• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m starting to suspect Misty and Brock will make a permanent return with Gen 8 after all the Kanto stuff happening lately. Misty/Brock get two separate cameos in Alola and now a movie? Albeit the movie is a remake but still a new appearance. It feels like the writers are reintroducing Misty/Brock to the younger kid audience who weren’t even born when they were on the show.

With Gen 8 seeming like a return to form with Gyms and whatnot, if they do go back to the original trio over new companions it wouldn’t be that surprising. It’s actually less repetitive than sitting through yet another new female companion who is just going to be another beginning trainer learning how to battle from Ash that we’ve seen so many times now. Given all the other girls like Iris, Serena don’t get cameos and May/Dawn probably won’t ever appear again, Misty is the only girl to get multiple returns in the series. I can see her and Brock returning with new clothes.

I’m starting to suspect Misty and Brock will make a permanent return with Gen 8 after all the Kanto stuff happening lately. Misty/Brock get two separate cameos in Alola and now a movie? Albeit the movie is a remake but still a new appearance. It feels like the writers are reintroducing Misty/Brock to the younger kid audience who weren’t even born when they were on the show.

With Gen 8 seeming like a return to form with Gyms and whatnot, if they do go back to the original trio over new companions it wouldn’t be that surprising. It’s actually less repetitive than sitting through yet another new female companion who is just going to be another beginning trainer learning how to battle from Ash that we’ve seen so many times now. Given all the other girls like Iris, Serena don’t get cameos and May/Dawn probably won’t ever appear again, Misty is the only girl to get multiple returns in the series. I can see her and Brock returning with new clothes.
Ungh... no. Just no.
As much as I hate Misty, she did develop offscreen into someone less hateable between OS and AG, so I could tolerate her return after so long. But Brock? He's been on main cast for half the series, and by the time of D/P it became painfuly obvious that creators have no idea what to do with him and are only keeping him around for nostalgia sake. I don't want a repeat of that.

yeah me too! Especially I want to see the graphic may look like in Gen 8 when Ash travels to Galar, the PokeBritain! :) And the travel partners look like..so glad Gyms return!

I am pretty sure we will see the adventure style come back. Idk why but the whole generation 7 kind kinda "vacation generation" to me. Like I don't know how to describe it. Maybe it was the fact that it was based in a region that is designed off of Hawaii, which is probably one of the most well known vacation spots, at least here in the U.S. The anime especially gave off this feel. The animation style is cute and very comedy friendly and I really love it, but it never seemed like a staple that would remain in the anime. Ash having somewhere to always go back to, instead of constantly being on the move was a great change, but it never felt like one that was going to stay. I am about 85% certain we will be going back to the similar animation style of XY anime, as well as going back to the adventure type storyline.

I think either Scorbunny or Sobble would be great for Ash. Sobble because the little info we have on him tends to potray him as a very timid creature who I can see them doing a whole arc on how he doubts himself, and Ash teaches him that he can be a strong Pokemon and he helps grow and evolve him into a strong and confident Pokemon. Scorbunny because, well, Scorbunny. @Nicolas721 mentioned Scorbunny being very much like a Shonen character and I couldn't agree more. He never much suits Ash's personality.

I think the female player character showed off in the game footage is perfect for our female companion. And gosh, simply because it has never happened in the anime before, I want her to get Grookey. There has never been a female companion of Ash's, that has gotten the Grass starter. Misty technically didn't ever get a starter, but I remember her trying to get the Totodile. May chose Torchic (fire), Dawn chose Piplup (water), Iris didn't have a starter, and Serena chose Fennekin (fire). I think Sobble could work out for the female companion, as I have seen that mentioned a lot. I guess the reasoning behind it being it follows the pattern. And while technically Lana didn't travel with Ash, she technically was a female companion of Ash, who has Popplio, a water type. So I think it's about time the female companion gets the grass starter

Since they just had a shake-up on the companion idea with the Sun and Moon games, I wouldn't mind going back to the generic, Ash, female companion, gym leader idea. But I honestly think I would still like to see a small-shake up with it. I think it would be really cool to see Ash's third companion be a Pokemon researcher of sorts. I just really love this idea (and it's not just because that is one of my favorite things in Pokemon, which is why it's my Title) of having a companion who knows so much about what's in the region and about Pokemon. Always able to provide little details. And there's a few directions they could take their story too. But, after the big switch up they had, I don't see them changing the formula too much.

Gyms are being brought back to the games and with that Ash is guaranteed to go on a journey again in order to collect Badges. That's good news to me because it means that Ash will be actually working towards his goal rather than having fun under the Alolan sun. It also allows the writers to explore the Galar region a lot more I suppose. Alola hasn't been as fleshed out as it could have been in my opinion.

With Ash traveling again, the writers will have to cut down on the number of companions. I think having two companions works fine. I don't hate Max or Bonnie, but we are better off without a younger sibling on the cast.

Other than that, they have given us little information to speculate about. I just want to know if we are getting Diamond and Pearl remakes this generation. If that's true then please bring back Pokémon Contests to the new anime series. The writers obviously knew about Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire but they chose to develop a "brand new" competition for Serena instead of making her a Coordinator. I don't want the same thing to happen here.

Since the region is based on Great Britain, the male companion could be a prince who decided to meet the people of his kingdom face to face instead of attending fancy dinners at fancy castles. He doesn't want to escape royal obligations to go on a Pokémon journey, he just has a different notion of what members of the royal family should be doing and he thinks that a hands-on approach is what's best for the people of Galar.

That's basically it, and I want Team Rocket back, of course.

They probably will go back to another trio, we just had a group of 4 again with XY and then the SM cast was huge, so it's probably just Ash/female companion/male Gym leader again.

nWith Ash traveling again, the writers will have to cut down on the number of companions. I think having two companions works fine. I don't hate Max or Bonnie, but we are better off without a younger sibling on the cast.

Worked well with Bonnie at least, it's not like trios are automatically better as Brock still did very little in DP and the BW trio had problems of its own.

With Gyms being confirmed to reappear, I think we'll likely see a return to form of previous series where Ash will be travelling with two companions, one of which is the female Player Character.

If that happens, then my guesses for the starter distribution would be:

Ash will get Scorbunny (because it fits his energetic personality and would fit in very well with the Gym Challenge if all the football/soccer rumors are true)

The female Player Character will get Sobble (the "cute" yet super-shy starter, would really fit her well if she ends up having a personality similar to Serena and presumably takes part in some new feature that's not Gym Battles)

And Grookey will go to either Ash or the as-yet-unknown male companion, depending on the situation.

This will most likely be a return to the travel and badge formula. I also think that Ash will most likely revert back to his XY self.

I kind of hope they'll do something different with the cast this time around and not include any Gym Leader characters in the main cast (For simplicity, I'm counting the Trial Captains as Gym Leaders since they are similar.) Every series has had at least 1 Gym Leader companion and with Sun and Moon including a whopping 4 Trial Captains, I'd really like to see if they can do a traveling group without any. And I get that Lana, Sophocles, Kiawe, and Mallow don't actually have the job of being Trial Captains in the anime, but still.

If they did a group of Ash, the female PC, and the male PC, that would be fantastic.

I've wondered this myself. I don't think I'd say it's likely but I'm not counting it out either, and I definitely won't be surprised if they get more guest appearances.

Other than that, they have given us little information to speculate about. I just want to know if we are getting Diamond and Pearl remakes this generation. If that's true then please bring back Pokémon Contests to the new anime series. The writers obviously knew about Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire but they chose to develop a "brand new" competition for Serena instead of making her a Coordinator. I don't want the same thing to happen here.

I wish they'd just bring back Contests as a regular feature, both games and anime. And make Dawn the official co-star again.

I wish they'd just bring back Contests as a regular feature, both games and anime. And make Dawn the official co-star again.

I think Dawn is in an awkward position where she's now pretty much in the middle of all the older pokegirls, but came way after the nostalgia of the first few gens ended and the other female companions are just more recent and would be more due for returns like if Serena or the SM cast ever appear again. If we get DP remakes in the future she could theoretically reappear for a few eps, but it may also not happen. They say things in the middle tend to be forgotten overall, call it "middle child syndrome" and it's unfortunate all the sagas/female leads in the middle between the nostalgic OS and the current sagas tend to be ignored. Once Gen 8 starts Dawn/Iris/Serena will all essentially be in the middle portion of the series, so it's probably more difficult for the writers to decide to include them in any capacity again.

If Sword and Shield is going to get a Gen 4 remake, then the anime might reflect that to Diamond and Pearl in some shape or form. My prediction is this.

Gen 1, 2, 5: Ash journeys with two Gym Leaders and has all three Starters.
Gen 3, 6: Ash journeys with female trainer with Gym Leader and Little sibling, with each having a starter. (both female trainers having Fire Type, whilst Grass and Water were swapped around.)
Gen 4: Ash journeys with female trainer with Gym Leader, with Ash having two Starters whilst the female trainer having one. (female trainer having Water Type, whilst Ash had Grass and Fire)
Gen 7: Ash attends school with students, with Ash having two Starters whilst one student having one. (female Trial Captain having Water Type, whilst Ash had Grass and Fire)

I firmly believe that Sword and Shield Anime will go down a Gen 4 formula this time around, with the female trainer journeying with Ash with one of the starters, whilst Ash will have two. Perhaps in a flip compared with Gen 4 and 7. The female having Grookey whilst Ash having Scorbunny and later Sobble. Or maybe the other-way around. We'll find out more once we've come to that bridge.

Here’s one I got:

Ash loses the league in Galar.

That’s it, really.

I'm hoping they bring back the common smaller tournaments like they had in Black and White. All of those stadiums can't go to waste!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom