• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why DID the Sun and Moon series have that animation style, anyway? Did the usual animator need a break?
Simplified designs are easier to animate, and the series has had some good animation, but it's either wasted on slapstick or background events involving the pokemon while the human characters are stuck with 2-5 frames of animation

Simplified designs are easier to animate, and the series has had some good animation, but it's either wasted on slapstick or background events involving the pokemon while the human characters are stuck with 2-5 frames of animation
even so; personally for me; It's still not anywhere near as enjoyable as the animation for Pokemon the series: XY; And Pokemon the Movie: I Choose you(which THANKFULLY Returns to the artstyle similar to Pokemon the series: XY) And Pokemon's not supposed to look like One Piece, they're not the same show; h3ck, they're not even the same TYPE of show!!

I really hope the One Piece-esque artstyle stays in alola; and doesn't return for Pokemon the series: Sword & Shield, where I Hope it's more similar to XY Artstyle. . . I Don't care if it's not as easy to animate as the simplified alola artstyle; It looked much better back in Kalos. . .

::Anime Starter pattern::

Theme: Ash, two Gym Leaders

Gen 2:
(Ash's)
Chikorita-Bayleef
Cyndaquil
Totodile

Gen 5:
(Ash's)
Snivy
Tepig-Pignite
Oshowatt

In this diagram when comparing Johto and Unova, Ash catches all three starters and is teamed up with two Gym Leaders. Evolution are both similar, but whilst in Johto his Grass Starter evolves, in Unova his Fire Type evolves. This pattern was made to mirror the past Gen 2 remake.

---

Theme: Ash, Female Trainer, Gym Leader and Younger Sibling.

Gen 3:
(Ash) Treeko-Grovyle-Sceptile
(May) Torchic-Combusken-Blaziken
(Brock) Mudkip-Marshtomps

Gen 6:
(Clemont) Chespin
(Serena) Fennekin-Braixon
(Ash) Froakie-Frogadier-Greninja

Both Hoenn and Kalos had Ash journeying with the Region's Female Player, Gym Leader and little sibling. This pattern was made for Gen 6 to correlate with the Gen 3 Remake. Both Female Players have a Fire Type Starter, whilst Ash would have one whilst the Gym Leader have the other. Grass and Water were swapped around in comparison of the two, and whilst Clemont's Chespin doesn't evolve compared with Brock's Marshtomps, and Serena's Braixon compared with May's Blaziken, Ash's Sceptile and Greninja both fully evolve.

---

Theme: Ash, Female Trainer and Gym Leader

Gen 4:
(Ash's)
Turtwig-Grotle-Torterra
Chimchar-Monferno-Infernape
(Dawn) Piplup

---

Theme: Ash, five classmates, and later two Gym Leaders

Gen 7:
(Ash's)
Rowlit
Litten-Torracat
(Lana) Popleo

I cannot see the comparison between Gen 4 and Gen 7 Trainer-wise. The only thing I can see being similar are the Pokemon. But unlike Gen 4 where both Starter Pokemon fully evolved, only Litten has evolved into Torracat. Piplup and Popleo both stayed the same, but yet handled by two different trainers. Whilst Dawn is the Female Pokemon Player, Lana is a Trial Captain of Water Types. It especially doesn't help when Misty and Brock returned to Ash once more. This is the mirror specifically towards the Gen 1 Let's Go remake.

---

If Gen 8 is going to have anything in the anime, it's this...

Theme: Ash, Female Trainer and Gym Leader

Gen 4:
(Shield) Grookey
(Ash's)
Scorbunny
Sobble

By looking at the themes in past anime, especially with Gen 3 and Gen 6's pattern, I can clearly see that if Gen 4 is going to have a remake made, possibly for next year, then wouldn't it make any sense to use the same theme to Gen 4 for Gen 8? The only difference is if we flip they starters around, where to counter Dawn's Piplup, then Shield could have a Grookey. Ash would then have a Scorbunny, and then later a Sobble from an abusive trainer like Paul. Or the roles might be flipped the other-way around, this is all just speculation at this point.

There is no set pattern to how many starters Ash should have, I'm only looking at what this might correlate to.

The girl usually gets the cutest or most feminine starter:

May: Torchic (she could have gotten Mudkip too, but Torchic matches May's color scheme and Blaziken is always associated with her), Treecko is always associated with Brendan/Ash or Shota as the male pokemon
Dawn: Piplup, obviously the cutest of the 3 in DP and why it didn't evolve
Serena: Fennekin, it's a feminine fox especially it's evolution as Braixen.
Lana: Popplio because of course it's evolutions are so feminine

Other girls like Lillie with Vulpix, Mallow with Tsareena, Iris starting with Axew, or Misty with Psyduck/Togepi also have the obvious cute/feminine main pokemon relation even if they're not starters.

Knowing how stereotypical the anime is, the next female companion will also probably have only cute or feminine pokemon.

The girl usually gets the cutest or most feminine starter:

May: Torchic (she could have gotten Mudkip too, but Torchic matches May's color scheme and Blaziken is always associated with her), Treecko is always associated with Brendan/Ash or Shota as the male pokemon
Dawn: Piplup, obviously the cutest of the 3 in DP and why it didn't evolve
Serena: Fennekin, it's a feminine fox especially it's evolution as Braixen.
Lana: Popplio because of course it's evolutions are so feminine

Other girls like Lillie with Vulpix, Mallow with Tsareena, Iris starting with Axew, or Misty with Psyduck/Togepi also have the obvious cute/feminine main pokemon relation even if they're not starters.

Knowing how stereotypical the anime is, the next female companion will also probably have only cute or feminine pokemon.
So, either Grookey or Sobble then.

This is just me but Grookey seems like a very "Ash" Pokemon, but who knows, I'm just guessing for now. As far as the rival goes, I think it be cool if they went somewhere along the lines of the Diamond & Pearl route again where the rival is an experienced trainer with a fully evolved starter by the time they meet Ash, like Paul was. I also hope the rival makes more appearances throughout this next series; I actually like Gladion in the anime, but he doesn't appear often enough unfortunately.

This is just me but Grookey seems like a very "Ash" Pokemon, but who knows, I'm just guessing for now. As far as the rival goes, I think it be cool if they went somewhere along the lines of the Diamond & Pearl route again where the rival is an experienced trainer with a fully evolved starter by the time they meet Ash, like Paul was. I also hope the rival makes more appearances throughout this next series; I actually like Gladion in the anime, but he doesn't appear often enough unfortunately.

Gladion is certified with the ''Paul Approved Pathetic!'' stamp lol

What if Gen 6 is parallel to Gen 3 because of Gen 3 remake, whilst Gen 7 is Gen 3.5 (between Gen 3 and 4 because of second Gen 1 remake)

Meaning that Gen 8 could be Gen 4 proper, with Gen 4 remake.

Gen 1
Gen 2
Gen 3 with Gen 1 Remake
Gen 4 with Gen 2 Remake
Gen 5 (Gen 2 Theme)
Gen 6 with Gen 3 Remake (Gen 3 Theme)
Gen 7 with Second Gen 1 Remake (Gen 3.5 Theme)
Gen 8 with Gen 4 Remake (Gen 4 Theme)

Later on

Gen 9 with Second Gen 2 Remake (Gen 4.5 Theme)
Gen 10 with Gen 5 Remake (Gen 5 Theme)
Gen 11 (Gen 5.5 Theme)
Gen 12 with Gen 6 Remake (Gen 6 Theme)

Last edited:
I still have no idea why Ash wiggling his bottom is considered twerking or why people are so fixated on that. It was silly looking, but I don't think it's the same thing as twerking and it's a bit ridiculous to be upset over it when I think he's only done it twice up to this point in the series.

Gen 5 (Gen 2 Theme)
Gen 6 with Gen 3 Remake (Gen 3 Theme)
Gen 7 with Second Gen 1 Remake (Gen 3.5 Theme)
Gen 8 with Gen 4 Remake (Gen 4 Theme)
What do these themes even mean? Apart from starters and companions, which don't apply to SM at all. Is 3.5 just an arbitrary way of saying "this doesn't count"?

What do these themes even mean? Apart from starters and companions, which don't apply to SM at all. Is 3.5 just an arbitrary way of saying "this doesn't count"?
I said Gen 3.5 to means between Gen 3 and Gen 4. Around ''Advanced Battle'' and ''Battle Frontier'' level in the anime. FireRed, LeafGreen and Emerald with Games.

Okay, but how is SM comparable to the Battle Frontier saga? Surely the Orange Islands are a better comparison?

Also, what would "4.5" be? The short HGSS arc that wasn't all that special?

Okay, but how is SM comparable to the Battle Frontier saga? Surely the Orange Islands are a better comparison?

Also, what would "4.5" be? The short HGSS arc that wasn't all that special?
Probably Gold and Silver for 4.5 Gen. I'm saying this because of the second Gen 1 remake and Emerald (Zygarde) with Sun and Moon being similar to the Gen 1 Remake for Ruby and Sapphire.

So for Gen 8 we could see Diamond, Pearl and Platinum.

There was twerking?

I'm guessing you haven't watched SuMo before? It's full of try-hard, unfunny moments and yes, Ash shook his money maker at the audience in twerk-like fashion before in a certain episode that I try to forget. My whole point was that I just hope SS can find a way to not go overboard on silly, memetic humor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom