• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
im not sure but arent the gym leaders are gym master seems likey the arena will be different maybe more optical course like soccer field

Not sure if its been mentioned, but would the animation style of SM carry over to S & S? Would it fit the British style region, or would people prefer something more akin to X & Y with Kalos?

Not sure if its been mentioned, but would the animation style of SM carry over to S & S? Would it fit the British style region, or would people prefer something more akin to X & Y with Kalos?
It's hard to discuss with them considering it's Japanese.

After the episode today and thinking back on Ash's previous captures, I realized that Ash has caught the majority of his Pokemon without battling them. I think the region where Ash battled the most of his captures was Hoenn, where he battled all but Torkoal. I'd kind of like to see more instances of Ash just coming upon a Pokemon in the wild, deciding he wants to catch it for whatever reason, battling it, and catching it. Idk if it's just because Ash has so far only battled Litten in Alola, but it just feels like forever since Ash has battled a Pokemon for his team.

So for Galar, I'm hoping for a change of pace. I'd like for Ash to catch at least half of his team through battles. So if he only catches 5, I hope 3 will be battled. If he pulls a Unova catches like 8 Pokemon, I hope 4 will be battled.

And on that note, I really hope they don't pull a Unova and give Ash like 8 captures. But with how slow Ash was to build his teams for both Kalos and now Alola, I worry that they might be tempted to go crazy with captures. Hopefully not...

I don't see why that reasoning doesn't make sense. It's not like we've been in a similar situation before. Also, I'm not saying that there will be huge interactions between Kalos and Galar, I'm just saying that I think that the likelihood of Kalos references is much higher than Alolan ones. Which gives you a hint of how I personally don't see Alola and Galar working together although the latter is the former's transition.

It doesn't make sense because we don't know how close the Kalos and Galar regions are. This theory is based entirely on how close France and England are to each other. Just because those countries are close to each other doesn't necessarily mean that Kalos and Galar would be close to each other either. I'm not saying that it's impossible for them to throw in more Kalos references. I just think that the reasoning is a pretty huge stretch. Aside from Johto, all of the new regions have been pretty far away from each other and they'll probably do the same thing with the Galar region.

Diamond & Pearl said:
Let me rephrase that: continuity in the anime has gradually been decreasing since Gen V.

I'm not sure if that really works either. It's a better way to phrase it, but each series is still in the same continuity. Plus, it's hard to say that it has been decreasing when both BW and SM have had more references to past events than XY did.

It doesn't make sense because we don't know how close the Kalos and Galar regions are.

Aside from Johto, all of the new regions have been pretty far away from each other and they'll probably do the same thing with the Galar region.

These two quotes contradict each other. Obviously regions aside from Johto are far away from each other; that's because they really are in real life. With Galar and Kalos, which are neighbouring countries with a shared history, we'll head to a situation we've never been before. Which doesn't mean I'm not uncertain about the distance between Galar and Kalos; it's a situation we've never been before after all.

Plus, it's hard to say that it has been decreasing when both BW and SM have had more references to past events than XY did.

SM with its cheap marketing tactics (a.k.a. Kanto pandering)...

Last edited:
Obviously regions aside from Johto are far away from each other; that's because they really are in real life.
Kanto, Kansai (Johto), Kyushu (Hoenn), and Hokkaido (Sinnoh) are all literally in the same small country in real life.

It's definitely still too early to say for sure whether they'll take into consideration France and the UK being close irl or not.

Unless Meltan has a connection in the plot with Galar? Even though it is an Alola Pokemon.
Is it from Alola? It only appears in the Yellow remakes for gen VII but in none of the other gen VII games that actually take place in Alola, and I'm not even sure it's from Kanto anyway. Plus, in the anime, iirc, its first appearance is underwater near a shipwreck which might as well have come from Galar or anywhere else.

I've honestly had a feeling Meltan was supposed to be from Galar ever since the first SS trailer showed up with the big industrial city and all; it matches Meltan too much to be coincidence.

Last edited:
These two quotes contradict each other. Obviously regions aside from Johto are far away from each other; that's because they really are in real life. With Galar and Kalos, which are neighbouring countries with a shared history, we'll head to a situation we've never been before. Which doesn't mean I'm not uncertain about the distance between Galar and Kalos; it's a situation we've never been before after all.

I think the "distance" thing was an invention by the producers/writers of the anime to have a reason to not have Ash recall his older Pokemon for Gen V. They clearly broke that when Charizard was recalled.

Team Rocket even dropped off their mon and Wobbuffet to keep with the "Unova is an isolated region" approach. In real life, yes the regions that inspired Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh are based on Japan, but in the context of the games we really have no idea how close these regions are to the others besides the obvious (Kanto and Johto).

Kanto, Kansai (Johto), Kyushu (Hoenn), and Hokkaido (Sinnoh) are all literally in the same small country in real life.
Compared to Galar (Britain) and Kalos (Northern France), Sinnoh (Hokkaido) and Hoenn (Kyushu) are far apart from both each other and Kanto.

I thought that the first four regions were based on areas in Japan, but only Kanto and Johto seemed connected. Ash and his friends could simply walk from Pallet Town to Johto, while Ash needed to go on a boat to travel to Hoenn and Sinnoh. That's why I said that all of the other regions have been far away from each other, or at least the anime gave off that impression to me.

I just think people are too focused on the countries that Kalos and Galar are based on and assuming that they're going to be closed by due to how close France and England are. I'm not saying that it's impossible. I just think that the logic is a stretch due to relying entirely on distances in the real world to determine the chances of XY references. We don't know if Kalos and Galar are going to be close to each other and assuming that they are because of France and England just seems like a bit much to me. New York isn't close to Japan, but that didn't stop them from having Dawn show up, bringing Charizard back or showing all of Ash's Pokemon at the end BW. That's why I just don't really see how the distance between France and England means much of anything in regards to the chances of XY references in the new series. They'll throw in references to past events if they want to, regardless of how far away the countries regions are based on are in the real world.

Diamond & Pearl said:

It's kind of hard to dismiss it all as just Kanto pandering when the games were full of Kanto references too. Besides that, the series still has more past references than XY, regardless of whether one sees it as simply Kanto pandering, which is why I wouldn't say that continuity has gotten weaker since BW per say.

That's why I just don't really see how the distance between France and England means much of anything in regards to the chances of XY references in the new series.

Obviously the most decisive factor as to how many XY references will be in the next series lies in Game Freak's decisions. If the relevance of Kalos is kept to a minimum in SwoShi, XY references will probably be less than SM references in the next series. Personally, being able to visit Kalos in the post-game is something I think will not happen.

Let's see how GF will handle two neighbouring separate countries with close ties.

Last edited:
Ash's outfit
No It didn't; He wore Different Clothes; and even if he did get it in the last episode of BW, IT DOESN'T COUNT; AS IT'S THE L-A-S-T EPISODE OF THAT GENERATION. . . and so it doesn't count as carrying over. . . as it would if it were the same outfit from the start of Best Wishes. . .

I don't think that Gen 8 will be the same as Gen 4.
Me Neither; Especially since I See Ash getting ALL 3 Starter Pokemon like he did in Gens 1,2, & 5. . . and Not just one of them like in gens 3 & 6, or 2 of them like in Gens 4 & 7. . .

I'd Prefer the artstyle of Pokemon the Series: XY; AND Pokemon the Movie: I choose you. . . I LOATHED The Sun & Moon Artstyle; it was one of many things that turned me off of that series. . .

Just like Gen 3 didn't have connections to Gen 1 except for later on in the series to correlate with the Gen 1 remake with Misty returning and May getting a Squirtle. Gen 4 followed Gen 3 but without the younger sibling, and later correlates to the Gen 2 remake later on with Dawn getting a Cyndaquil.

Gen 1-4 are what I call the Japanese Regions because of their bases, whilst Gen 4-8 are the International Regions.

Gen 6 later correlated with Gen 3's remake by sharing the similar trainer pattern, Gen 7 correlated with the second Gen 1 remake by having Misty and Brock back, yet also having starters to trainers similar to that to Gen 4.

If Gen 8 is to correlate with Gen 4, then we would see a female trainer and a gym leader, but with different Pokemon swapped around.

it's just a rough guess, but you get the idea from what I'm trying to point out.
You're just using arbitrary patterns that can be broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom