• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
SwSh looks to me like it'll have the similar vibe to DP and XY. But Character-wise like Advance and XY (Ash, Female Trainer, Gym Leader and little sibling), SwSh would have the similar character-wise to DP (Ash, Female Trainer and Gym Leader) DP is like an extension to Advance (Pokemon, characters, roles, etc.), so SwSh might be to XY.

Then your argument of AG>DP = XY>SwSh still doesn’t work since XY and SM are separate and self contained series (comparatively). They’re mot conjoined like OS. In fact, they're the most clearly divided pair of series.
unless there is a pause period between XY and SwSh.

That’s more to do with the poor writing, pacing, and poor focus distribution rather than the idea of the plot itself.

In this series Rowlet is the only starter which has been handled even marginally well, and even that was to do with Rowlet being ignored in the first half of the saga, and then being given a flurry of focus to compensate.
Popplio evolved twice without any development in the second stage.
Torracat has been flat out ignored and has had less battle opponents than Rowlet in spite of battling being a very important part of its character.

I'd disagree that Rowlet has been handled even marginally well. I don't think that Rowlet being given a flurry of focus episode lately really makes up for doing so little for a good chuck of SM. Despite being used in two Grand Trials, Rowlet had little presence in the series. It spent most of its screentime just sleeping. The amount of focus it has gotten doesn't come off like Rowlet is getting better treatment. It makes me think that the writers are collectively going "Oh shoot, the Alola League is about to start, so we got to give Rowlet more moves to make up for it being virtually useless for most of the series and for not evolving." Giving a Pokemon a few more focused episodes after doing so little for about a hundred episodes also really isn't a sign of being handled even slightly better than the others.

Popplio was never handled that well to begin with since the focus it got was all about using its bubbles instead of battling or doing something. I still feel like the complaints about Torracat come off more like an exaggeration, especially when I can think of plenty of other starter Pokemon who have been treated worse in their respective series than Torracat has been. Being upset that Torracat hasn't battled that much is kind of understandable, but at the same time. SM is not really a battle heavy series. They've effectively removed the regular Trials from the Island Challenge so that Ash can just move straight towards the Grand Trial, most likely because it's closer to a regular Gym battle than a regular Trial is, and that already limits how many battles Torracat can get. Even the other Grand Trials focused on Ash's other Pokemon and Torracat would be at too much of a disadvantage with most of those battles too. It just seems strange to get that upset over Torracat's lack of battling given that battling isn't really a huge deal for SM. Plus, I think only Pikachu and Lycanroc have gotten a good amount of battles out of his Pokemon thus far.

I wonder which of starter will become the new focus of S&S. The Pokemon anime always favorites one over the others. It really depends on the final evolution. Out of the 3 I think Sobble will be the one. Scorbunny seems for me to be the new cute or funny Pokemon. And with Grookey I have the feeling it will evolve into a gorilla or baboon like Pokémon, which is an animal that isn't that appealing for the target demographic.

It also could be the case, that none of the starters have an appealing design and that all of them will either stay in their basic form or their first evolution kinda like with the starters from Gold and Silver. I just hope, if Sobble will be the new main star, that its final evolution isn't too close to that of Greninja. But S&S kinda feels like a second take on the X&Y formula and this is my biggest fear. But there are a lot of evidences for it to happen.
  1. They base The Galar region on Great Britain. They based Kalso on France. Both European countries are very closed to each other.
  2. That one female NPC trainer we saw in the first trailer really strikes a big resemblance to Serena. A lot of fans speculate now that this is a hint that Serena will might return to the anime.
  3. Sobble, the water starter, is a based on a cold-blooded animal and looks overall very similar to Froakie.
  4. There is also a steampunk setting going on in this region, which might be a hint that the second companion will be a mechanic. Similar like Clemont was an inventor.
I really hope this will be not the case. I really do not want the X&Y formula to return. I'm not sure what they want to do with S&S, I just hope it will be something new like S&M. I'm having a blast with S&M.

I wonder which of starter will become the new focus of S&S. The Pokemon anime always favorites one over the others. It really depends on the final evolution. Out of the 3 I think Sobble will be the one. Scorbunny seems for me to be the new cute or funny Pokemon. And with Grookey I have the feeling it will evolve into a gorilla or baboon like Pokémon, which is an animal that isn't that appealing for the target demographic.

It also could be the case, that none of the starters have an appealing design and that all of them will either stay in their basic form or their first evolution kinda like with the starters from Gold and Silver. I just hope, if Sobble will be the new main star, that its final evolution isn't too close to that of Greninja. But S&S kinda feels like a second take on the X&Y formula and this is my biggest fear. But there are a lot of evidences for it to happen.
  1. They base The Galar region on Great Britain. They based Kalso on France. Both European countries are very closed to each other.
  2. That one female NPC trainer we saw in the first trailer really strikes a big resemblance to Serena. A lot of fans speculate now that this is a hint that Serena will might return to the anime.
  3. Sobble, the water starter, is a based on a cold-blooded animal and looks overall very similar to Froakie.
  4. There is also a steampunk setting going on in this region, which might be a hint that the second companion will be a mechanic. Similar like Clemont was an inventor.
I really hope this will be not the case. I really do not want the X&Y formula to return. I'm not sure what they want to do with S&S, I just hope it will be something new like S&M. I'm having a blast with S&M.

If Serena does return, then it would probably be for some big event, similar to May in DP and Dawn in BW. But then, Iris was never seen after BW.

I'm expecting for SwSh to go the similar route as DP with Ash accompanied with the Female Trainer and a Gym Leader of the Galar Region. The Female Trainer would pick Grookey for one it resembling something that girls would pick, and two it would be the first time a female trainer picks a Grass Type for a Starter. May and Serena had Fire Types whilst Dawn a Water Type. Ash would have both Scorbunny for being an athletic battle Pokemon and Sobble as some sort of character improvement arc. Whatever SwSh would turn out being, I'm hoping they make this one stand out.

A lot of that evidence, if not all of it, is just really huge conclusion jumps with little to no information to back them up. Just because Great Britain and France are close to each other doesn't necessarily mean the same will be the case for Kalos and Galar. The new female playable trainer doesn't really look that much like Serena. It wouldn't be impossible for Serena to return, but I wouldn't use the design of the new female playable trainer as evidence for that. Sobble really doesn't look that similar to Froakie to me either. They have a similar shade of blue in their designs, but that's about it. The steampunk setting doesn't really hint that the next secondary companion will be a mechanic. It's hard to say for sure either way when we haven't seen any human characters from the new games yet, but I just don't think it makes much sense to assume a lot from just the little information we know about the games thus far.

Her love for Ash is just to match the stereotype of France.

I don't think that's what they were going for. Kalos was based on France, but it wasn't like Serena was the first girl to have a crush on Ash. It seemed more like just a way to make Serena standout from previous female leads more than anything else.

A lot of that evidence, if not all of it, is just really huge conclusion jumps with little to no information to back them up. Just because Great Britain and France are close to each other doesn't necessarily mean the same will be the case for Kalos and Galar. The new female playable trainer doesn't really look that much like Serena. It wouldn't be impossible for Serena to return, but I wouldn't use the design of the new female playable trainer as evidence for that. Sobble really doesn't look that similar to Froakie to me either. They have a similar shade of blue in their designs, but that's about it. The steampunk setting doesn't really hint that the next secondary companion will be a mechanic. It's hard to say for sure either way when we haven't seen any human characters from the new games yet, but I just don't think it makes much sense to assume a lot from just the little information we know about the games thus far.

I don't think that's what they were going for. Kalos was based on France, but it wasn't like Serena was the first girl to have a crush on Ash. It seemed more like just a way to make Serena standout from previous female leads more than anything else.
Perhaps with the next female trainer they could do something new with her as well?

You're right, and shipping is not a good reason for wanting a character back. Amourshipping is literally the only reason she's so popular.

Yeah, without the shipping angle, Serena would be the most forgettable female companion. Or second most, because Mallow isn't really that outstanding as well.

Perhaps with the next female trainer they could do something new with her as well?

I hope she will be a girl that is into sports. The first trailer kinda hinted at some sport events in the game. A sports girl would be something fresh and unique. Most of the girls seemed to care about cloths, and beautiful things, and been afraid to get dirty. Technically, all of them are very feminine besides Iris. Would be refreshing seeing a girl that is not afraid to get dirty.

Yeah, without the shipping angle, Serena would be the most forgettable female companion. Or second most, because Mallow isn't really that outstanding as well.

I hope she will be a girl that is into sports. The first trailer kinda hinted at some sport events in the game. A sports girl would be something fresh and unique. Most of the girls seemed to care about cloths, and beautiful things, and been afraid to get dirty. Technically, all of them are very feminine besides Iris. Would be refreshing seeing a girl that is not afraid to get dirty.
Perhaps the Female Trainer could be Sporty this time.

I just really liked that in SM, they didn't make any of the starter Pokemon unbearable. Dawn's Piplup and Ash's Oshawott both drove me nuts (which was a huge disappointment because they were both my favorite starter in their respective regions), and Chespin was ridiculously annoying as well (but at least I wasn't attached to that Pokemon that time around!) I think they handled that well in SM. Rowlet is goofy, sure, but it's in a cute/endearing way, not over the top obnoxious. I would really like to see them continue that in the next saga. The starters can have personalities that don't involve being rude, loud, and overbearing.

I'm very interested in the concept of a sporty female companion. I said earlier in the thread that I'd like to see either contests return or a new side quest be introduced (i.e. something far more interesting and well developed than showcases). Something sports/athletic related alongside the Pokemon would be different, especially since both contests and showcases focused on the beauty of Pokemon and their moves. The sports themed episodes in SM were such a delight...part of me almost hopes they were using those as a test drive for a sporty side quest this time around.

I really hope that showcases and contests both will not return. For me they are more or less the same and the performances of all three girls felt kinda similar to me. I see no difference between does two to be honest. If the new girl will go in a similar direction, I can guarantee you she will not stick out much. The new girl can not be just another ripoff of May, Dawn, and Serena. She needs to be her own character. Each girl was this in some form.

1. Misty was the tsundere.
  2. May the first female character with her own goal.
  3. Dawn was the first and only companion that treated as an equal to Ash in terms of her own story and goal.
  4. Iris was the only tomboy of the group and the first dark-skinned girl of the anime.
  5. Serena had the whole shipping drama going on.
  6. Bonnie was the youngest girl so far.
  7. Lillie was the rich girl.
  8. Mallow the first female cook of the group.
  9. And Lana stand out because of unique design and she is also the first spunky girl of the group.

The new girl really needs to be her own character. She can not just be another overly cute, girly character. That would be so boring...

I predict the Honedge line maybe involved in this game and anime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom