• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Why do you keep jumping to the movies? For that matter, most of the movies tend to be standalone entries... even the ones that appear to be a part of the main continuity are often treated as non-canon due to lack of reference in the main anime. And I highly doubt they'll continue with SM's formula if you're going to point that out over and over.

They only hinted it being different but so was BW different to DP, XY different to BW and SM different to XY. We got an announcement that it would include all the regions, so I can see a lot of jumping back and forth between regions which makes it a different formula than the past ones.

As for that last sentence, I'll just consider it your poor attempt at putting words in my mouth to get under my skin.
Right, it’ll be Ash in Galar collecting 1 or 2 Gym Badges before going to different past Regions. When all the Regions are done, Ash would have all Galar badges to compete in it’s league.

Reaction score
Here's some food for though on the topic of an AU reboot. Both Rica Matsumoto and the director for SM (I need a source for the latter but I keep hearing about this) have gone out of their way to enforce the idea that Ash winning a league isn't the end of his journey and isn't the last step of becoming a Pokemon master. Now doesn't rebooting the series immediately after Ash wins his first league completely undermine this notion? If winning a league is "one step on his journey", then that means they aren't going to erase it from the canon. These statements (again, I do need source) are pretty hard evidence against a reboot of any kind. If they rebooted, it WOULD be the end of his journey.

Last edited:
Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Here's some food for though on the topic of an AU reboot. Both Rica Matsumoto and the director for SM (I need a source for the latter but I keep hearing about this) have gone out of their way to enforce the idea that Ash winning a league isn't the end of his journey and isn't the last step of becoming a Pokemon master. Now doesn't rebooting the series immediately after Ash wins his first league completely undermine this notion? If winning a league is "one step on his journey", then that means they aren't going to erase it from the canon. These statements (again, I do need source) are pretty hard evidence against a reboot of any kind. If they rebooted, it WOULD be the end of his journey.
The source is like 5 to 10 pages back. But what you’ve described to what Rika said is 98% accurate. Sounds to me that this new anime will be a continuation.

Reaction score
If the 'all regions' thing about showcasing various other characters, does that mean it'll only show past characters who've appeared before? Or would this also include character's who have never made an appearance in the anime?

Last edited:
Reaction score
If the 'all regions' thing about showcasing various other characters, does that mean it'll only show past characters who've appeared before? Or would this also include character's who have never made an appearance in the anime?
It would probably be past characters from previous regions anime-wise, I doubt they'll start chucking in characters who have never showed up in the anime and are currently game-only.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
The one and only, he is by far the best rival we've ever seen on Pokemon
He probably wouldn't think of Ash being Alola's Champion. Although I could see him and Bede on even ground.

The possibilities to what they can do with this new anime is endless.

Watching over Ori and Ku
Reaction score
He probably wouldn't think of Ash being Alola's Champion. Although I could see him and Bede on even ground.
I doubt this. At the end of DP, Paul and Ash formed a bond of mutual respect which is further reflected by Cynthia's words about something being born. If anything, he'll condescend Bede's jerk-ish attitude.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
I doubt this. At the end of DP, Paul and Ash formed a bond of mutual respect which is further reflected by Cynthia's words about something being born. If anything, he'll condescend Bede's jerk-ish attitude.
''When every life meets another life, something will be born''

Friendship, marriage, it can mean many things as it is a versitile saying, which makes those words truly special.

Imagine Bede and Marnie competing for the exact same dream as Ash to become Pokemon Master. Imagine Marnie confronting Cynthia and she explains to her of her own faults.

I can also see Cynthia play more of a role in the anime, especially with Leon, like Steven with Diantha.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do you think that Blaziken will receive a major, supporting or minor role as in the Pokémon Sun & Moon anime series because of being one of the popular Pokémon? Why or why not?

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Do you think that Blaziken will receive a major, supporting or minor role as in the Pokémon Sun & Moon anime series because of being one of the popular Pokémon? Why or why not?
Which Blaziken? The Sun and Moon anime is coming to a close in a few episodes. Perhaps in the new series.

My Blue Sweetheart
Reaction score
I'm honestly impressed this thread has managed to surpass 200 pages on bare bones information.

This month went by a little faster than I was anticipating, but I'm still impatient to find out what's really going on and keep hoping something will leak before Sunday. Maybe Oha Suta will pull through :sneaky:

Status
Not open for further replies.