older region, especially regions like Kanto, who got milked like cows in the past?

No thanks.

Biggest concern about a reboot is that there's no reason for them to exist for a story that's not even over yet. This is why movie 20 and 21 feel so... detached from reality, especially movie 20 feels almost like a parody at times, meanwhile movie 21 feels just like if they were making like a spinoff movie and just slapped Ash in there last second.

Then again, if the main timeline show is ending, I think it deserves a better send off. Don't get me wrong, I love SM, but all in all it's still pretty much a very self contained story, and I would like the anime to do a more "cohesive" kinda story playing homage to the whole series if it ever has to go.

Biggest concern about a reboot is that there's no reason for them to exist for a story that's not even over yet. This is why movie 20 and 21 feel so... detached from reality, especially movie 20 feels almost like a parody at times, meanwhile movie 21 feels just like if they were making like a spinoff movie and just slapped Ash in there last second.

Then again, if the main timeline show is ending, I think it deserves a better send off. Don't get me wrong, I love SM, but all in all it's still pretty much a very self contained story, and I would like the anime to do a more "cohesive" kinda story playing homage to the whole series if it ever has to go.
I think the better send off would be this new anime since all the Regions will be in it. That would be far better in respect and homage to the viewers and fans throughout the generations than to start of from scratch. It would also have it end with Ash becoming a Pokemon Master.

Becoming Champion is only the first step on becoming a Pokemon Master, and after Alola, I can already see the anime doing more with it. Not doing so will only rob it's potential and just have things end in an unfitting ending that it should rightfully deserve. At least the recent Series Finale to MLP did it well.

I disagree with the "If it doesn't make sense to me then the Anime won't do it" the Anime has shown in the recent times by taking of plenty of risks. People who are above 18 who write on Message Boards form the minority and honestly don't matter, they definitely do matter for Video Games but not for the Anime. The Calendar is pretty awkward, it features what looks to be the Alola Region in one of its pages and so that does mean it ties in with the Next Anime. And at the same time, Scorbunny's Art looks different from its Art in the Teaser. I do think if they even end Ash's Journey, they won't end it with him growing up and becoming a Pokémon Master, but rather in a Cliffhanger with him still continuing his adventures after winning a League.

Also for real, can you change the Title of this thread?

I disagree with the "If it doesn't make sense to me then the Anime won't do it" the Anime has shown in the recent times by taking of plenty of risks. People who are above 18 who write on Message Boards form the minority and honestly don't matter, they definitely do matter for Video Games but not for the Anime. The Calendar is pretty awkward, it features what looks to be the Alola Region in one of its pages and so that does mean it ties in with the Next Anime. And at the same time, Scorbunny's Art looks different from its Art in the Teaser. I do think if they even end Ash's Journey, they won't end it with him growing up and becoming a Pokémon Master, but rather in a Cliffhanger with him still continuing his adventures after winning a League.

Also for real, can you change the Title of this thread?
You keep saying... ''Change the title of thread'' when we're not on the 29th.

The cover to the calendar also had similar art to the SM era calendar covers, so did the first poster to SM, meaning that the art would still be different.

Also, if the entire series does end with Ash returning to Pallet Town, then that would at least be no different to a subtle end than that seen in W.I.T.C.H., since that had subtle hints to Season 3 that never came to be. Bad examples to what it won't be like with cliffhangers is Reboot, Sonic SATAM, Teddy Ruxpin and other childhood examples.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom