• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping they bring back the common smaller tournaments like they had in Black and White. All of those stadiums can't go to waste!
Those stadiums are for the gyms. You can tell as much if you compare the trailer and map.

Pokemon Anime Pattern

Gen 1, 2 and 5: Ash travels with two Gym Leaders, with Ash having all 3 Starters. (3)
Gen 3 and 6: Ash travels with Female Trainer, a Gym Leader and a little sibling. Female Trainer gets Fire Type Starter, with Ash getting one starter (Treeko, Froakie) whilst Gym Leader gets the other (Mudkip, Chespin). (1)
Gen 4: Ash travels with Female Trainer and one Gym Leader. Female Trainer gets Water Starter whilst Ash gets Grass and later Fire Type Starter. (2)
Gen 7: Vacation Series where Ash attends School with other schoolmates. Ash gains Grass and Fire Starter, whilst one of the Schoolmates gets a Water Starter. (2)

If Gen 4 is going to have a remake, then Gen 8 will probably follow the same formula where Ash will venture with the Female Trainer and one Gym Leader. (2)

Option A:
Female Trainer: Sobble
Ash: Grookey, later Scorbunny

Option B:
Ash: Scorbunny, later Grookey

Option C:
Female Trainer: Grookey
Ash: Sobble, later Scorbunny

Option D:
Ash: Scorbunny, later Sobble

Wonder how they'll Ashify the outfit, because he looks terrible in the default colors

D1EPCx5U4AEi7lk.png

Solid colors don't suit him at all

Here's what I Expect; and are the ONLY Things that will bring me back into watching the anime;

1. Return to the artstyle of Pokemon the Series: XY-XYZ and Pokemon the Movie: I choose you; and leave the Sun & Moon Artstyle in Alola, and N-E-V-E-R bring it back
  2. Have ash be Competent like in Pokemon the Series: XY, And not have him be a Human Pincushion to be injured by the Region's Pokemon. . . like he is in Alola. . .
  3. Have him return to his goal of Being a Pokemon Master to recieve all 8 Galar Gym batches & enter the Galar League(and Hopefully get to the finals like in Kalos; though WITHOUT a-n-y promotion that Teases a Victory for ash; and Disappoints the entire fandom who wanted to see him win and get the chance to fight a member of the elite 4; They COULD'VE had him win a League, and then have him lose against a member of the elite 4, to give him a reason to continue his journey to the next region; But No; they won't give us what we want; they foolishly see Ash winning the league as the same as ending the series; which is complete & utter BULL****)
I would enjoy it if the dub actually got some British VA's involved just for that sweet authenticity.

I'd easily say this is one of my worst fears for it. I could do without listening to a character that sounds like Lillie but with a cartoony British accent.
PFFTTT. . . Like that would ever happen; THIS IS POKEMON, Not Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2; There's NO Way in the Reverse dimension that The Pokemon Company will actually shell out the Pounds to Acquire the Big Name High Calibur British Voice actors to voice Recurring Characters that will be in every single episode. . . Not only is it crazy expensive, but Also Since the Recording Studio is NOWHERE near the UK; I Doubt any british VAs would spend the time or have the time to spend Recording Lines, when they have more local & reasonable roles to play. . .

Pokemon Anime Pattern

Gen 1, 2 and 5: Ash travels with two Gym Leaders, with Ash having all 3 Starters. (3)
Gen 3 and 6: Ash travels with Female Trainer, a Gym Leader and a little sibling. Female Trainer gets Fire Type Starter, with Ash getting one starter (Treeko, Froakie) whilst Gym Leader gets the other (Mudkip, Chespin). (1)
Gen 4: Ash travels with Female Trainer and one Gym Leader. Female Trainer gets Water Starter whilst Ash gets Grass and later Fire Type Starter. (2)
Gen 7: Vacation Series where Ash attends School with other schoolmates. Ash gains Grass and Fire Starter, whilst one of the Schoolmates gets a Water Starter. (2)

If Gen 4 is going to have a remake, then Gen 8 will probably follow the same formula where Ash will venture with the Female Trainer and one Gym Leader. (2)

Option A:
Ash: Grookey, later Scorbunny

Option B:
Ash: Scorbunny, later Grookey

Option C:
Ash: Sobble, later Scorbunny

Option D:
Ash: Scorbunny, later Sobble
Or;
Since this pattern is happening(Note: the pokemon aren't in order of catching)
Gen 1/Kanto: Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander
Gen 2/Johto: Chikorita, Totodile, Cyndaquil
Gen 3/Hoenn: Treecko Only
Gen 4/Sinnoh: Turtwig & Chimchar Only
Gen 5/Unova: Snivy, Oshawott, & Tepig
Gen 6/Kalos: Froakie Only
Gen 7/Alola: Litten & Rowlet only

as such My Prediction is:

Gen 8/Galar: Scorbunny, Sobble, and Grookey[I Mean both Gen 3 & 6 had Ash only get 1 Starter; Gen 4 & 7 had Ash get only 2 Starters; so Logically Gen 5 & 8 must have Ash recieve all 3; It's the Pattern that's been repeating since Gen 3]

Last edited:
Here's what I Expect; and are the ONLY Things that will bring me back into watching the anime;

1. Return to the artstyle of Pokemon the Series: XY-XYZ and Pokemon the Movie: I choose you; and leave the Sun & Moon Artstyle in Alola, and N-E-V-E-R bring it back
  2. Have ash be Competent like in Pokemon the Series: XY, And not have him be a Human Pincushion to be injured by the Region's Pokemon. . . like he is in Alola. . .
  3. Have him return to his goal of Being a Pokemon Master to recieve all 8 Galar Gym batches & enter the Galar League(and Hopefully get to the finals like in Kalos; though WITHOUT a-n-y promotion that Teases a Victory for ash; and Disappoints the entire fandom who wanted to see him win and get the chance to fight a member of the elite 4; They COULD'VE had him win a League, and then have him lose against a member of the elite 4, to give him a reason to continue his journey to the next region; But No; they won't give us what we want; they foolishly see Ash winning the league as the same as ending the series; which is complete & utter BULL****)
PFFTTT. . . Like that would ever happen; THIS IS POKEMON, Not Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2; There's NO Way in the Reverse dimension that The Pokemon Company will actually shell out the Pounds to Acquire the Big Name High Calibur British Voice actors to voice Recurring Characters that will be in every single episode. . . Not only is it crazy expensive, but Also Since the Recording Studio is NOWHERE near the UK; I Doubt any british VAs would spend the time or have the time to spend Recording Lines, when they have more local & reasonable roles to play. . .

Or;
Since this pattern is happening(Note: the pokemon aren't in order of catching)
Gen 1/Kanto: Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charmander
Gen 2/Johto: Chikorita, Totodile, Cyndaquil
Gen 3/Hoenn: Treecko Only
Gen 4/Sinnoh: Turtwig & Chimchar Only
Gen 5/Unova: Snivy, Oshawott, & Tepig
Gen 6/Kalos: Froakie Only
Gen 7/Alola: Litten & Rowlet only

as such My Prediction is:

Gen 8/Galar: Scorbunny, Sobble, and Grookey[I Mean both Gen 3 & 6 had Ash only get 1 Starter; Gen 4 & 7 had Ash get only 2 Starters; so Logically Gen 5 & 8 must have Ash recieve all 3; It's the Pattern that's been repeating since Gen 3]
Patterns can sometimes break. Gen 7 was more of a vacation series than Gen 4. Also you've forgotten Gen 1 and 2 where Ash had all 3. In Gen 8, for a Gen 4 remake, it would make a lot of sense to repeat the formula. Ash, the female trainer and one Gym Leader.

I don't know if they'll return to the previous art style. I don't mind the SM art style at this point, but I can understand why other people would like it.

Ash still seems pretty competent to me in this series and I don't think he's been used as a human pincushion that much. He's been used for comedy relief of course, but I don't think he's been attacked by Pokemon in SM that much. Despite the Island Challenge still being more of an afterthought, I don't think that Ash has left his goal of being a Pokemon Master or is just on vacation in Alola. I'm positive that he has mentioned that he wants to be a Pokemon Master at least a couple of times throughout SM. Since he'll actually be traveling around in the next series most likely, that will hopefully allow him to make more progress in getting to the Galar League than he has with the Island Challenge.

Pokemon Anime Pattern
Here's the pattern that really matters (To me at least):

Scene 1 of the entire series focuses on new female companion, said companion gets a concrete goal and goal gets a reasonable amount of focus. Companion inches closes to actually being protagonist and makes for a more balanced series.

Scene 1 of the entire series focuses on Ash, female companion(s) have vague goals that aren't well focused on, majority of series focuses on Ash.

So if the pattern holds true we will know within seconds of the series starting

Last edited:
Patterns can sometimes break. Gen 7 was more of a vacation series than Gen 4. Also you've forgotten Gen 1 and 2 where Ash had all 3. In Gen 8, for a Gen 4 remake, it would make a lot of sense to repeat the formula. Ash, the female trainer and one Gym Leader.
I Wasn't including gens 1 & 2; I Specifically said a pattern repeating since Gen 3. . .

Gen 4's anime wasn't like the Gen 2 anime and Gen 7 wasn't like Gen 1.

Here is all of Ash's Pokemon Starters thus far...

Gen 1:
Bulbasaur
Charmander-Charmeleon-Charizard
Squirtle
1 fully evolved

Gen 2:
Chikarita-Bayleef
Cyndaquil
Totodile
1 evolved

Gen 3:
Treeko-Grovyle-Sceptile
1 fully evolved

Gen 4:
Turtwig-Grotle-Torterra
Chimchar-Monfernal-Infernape
(Cyndaquil-Quilava)
2 fully evolved, 1 evolved

Gen 5:
Snivy
Tepig-Pignite
Oshawatt
1 evolved

Gen 6:
Froakie-Frogadier-Greninja
1 fully evovled

Gen 7:
Rowlet
Litten-Torracat
1 evolved

So in Gen 8, Ash could have 2 fully evolved Starter Pokemon.
Why DID the Sun and Moon series have that animation style, anyway? Did the usual animator need a break?

Gen 1- midway Gen 2
Gen 2 midway - Gen 6
Gen 7

I think it's due to contracts I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom