• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot can change in three years: Yokai Watch declined in popularity, while My Hero Academia exploded. Dragon Ball Super would have started to pick up steam too, and I am sure other examples of 'action still is popular' can be gleamed.
Patterns do break though, so what's your point?

But Sun and Moon wasn't really well received by fans, which may be a hint they will play it safe with Sword and Shield and will go back to the basics. It could happen, and I have a feeling it will happen.

I don't know about SM not being well recieved by fans. I still don't think it has been nearly as divisive compared to BW. I'll still plenty of love for SM here and on other sites. Plus, I don't think that they'd care about what older fans online say about the series. As long as it does well enough to keep promoting the games, they'll keep doing whatever they want to do with the anime.

Since Gyms are back, there most likely will be some going back to basics, such as Ash traveling around a region and having a smaller cast, but I don't think that would necessarily be bad. While I do generally like SM, Ash staying in one place for most of the series instead of traveling around the Alola region wasn't really a good choice in my opinion. I can see why they did that and that setup does help to make a larger cast more manageable, but it also felt like Alola wasn't explored nearly as much as it could have been. A smaller cast would also be kind of welcomed since only a few of the SM cast members really stood out for me.

I don't know about SM not being well recieved by fans. I still don't think it has been nearly as divisive compared to BW. I'll still plenty of love for SM here and on other sites. Plus, I don't think that they'd care about what older fans online say about the series. As long as it does well enough to keep promoting the games, they'll keep doing whatever they want to do with the anime.

Since Gyms are back, there most likely will be some going back to basics, such as Ash traveling around a region and having a smaller cast, but I don't think that would necessarily be bad. While I do generally like SM, Ash staying in one place for most of the series instead of traveling around the Alola region wasn't really a good choice in my opinion. I can see why they did that and that setup does help to make a larger cast more manageable, but it also felt like Alola wasn't explored nearly as much as it could have been. A smaller cast would also be kind of welcomed since only a few of the SM cast members really stood out for me.
Agreed, the anime is for kids afterall, hence why the recycling of plots over the decades.

But Sun and Moon wasn't really well received by fans, which may be a hint they will play it safe with Sword and Shield and will go back to the basics. It could happen, and I have a feeling it will happen.

Idk who you're referring to when you say fans. Are you talking about the main demographic (i.e. the primary school kids that the show is catered to), or the teens and adults who visit sites like this one to talk about the anime? Because if it's the latter then I don't see why the opinions of us older fans would impact the anime even if you assume that most of the older demographic hates SuMo.

I'm leaning more to the Ash, Female Trainer, Gym Leader pattern myself. The Female Trainer has already shown off far more in the trailer than the Male Trainer has. Also, Sun and Moon had classmates so that didn't count as companions anyway. The only ones close are Misty and Brock.

Well, maybe they can also use an important NPC like Lillie who wasn't a playable character or a gym leader. The girl character must just look young enough and also must have the same appealing body design as the rest. If she has those two things she is companion material.

Last edited:
Well, maybe they can also use an important NPC like Lillie who wasn't a playable character or a gym leader. The girl character must just look young enough and also must have the same appealing body design as the rest. If she has those two things she is companion material.
You mean like Nessa?

We don't know if she's even in the game yet, so we can't predict.

The leaker got pretty much all names revealed right so we can asume that and speculate about her being the potential female character.

But I hope not. Would be another Misty with the (probably) same goal and seeing how flawed she was I don't have any kind of expectations.

The leaker got pretty much all names revealed right so we can asume that and speculate about her being the potential female character.

But I hope not. Would be another Misty with the (probably) same goal and seeing how flawed she was I don't have any kind of expectations.
Except the leak is very sloppy and is full of typos and other general errors. I'm not trusting it just yet.

So... the new female companion will be a water trainer? That would be really not a good idea. That would be way too close to Misty. Especially if she will have a half girly girl, a half tomboy, a half bitchy personality like her. The only things that are missing are the red hair and the fear of bugs.

here is my prediction:

RotomDex will come with Ash as he will transform to Rotomphone

Serena may return for guest appearance

XYZ animation and graphic style will be used.

Some former travel companions or Alolan classmates will come with Ash

Ash will get a Sobble

Why are we bringing the leaks into the anime section? They’re possible spoilers, and people who follow official news might not want to see them.
And we don’t even know where is Nessa, who is Nessa or why is Nessa, let alone what she looks like.

Seriously guys. Please stop posting potential leaks without putting them in spoiler tags. We don't know how legit any leaks are, but I'd rather not have people be accidentally spoiled about the games through a speculation thread on the next anime series. If you want to use leaks to further speculate on the next series, please do so in spoiler tags.

Why are we bringing the leaks into the anime section? They’re possible spoilers, and people who follow official news might not want to see them.
And we don’t even know where is Nessa, who is Nessa or why is Nessa, let alone what she looks like.
She's the supposed Water Type Gym Leader as described by the leak that proved to be real.

She's the supposed Water Type Gym Leader as described by the leak that proved to be real.

This was pretty much my point:
Seriously guys. Please stop posting potential leaks without putting them in spoiler tags. We don't know how legit any leaks are, but I'd rather not have people be accidentally spoiled about the games through a speculation thread on the next anime series. If you want to use leaks to further speculate on the next series, please do so in spoiler tags.

Random leaks (however legit... or not) should not be brought into discussion in a spoiler free anime thread, specially with no context or spoiler tags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom