• Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections. Applications are due by November 26th.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
追放されたバカ
Reaction score
Are you guys talking about same-sex-relationships? This is something that Japanese artists have done years before. I can not see why Japan has to catch-up with a concept the American's use now that got inspire day something the Japanese artists have done years before.

Reaction score
I'd presume sexuality, but I'd highly doubt that. I call Japan 'Cyber-Alabama' for a reason.

....I'm going to say this mostly as a joke, but we are more likely to see an official version of Ash with multiple wives than a husband.
Most Japanese probably won't care too much that some anime boy is in a romantic relationship with another male his age. Even the more conservative ones would probably just write some mean comments on Twitter and get bored five seconds later.

I feel like the new kid might be named Tristian. Just a hunch although some variation of Mathew sounds possible. I hope not but I have a gut feeling its going to be a common name.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They are not THAT conservative, the younger generations anyways ... most under the age of 50 probably won't care too much that some anime boy is in a romantic relationship with another male his age. The average Japanese tends to be pretty chill about what's on television, they have bigger things to worry about in real life.

I feel like the new kid might be named Tristian. Just a hunch although some variation of Mathew sounds possible. I hope not but I have a gut feeling its going to be a common name.
Why Tristian?

Reaction score
Most Japanese probably won't care too much that some anime boy is in a romantic relationship with another male his age. Even the more conservative ones would probably just write some mean comments on Twitter and get bored five seconds later.

Let us not forget the public and the producers are two different thing. I mean we are in a bit of a tuffle between what the public wants and what Game Freak wants or chooses to do, for example, and we live in a age where, say, Square Enix is surprised people want JRPGs and that they would be successful.

'Sleeper Hits' are a thing, and that includes Pokemon once upon a time, and Splatoon in modern times in the Nintendosphere.

Reaction score
Why Tristian?
I was thinking about names that would likely be used for a major character in Pokemon. Tristan honestly sounds like the sort of name the writers might give to a character. Why? I can't put my finger on it, but something about the name screams Pokemon protagonist.

Although this is pure speculation on my part, don't take as gospel.

Reaction score
Are you guys talking about same-sex-relationships? This is something that Japanese artists have done years before. I can not see why Japan has to catch-up with a concept the American's use now that got inspire day something the Japanese artists have done years before.
....I've heard it said that while they were more open at it, the way that relationships are handled in general makes it seem less up front and serious.

the Japanese aren't as bold about relationships as Westerners are, and that applies to all relationships.

I'm sure someone more familiar with, say, Yuri on Ice can explain it.

Reaction score
....Why are we focusing on that type of thing? This is Pokemon they are fairly focused more on Pokemon, battling and world building opposed to Social Issues. Plus Japan is an incredibly Conservative so I don't think they'll try playing "catch up", as Grass Type Gardenia, says.

Reaction score
I honestly have no idea.

That said, wonder if Ash and his new companion will get their starters at the same type or met up sometime later after one of them gets their starter from Professor Magnolia.

Prepare for over-used stock animation!
Reaction score
As a gay person myself I’m sitting here laughing at the ignorance some of you guys still have in the year 2019...grow up please and thank you!

On the one hand having gay characters in media is not necessarily “dealing with social issues” because gay people are, surprisingly, normal people but on the other hand this show is so not focused on romance of any kind Serena being the oddity that if anything it would most likely be a same-sex couple COTD.

Always happy to help
Reaction score
In under two hours time, we'll know more about the next series, I can't wait

マーシャンミスター
Reaction score
I'd laugh really hard if this turns out to be a fake after all.
I'd presume sexuality, but I'd highly doubt that. I call Japan 'Cyber-Alabama' for a reason.
According to most lists I've seen on the net, Japan is barely below USA in gay rights, and it's mostly because of lack of legislation regarding certain things.

Eterna City Gym Leader
Reaction score
Not long now till we get info. Only half an hour,
View: https://twitter.com/anipoke_PR/status/1178217872125882368

Translation from Bing:

"People People People
Today is finally the time to

YYYYYYYYY
Today, at 6 pm (TV Tokyo series)
Pokémon in The Sun & Moon Broadcast
The new anime "Pokemon"
 ✨✨✨✨✨✨✨
Details Details Table!

✨✨✨✨✨✨✨

Ladies and gentlemen, it's time to get together in front of the TV #アニポケ"

Majestic
Reaction score
Since the news is finally about to drop in less than an hour, this thread has no use anymore. It's time to turn over a new leaf, so please go here to discuss the new anime series.

Thanks everyone for participating in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.