• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Animation will probably stay the same as Sun and Moon.

Unless there is proof of some other animation studio taking over after them, and if so please post? One comment on a youtube video said that the crew who did X and Y are coming back to do Sword and Shield, but yet there's not proof.
As far as I'm concerned both are by somewhat the same team, aside from individual people moving to different studios or teams within OLM, and of course, new people joining the studio.

Animation will probably stay the same as Sun and Moon.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! If that's the case; I'M NOT WATCHING THIS ONE EITHER. . . because YES, I Do have a problem with it. I hated the SUMO artstyle when it was revealed; and I still hate it; and am yearning for the artstyle from Pokemon the series: XY

Last edited:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! If that's the case; I'M NOT WATCHING THIS ONE EITHER. . . because YES, I Do have a problem with it. I hated the SUMO artstyle when it was revealed; and I still hate it; and am yearning for the artstyle from Pokemon the series: XY
Just as fans are yearning for Serena to come back. It'll probably never happen. It is a company that instead of asking people of what they want, they tell us of what we want.

Just as fans are yearning for Serena to come back. It'll probably never happen. It is a company that instead of asking people of what they want, they tell us of what we want.
I've given up on Serena coming back; But I'm NOT gonna watch the anime if Pokemon The Series: Sword & Shield Shares the same s****y Artstyle as Pokemon the series: Sun & Moon. . .

I've given up on Serena coming back; But I'm NOT gonna watch the anime if Pokemon The Series: Sword & Shield Shares the same s****y Artstyle as Pokemon the series: Sun & Moon. . .
Someone on one youtube video said that he or she heard that the studio that did X and Y will be doing Sword and Shield, but then, where's the proof? I didn't even bother watching Pokemon since Battle Dimensions, the only reason of why I'm going to be watching Sword and Shield is because my country is being represented at last. From day 1, I've watched Gen 1 till halfway of Gen 2, and didn't bother watching until I got Pokemon Diamond as my first Pokemon Game, where I then watched bits of Gen 1 and 2, Advanced, Diamond and Pearl and Battle Dimensions. I then stopped when I saw that some of the plots were rehashes from the original, like how Ash got Turtwig being similar to Ash getting Bulbasaur. Also my country wasn't shown in the films. So I've vowed myself to not watch the anime and just play the games till my country has it's own Region. Now I've re-watched Gen 1 and 2.

Okay, this is super minor, but I hope that in Sw/Sh Ash either sees Scorbunny, Grookey, and/or Sobble at the professor's lab once he gets to Galar or he is told by someone that they are the starters. As far as I remember, Alola never acknowledged Rowlet, Litten, or Popplio as the starters of the region, by Kukui or anyone else. It always felt weird to me considering Ash always at some point learns at least 1 of the starters of the region is a starter. In Alola, they were introduced as regular Pokemon. I'm not sure why that minor little detail bothers me so much, but it does, so hopefully the starters are introduced as such :p
Probably felt it wasn't necessary. Remember, the group is not traveling and Ash is on Vacation.

Probably felt it wasn't necessary. Remember, the group is not traveling and Ash is on Vacation.
Ash will probably be going around Galar with the Female Trainer and one of the Gym Leaders of the Region. Ash will probably get Scorbunny (having similar traits to Turtwig whowill act as a wise Pokemon) and later Sobble (similar to Chimchar of being mistreated), whilst the Female Trainer will get Grookey (similar to Piplup who probably be full of itself)

Also, Ash got all three Pokemon in Gen 1 and 2, so there can still be a way to break the pattern seeing that Gen 7 was more of a Vacation Arc, plus Misty and Brock do show up in that series. so here's what the pattern could be in order of Grass, Fire and Water.

Gen 1: 3 (Ash)
Gen 2: 3 (Ash)
Gen 3: 1 (Ash), 1 (May), 1 (Brock)
Gen 4: 2 (Ash), 1 (Dawn)
Gen 5: 3 (Ash)
Gen 6: 1 (Clemont), 1 (Serena), 1 (Ash)
Gen 7: 2 (Ash), 1 (Lana)
Gen 8: 1 (Galar Female Trainer), 2 (Ash)

Last edited:
So assuming the next female companion is a beginning trainer again, would you rather they not have a goal at first or know exactly what they want to do? Do you prefer the female companion take some time to figure out what she wants to do or do you want them to have a goal from the start? Similar to how May or Serena didn't know what they wanted to do, or Dawn who knew she wanted to be a coordinator from the start. Then again this is assuming we don't get another female Gym leader companion similar to Misty or Iris.

I think both setups can work for the female leads, but I think that knowing what they want to do would be the best option. The main downside to the characters not knowing what goal they want to pursue is that it can take them much longer for them to start making progress towards that goal. It didn't take May too long to decide on becoming a Coordinator, but it still took quite awhile for her to compete in her first Contest, let alone getting her first ribbon. Serena took nearly the first year of XY to decide on being a Pokemon Performer. While she had some good character development as the result of her Showcase journey, it was definitely more rushed than it could have been if Showcases were featured much earlier in XY and weren't only relevant for a little over a year in the series's run. Dawn knowing that she wanted to be a Coordinator definitely helped in her overall storyline. She was able to make progress sooner than May and they could just jump right into DP Contests. Although, I'm sure that the writers already being familiar with writing Contests and DP being a longer series than AG helped with that as well. I think having the female lead take time to find their goal can work, but it shouldn't take too long at the same time.

I still would absolutely love it if they could bring back Contests. It's a long shot obviously and it depends on if they are featured in the new games, but it would be so cool. Contests were the best goal for the female leads, offered a bit of variety from the regular Gym battles with a different kind of Pokemon competition and I still feel like the anime lost something important after Contests were dropped. I'd also be happy if there was just some kind of new competition in the games that could be adapted into a goal for the female lead, which is probably more likely than Contests coming back. Not having a more battle active goal for the female leads or just making up something like Showcases again most likely wouldn't work out.

As far as I'm concerned both are by somewhat the same team, aside from individual people moving to different studios or teams within OLM, and of course, new people joining the studio.

Yeah, outside of some the movies, I'm pretty sure that each series has been animated by the same studio. There might have been some new animators for SM, although I'm not sure, but it was still done by the same studio. That may not guarantee that the next series will look the same as SM, but the art style wasn't the result of Pokemon being animated by a different studio as far as I know at least.

I can get them not feeling it's super necessary with the laid back nature of the series, but I still don't think it would have been too hard to make one little acknowledgement to at least one of them being starters at some point.

I think both setups can work for the female leads, but I think that knowing what they want to do would be the best option. The main downside to the characters not knowing what goal they want to pursue is that it can take them much longer for them to start making progress towards that goal. It didn't take May too long to decide on becoming a Coordinator, but it still took quite awhile for her to compete in her first Contest, let alone getting her first ribbon. Serena took nearly the first year of XY to decide on being a Pokemon Performer. While she had some good character development as the result of her Showcase journey, it was definitely more rushed than it could have been if Showcases were featured much earlier in XY and weren't only relevant for a little over a year in the series's run. Dawn knowing that she wanted to be a Coordinator definitely helped in her overall storyline. She was able to make progress sooner than May and they could just jump right into DP Contests. Although, I'm sure that the writers already being familiar with writing Contests and DP being a longer series than AG helped with that as well. I think having the female lead take time to find their goal can work, but it shouldn't take too long at the same time.

I still would absolutely love it if they could bring back Contests. It's a long shot obviously and it depends on if they are featured in the new games, but it would be so cool. Contests were the best goal for the female leads, offered a bit of variety from the regular Gym battles with a different kind of Pokemon competition and I still feel like the anime lost something important after Contests were dropped. I'd also be happy if there was just some kind of new competition in the games that could be adapted into a goal for the female lead, which is probably more likely than Contests coming back. Not having a more battle active goal for the female leads or just making up something like Showcases again most likely wouldn't work out.

Yeah, outside of some the movies, I'm pretty sure that each series has been animated by the same studio. There might have been some new animators for SM, although I'm not sure, but it was still done by the same studio. That may not guarantee that the next series will look the same as SM, but the art style wasn't the result of Pokemon being animated by a different studio as far as I know at least.
I Just hope it looks much less like Alola and More like XY as far as the artstyle goes. . . or at least the artstyle of Pokemon the Movie: I Choose you. . .

I Just hope it looks much less like Alola and More like XY as far as the artstyle goes. . . or at least the artstyle of Pokemon the Movie: I Choose you. . .
I'm also hoping for Sword and Shield to go down a similar serious arc as Diamond and Pearl.

I'm also hoping for Sword and Shield to go down a similar serious arc as Diamond and Pearl.
aside from returning to a more XY-Esque Artstyle; I'd also want to see this happen in the anime(I Know It's a Pipe Dream; But A Man can dream, can't he?):
  1. Ash getting Sobble & Scorbunny, but NOT Grookey[goes to the Scottish Female Trainer. . . since the only other time he HASN'T Gotten the grass-type starter was in Kalos; I Mean, he got Bulbasaur, Chikorita, Treecko, Turtwig, Snivy, and Rowlet, but not Chespin(THANK GOODNESS)]
  2. More Traveling, & a full party of 6 Pokemon, getting Gym Badges and entering the Galar League
  3. Female Trainer Companion based off of the Female Playable Protagonist from the Games[I.E. May, Dawn, and Serena(My Personal Favorite; and even if the series never brings her back; I can always ship it, and look at fanart of said shipping)]
  4. Ash Reaching the Finals. . . though to prevent another massive internet backlash or episode that even the writers themselves hate; Don't hype it up, or give the fans false hope for something the executives refuse to let happen that the fans are desperate for. . . or if he DOES win; Make it so winning the League is basically the Anime's version of Victory Road; and Winning said Victory Road/Pokemon League allows him to face off against the elite 4; and have him lose to a member of the elite 4, to give a legitimate reason to move on(and have it so that he can win a league, but Still have a reason to travel to the next region; since Diantha still would've been the champion; so Even though Alain won; he'd still have to take on all members of the Kalosian Elite 4, in order to be allowed to take on the champion, and challenge her in an official championship match; so NO winning the league does NOT make him the champion of a region, and no there's MUCH more to being a Pokemon Master than just winning 1 single Region's League); since The Elite 4 is very strong; It's much more believable for him to legitimately lose against an E4 Member, than A * * * * ING IDIOT LIKE CAMERON. . . or any other a * * * Pull the anime gives to make him lose; like putting the * * * *ING Best Wishes Writers in charge of writing the Kalos League Finals. . .

Last edited:
Someone on one youtube video said that he or she heard that the studio that did X and Y will be doing Sword and Shield, but then, where's the proof?
Pretty sure the very same studio is doing SM at present?...
Artstyle is likely to shift (in a small way or a big one) regardless, as it has done in arguably every series, but at least since the DP/BW transition.

Yeah, I do have to say, I miss contests. I'm really hoping we see a return of those...Pokémon Showcases were a nice try at something different, but they were never nearly as interesting as contests. Just like the trials in Alola, the writers really dropped the ball there (although, in fairness, I don't actually know how interesting you could really make showcases...)

I know maybe people were a little bored of them after May and Dawn did them back-to-back, but I still think they both had among the best character development over the course of their series, and far more interesting rivals, and contests were at the heart of that.

Unfortunately, my guess is they'll just insert some other new sidequest and give that to the new female companion. If that's the case, I really hope they put a little more care into them and make them more dynamic, more interesting to watch, and a better point of development for the character.

If I had a choice, though...I'd really love to see contests come back for another round, maybe with some new kind of twist incorporated in it (nothing major; I like the difference between dressing up in Sinnoh's contests versus Hoenn and Kanto...something small like that to keep it fresh.)

Winning said Victory Road/Pokemon League allows him to face off against the elite 4; and have him lose to a member of the elite 4
Such a thing does exist in the anime. Its called the Champion's League. If you win a regional league, you can go on to take on the Champion's League, but they never use it as an option for Ash. Ash could easily win a league, then go on to lose in the Champion's League. He loses there and realizes he needs to get stronger if he ever wants to reach the top, then he goes onto the next region.

They haven't mentioned the Champion League since BW. Despite Alain winning the Kalos League, the concept of facing off against the Elite 4 and Diantha in a Champion League never came up. Granted, he probably wouldn't want to become Champion after unknowingly help Team Flare, but it is kind of strange that it didn't come up all the same. They could still use the Champion League as a way for Ash to lose and motivate him to go to another region, but it doesn't seem like a consistent concept in the anime. I guess that isn't surprising when it wasn't mentioned until DP.

I wanted love craft monsters to become special group of pokémon equivalent to Ultra Beasts. That will be a interesting plot to bring into this series, especially with the travelling to one location to another location to resolve the crisis.

With Misty's return in Alola, could there possibly be the return of other Female Trainers in the future?

If Contests make a return in Galar, and the Female Trainer is into it, what if there could be a huge event where May, Dawn and Selena would be competing? Similar to the Wallace Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom