• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
ill honest you seem to do a lot of guessing with little to no proof and it seems like everyone else is tired of it and then you have remind people of other little things that hardly matter. you really take the fun out of speculation
I do not see why you’re complaining, It’s just a fun way to spend the time before the reveal. There hasn’t been much as of late.

Last edited:
ill honest you seem to do a lot of guessing with little to no proof
That's called speculation? It's what this thread is all about.
it seems like everyone else is tired of it
If someone's bothered by it, then it's their own problem and not a universal one. He hasn't broken any forum rules so I don't see why you're so disturbed by it.

It's weird trying to make assumptions about this new series, since it's from an anime that followed the same formula for so long. To me it's still kind of unbelievable, and I want to see how things will unfold. I mean, we had the "Housous" (those side episodes introduced in Chronicles), which in the end didn't go far. When Origins was announced, many thought it would be a new series, yet it was just a special. We had the Mega Evolution special, which eventually connected to Ash's journey. So, even with all the information we have (that isn't much), after so long, it's hard to believe that there will be any substantial change.

However, assuming the anime will take a new approach permanently, and not as a temporary condition or whatever, here's my two cents:
  • I do think it will be a reboot;
  • It could be episodes alternating between different times of Ash's journey once. Like, half of the episode showing him in Galar, and ther other half showing him in other region. Or episodes alternating between Ash's journey and other trainer's.

I don't see how it is hard to believe there will be substantial change.

SM went away from the formula, as have the movies since 2017. Giving their track record the last couple of years, them doing a reboot or taking the next series into a different direction isn't a surprise to me.

I don't think SM was a substantial change though.

I agree, I would prefer an anime set only in Galar. The new region should have its space in the anime like the previous ones.
I could accept a couple of episodes set in other regions like Kanto in the Sun and Moon anime but nothing more. Maybe some episodes set in Sinnoh or Kalos? Could be but not half of the anime please.

I don't think SM was a substantial change though.
Compaired with the past 6 Gens, Gen 7 had no League until the end. Gen 8 is just going back to the first 6. I don't see why people think SM would be the new direction when SwSh makes it perfectly clear that it's going back to the old formula.

The anime could go down the path of Ash visiting the past regions like SM did with Kanto. Only unlike SM where it is a field trip, the new anime could be something very big. Being Champion is only one step of Ash becoming a Pokemon Master. It looks as if Ash is going to rematch in the conferences of past 6 Regions and win. (no need for Gym Badges because he's already gotten the 8 from the 6). The only Region he's yet to collect Gym Badges is Galar.

I don't see how it is hard to believe there will be substantial change.

SM went away from the formula, as have the movies since 2017. Giving their track record the last couple of years, them doing a reboot or taking the next series into a different direction isn't a surprise to me.
You're way off the mark.

SM did have a non-traditional format, but it was mostly mirroring the games and the lack of gyms... not to mention that the 'region' itself wasn't that big and travelling through all of it wouldn't take that long, hence the slice of life formula. It wasn't that substantial a change.

As for the AU movies, they are more of a 'What if?' scenario that we often see in a lot of media. If the AU was that popular then M22 would have been another AU movie instead of an M01 remake (nostalgia pandering). There were no original continuity SM films because all the Gen 7 legendaries/UBs were covered in the main anime itself, something that was kept for the movies in the past Gen (hence the abandonment of the GS ball storyline).
It's not like the AU could work as a full scale movie considering the AU Ash has only two Pokemon revealed, and covering the entire story for an AU version (including all the regions, badges and leagues) would be redundant, pointless and wasting the current potential with Ash winning the Alola League.

How I am I way off the mark?

They could have remained more faithful to SM games and yet they didn’t. The AU movies were a break from what they had been doing for 20 years.

Hell, how they are talking about the new series is break from what they done with each series since Johto.

How I am I way off the mark?

They could have remained more faithful to SM games and yet they didn’t. The AU movies were a break from what they had been doing for 20 years.

Hell, how they are talking about the new series is break from what they done with each series since Johto.

Even so, with Kukui having 5 Pokemon shown in a 6 on 6 Battle with Ash, not to mention on the same time as the trailer for the new series...

This is highly suspect

Last edited:
They could have remained more faithful to SM games and yet they didn’t.
They did remain faithful to the main plot from the games... in a way I guess. Besides, why are you singling out this instance? The anime didn't necessarily follow the games toe-to-toe, just the general outline.
The AU movies were a break from what they had been doing for 20 years.
Pokemon movies usually deal with the legendaries of that particular Gen, something that they could not do with Gen 7 because of how they integrated the Solgaleo/Lunala/Necrozma/UBs into the main anime itself, not that the region was big enough for an entire movie setting in the first place.
I don't recall them saying anything about a different formula, much less an AU or a reboot? The only thing they said was that it'll include all the past regions.

Even so, with Kukui having 5 Pokemon shown in a 6 on 6 Battle with Ash, not to mention on the same time as the trailer for the new series...

This is highly suspect
On a different topic, I doubt Kukui will face Ash without revealing his own team to him, it'll be unfair to the latter since Kukui knows about Ash's full team as of Naganadel's return. And Kukui isn't someone who likes unfair advantages.

Last edited:
They did remain faithful to the main plot from the games... in a way I guess. Besides, why are you singling out this instance? The anime didn't necessarily follow the games toe-to-toe, just the general outline.

Pokemon movies usually deal with the legendaries of that particular Gen, something that they could not do with Gen 7 because of how they integrated the Solgaleo/Lunala/Necrophilia/UBs into the main anime itself, not that the region was big enough for an entire movie setting in the first place.

I don't recall them saying anything about a different formula, much less an AU or a reboot? The only thing they said was that it'll include all the past regions.

On a different topic, I doubt Kukui will face Ash without revealing his own team to him, it'll be unfair to the latter since Kukui knows about Ash's full team as of Naganadel's return. And Kukui isn't someone who likes unfair advantages.
Perhaps Kukui is saving a Pokemon that Ash has never seen as a sort of surprise challenger, like a Sirfetch'd. We know he has in his team Incineroar, Lucario, Braviery, Venosaur and Empoleon. But the last, all we got in the japanese magazine filling that gap is the mention for the new series. And since the Japanese read right to left, he may have something that Ash has not yet seen.

Also, Necrophilia? A fetish on dead people? Don't you mean Necrozma?

Last edited:
Perhaps Kukui is saving a Pokemon that Ash has never seen as a sort of surprise challenger, like a Sirfetch'd. We know he has in his team Incineroar, Lucario, Braviery, Venosaur and Empoleon. But the last, all we got in the japanese magazine filling that gap is the mention for the new series. And since the Japanese read right to left, he may have something that Ash has not yet seen.
I doubt it'll Sirfetch'd, otherwise they might have hinted it in some way, not that there'll be much of a surprise factor with an already revealed Mon. My guess is that it's an unrevealed Mon that'll be shown in the announcement too.
Also, Necrophilia? A fetish on dead people? Don't you mean Necrozma?
Damn autocorrect, yeah that's what I meant.

Pokemon movies usually deal with the legendaries of that particular Gen, something that they could not do with Gen 7 because of how they integrated the Solgaleo/Lunala/Necrozma/UBs into the main anime itself, not that the region was big enough for an entire movie setting in the first place.

SM is the most recent thing they did. That is more relevant then what they did from OS-XY. Also, it is not just SM, but their formula with movies changed.

Anyway, they already hinted at the next series being different. The fact that streamlined the promotion is a change from what they normally do.

No offense, but you just sound like your in complete denial. This isn’t even about a reboot, any talk of change and you get all pissy about it.

Last edited:
I think the directors want to let us feel how big and connected the pokemon world really is. The most regions didn't had a lot of callbacks to other regions except Kanto. I don't really have a big problem with that.

Maybe the writers felt like they didn't had enough freedom sticking to one single region?

The real question I think is how they integrate everything with Galar and how they display it in a smooth way.

I hope a reboot doesn't happen, because I am not sure it would work for the series. Agreed it works for a movie, but this is a whole different thing. They would have to rewrite every story from Misty to Serena to Mallow. It would be way easier to build on already known stories. But that is my personal opinion.

Being in Sinnoh again would be a waste if Ash has nothing to do.
If Ash goes back to Sinnoh he will be able to challenge the league again since he already has the 8 badges. In addition, there is an Elite 4 and a Battle Frontier that were heavily teased in the DP series. And of course there's the towering obstacle that is Cynthia. Personally, I'd like to see Ash face Cynthia at the end of the Sinnoh arc, maybe take out one or two of her Pokemon, but otherwise get firmly put in his place. This would let him know that he still has a long way to go.

So I don't think it's fair to say that Ash wouldn't have anything to do going back to Sinnoh. And I only listed things that were mentioned in the DP games/anime. They could easily come up with a new anime-exclusive plot to have him return, such as the potential champions league. There could even be a short arc where Ash travels with Dawn to reenter the Grand Festival. And I think this goes for all regions; there's plenty of untapped potential in every region for new stories, whether it's from the games or completely original story arcs.

If Ash goes back to Sinnoh he will be able to challenge the league again since he already has the 8 badges. In addition, there is an Elite 4 and a Battle Frontier that were heavily teased in the DP series. And of course there's the towering obstacle that is Cynthia. Personally, I'd like to see Ash face Cynthia at the end of the Sinnoh arc, maybe take out one or two of her Pokemon, but otherwise get firmly put in his place. This would let him know that he still has a long way to go.

So I don't think it's fair to say that Ash wouldn't have anything to do going back to Sinnoh. And I only listed things that were mentioned in the DP games/anime. They could easily come up with a new anime-exclusive plot to have him return, such as the potential champions league. There could even be a short arc where Ash travels with Dawn to reenter the Grand Festival. And I think this goes for all regions; there's plenty of untapped potential in every region for new stories, whether it's from the games or completely original story arcs.
I find it funny how people use an idea that is mentioned 10 years ago and nobody mentioned it again afterwards. Which region is going to get shafted, which one is going to get love?

SM is the most recent thing they did. That is more relevant then what they did from OS-XY. Also, it is not just SM, but their formula with movies changed.

Anyway, they already hinted at the next series being different. The fact that streamlined the promotion is a change from what they normally do.

No offense, but you just sound like your in complete denial. This isn’t even about a reboot, any talk of change and you get all pissy about it.
Why do you keep jumping to the movies as an example? They didn't continue the AU after 2 movies. For that matter, most of the movies tend to be standalone entries... even the ones that appear to be a part of the main continuity are often treated as non-canon due to lack of reference in the main anime. I highly doubt they'll continue with SM's formula either.

They only hinted it being different but so was BW different to DP, XY different to BW and SM different to XY. We got an announcement that it would include all the regions, so I can see a lot of jumping back and forth between regions which makes it a different formula than the past ones.

As for that last sentence, I'll just consider it your poor attempt at putting words in my mouth to get under my skin.

Why do you keep jumping to the movies? For that matter, most of the movies tend to be standalone entries... even the ones that appear to be a part of the main continuity are often treated as non-canon due to lack of reference in the main anime. And I highly doubt they'll continue with SM's formula if you're going to point that out over and over.

They only hinted it being different but so was BW different to DP, XY different to BW and SM different to XY. We got an announcement that it would include all the regions, so I can see a lot of jumping back and forth between regions which makes it a different formula than the past ones.

As for that last sentence, I'll just consider it your poor attempt at putting words in my mouth to get under my skin.
Right, it’ll be Ash in Galar collecting 1 or 2 Gym Badges before going to different past Regions. When all the Regions are done, Ash would have all Galar badges to compete in it’s league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom