• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections. Applications are due by November 26th.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
The fact that this saga/series is supposed to promote all the regions and generations of Pokemon when we have Dexit going on is actually one of the things that confuses me. Why did the producers decide that now would be a good time to pander to previous generations when the games will have a limited amount of Pokemon?
It seems like they're trying to downplay the significance of the main series games to their pokemon empire. Making the new series cross regions makes a lot of sense really. The main series games are not the only things that have to be promoted now.

Prepare for over-used stock animation!
Reaction score
Attempted damage control?
I’m not sure this is the case. We didn’t know about the National Dex thing until E3, and by that point this series had already began production. The main cast, basic series structure, etc would have already been decided by then. Maybe they already knew it would be controversial before June and already knew they had to do something, but I doubt it. Also I firmly believe we won’t be seeing any Pokémon that aren’t available in the games outside of brief cameos.

Reaction score
One of the reasons the reboot/AU idea is nonsense. Not only will it be redundant to go through the same journey all over again (regardless of small changes here and there) but it's pointless too.
I feel like this could be interesting if the focus is put on the companions instead as opposed to Ash.

Stuck
Reaction score
I'll just add this: The main reason to opt for an AU is so that the older regions feel new, from the perspective of an Ash that hasn't been to them yet (and really, he only saw Pallet in the movie and then a bunch of made up locations). Kids are supposed to relate to him, after all.

I can't even think of a good reason for the current Ash to go back to Alola so soon. His typical self would want to stay in Galar.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
I'll just add this: The main reason to opt for an AU is so that the older regions feel new, from the perspective of an Ash that hasn't been to them yet (and really, he only saw Pallet in the movie and then a bunch of made up locations). Kids are supposed to relate to him, after all.

I can't even think of a good reason for the current Ash to go back to Alola so soon. His typical self would want to stay in Galar.
He’ll probably save the more recent Regions till last if Ash is travelling through Galar and visiting older Regions.

Reaction score
Now that Ash became the Alolan champion, maybe Gary became the Kantonian champion off-screen.

Someone
Reaction score
Now that Ash became the Alolan champion, maybe Gary became the Kantonian champion off-screen.
I doubt Gary has any interest in competing in Regional Conferences. He's more into researching and I can see him cameo in Galar while researching Dyna/Giganta.

Reaction score
One of the reasons the reboot/AU idea is nonsense. Not only will it be redundant to go through the same journey all over again (regardless of small changes here and there) but it's pointless too. The only way older regions could work is in the same vein that Kanto was in the SM season, as in revisiting old friends or for some sort of task/quest. Or it could also work if there's something akin to an inter-regional tournament/competition akin to UEFA CL.
Who is to say they would retell the same journey? You don't have to do that for a reboot, it is not a requirement. Movie 21 is essentially an AU and yet the story is completely original. Some anti-AU fans have this black/white view on this and assume they would just retell stories from previous sagas.

Someone
Reaction score
Who is to say they would retell the same journey? You don't have to do that for a reboot, it is not a requirement. Movie 21 is essentially an AU and yet the story is completely original. Some anti-AU fans have this black/white view on this and assume they would just retell stories from previous sagas.
The reason why the AU movies have worked (to some extent) are because they're small snippets/pockets of story. I can guarantee you that a full scale AU won't work at all and if it did then it'll mostly feel like a repeat of what has come.

Reaction score
The reason why the AU movies have worked (to some extent) are because they're small snippets/pockets of story. I can guarantee you that a full scale AU won't work at all and if it did then it'll mostly feel like a repeat of what has come.
How do you know that?

It is bizarre you are making such a definitive statement without any evidence.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
How do you know that?

It is bizarre you are making such a definitive statement without any evidence.
The new series could start in Galar, but will be like M21 with completely new and original cast of companions for the series, original story that loosely follows SwSh but with it being an international event with the other regions, rather than a Galar League.

Reaction score
Alright, so they are officially calling next weeks episode Final Battle! Ash Vs Kukui! So, I still believe that this further supports reboot

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Alright, so they are officially calling next weeks episode Final Battle! Ash Vs Kukui! So, I still believe that this further supports reboot
Not as much of a reboot as being like M21, with Ash in the Galar Region with original anime exclusive companions, but instead of this being the Galar League would be an International League.

Reaction score
I think it means the final main battle of this region/series but even I'm not sure until next week confirms all.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Ash vs Kukui would probably be a two parter SM141-SM142. Since we have 2 episodes left, It looks like the series will end in a way where people would watch the beginning of the SM series. Nothing Galar related. Not even the films this year, which makes me think the anime would start just like M21 with Ash being in Galar with no rhyme or reason but to be a part of soMe International League.

Last edited:
Young Battle Trainer
Reaction score
Ash vs Kukui would probably be a two parter SM141-SM142. It looks like the series will end in a way where people would watch the beginning of the SM series. Nothing Galar related. Not even the films this year, which makes me think the anime would start just like M21 with Ash being in Galar with no rhyme nor reason but to be a part of soMe International League.
I don't see them doing an International League storyline unless they plan on ending the anime entirely, or at least Ash's journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.