• The Anime and Manga staff has posted a PSA regarding Go and how we'll handle future cases involving him from now onwards.

We strongly recommend checking out this thread.

Thank you in advance.
  • All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Face the Darkness
Reaction score
Wow this looks like it's going to get interesting. This new character (I am assuming they are a girl, but I'm just going to use they/them pronouns till then), looks quite similar to Ash. The skin tones and eye color are different, but they have similar hair and stuff. They have never had a companion character that looked that close to Ash, so I wonder if they are a cousin or something to Ash. Possibly even a siblin, if this is an alternate universe Ash. It's really weird seeing them have a companion that is so similar looking to Ash, there has to be some sort of reason for it.

It definitely looks like this might be some sort of large travel-based anime, based on the poster. Not only does the poster show off the old Pokemon of all the old regions, but it shows off bi places that those regions are known for. It gives the World Tour sort of vibe. I wonder what this new character's motive is to travel. "And I do think that even if this is an AU Ash, they might be doing something with him being a champion.

The art style looks like a mix of an improved XY and SM, leaning more towards SM with the shapes of the eyes and stuff. Since the anime seems like it's going to be different from the past, I think I am okay with it. I would like to see it more in movement though.

We'll definitely have more of an idea of what's happening in a couple of days, but this sure is interesting for now.
My suspicion is that they are going to have a female lead with a similar personality to Ash. The, go get them, shonen type hero. If they are going that way I wonder how they will distinguish the two so things don't get too repetitive.

Reaction score
She doesn’t come off as a go getter IMO. I think she will be cool and slightly aloof. While Ash will be the hyperactive one

Cute bunny baby
Reaction score
I'm almost 100% sure the new character is a girl, but she is designed to look very boyish and mostly will also act like one.
Maybe go back and read my posts a few pages back. I was confused too but that is actually a girl.
She's a Tomboy like Zoey, look at her Reference and you can see the eyelashes and hairclips.
Absolutely nothing about that character looks feminine to me. It looks straight up like a boy. The eyelashes are so small they don't look noticeable and the "hairclips" just look like different sections of the hair in different colors. If this is supposed to be a female character, well that's just an awful design. That's not even tomboy. Tomboys like Misty and I guess to an extent Zoey still looked like girls. This kid looks straight up male.

And if come Sunday they say that this character actually is supposed to be a girl, well I'll just be even more annoyed that they didn't use Gloria.

Future VA
Reaction score
I'm very happy Ash is returning, though I feel a bit stupid as that should've been obvious.

Sunday really needs to come faster

I love the art style, though Ash's eyes remind me of the weird M21 Ash artwork. Maybe it'll look better in the show like in the movie

Face the Darkness
Reaction score
Absolutely nothing about that character looks feminine to me. It looks straight up like a boy. The eyelashes are so small they don't look noticeable and the "hairclips" just look like different sections of the hair in different colors. If this is supposed to be a female character, well that's just an awful design. That's not even tomboy. Tomboys like Misty and I guess to an extent Zoey still looked like girls. This kid looks straight up male.

And if come Sunday they say that this character actually is supposed to be a girl, well I'll just be even more annoyed that they didn't use Gloria.
Honestly, I've always thought that Misty's tomboyishness was way overstated, but that's beside the point.

Personally I always wait until we see the character in action before judging, the personality is far more important than the design for me.

Watching over Ori and Ku
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how the Art even look similar to XY? I only see SM and a bit of M21.
Look at the shading and the coloring. It looks more detailed like XY's whereas SM's looked 2D and less detailed for the most part. Just look at Ash here and in any SM artwork to know the difference.

Reaction score
Look at the shading and the coloring. It looks more detailed like XY's whereas SM's looked 2D and less detailed for the most part. Just look at Ash here and in any SM artwork to know the difference.
Except it isn't. XY outright overused shading, sometimes you couldn't even tell if there was supposed to be a definite light source due to all the random layers of shading slapped over each other. Shading was used to help a flat character design look more volumetric, but overall it was so overused it just made it worse for itself.

Cute bunny baby
Reaction score
Honestly, I've always thought that Misty's tomboyishness was way overstated, but that's beside the point.

Personally I always wait until we see the character in action before judging, the personality is far more important than the design for me.
I mean I definitely agree, I'm just kind of surprised it all. But I'm certainly looking forward to getting more info on Sunday.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Then that would mean that there will be yet another younger sibling on the main cast.
Nah, just the starters.

Honestly I can see Ash learning the other main character some stuff about other regions, like a mentor
I agree that this new character is going to be a new trainer starting her first Pokemon journey. Though not Gloria, at least she's close enough.

Reaction score
you realize this is the first time a guy that started on his journey who joined ash? Think about it most of the leads were girls who were starting off

Reaction score
you realize this is the first time a guy that started on his journey who joined ash? Think about it most of the leads were girls who were starting off
We don't really have confirmation it is a boy as of yet, though. In fact, first thing I thought was that it was a girl. Very nice tomboyish design, which I would love. While I'd rather they be a girl, it can go both ways: either it's a slightly stereotypically feminine boy (like Illima, kinda?); or a tomboyish girl. Can't look at them objectively, though. When one thinks it's a boy, one looks at them as a boy; and viceversa. So, yeah, we'll just have to wait haha.

You will only shine if you are yourself!
Reaction score
We don't really have confirmation it is a boy as of yet, though. In fact, first thing I thought was that it was a girl. Very nice tomboyish design, which I would love. While I'd rather they be a girl, it can go both ways: either it's a slightly stereotypically feminine boy (like Illima, kinda?); or a tomboyish girl. Can't look at them objectively, though. When one thinks it's a boy, one looks at them as a boy; and viceversa. So, yeah, we'll just have to wait haha.
It is hard to tell tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.