• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this is what I remember about past series' prerelease periods:

Best Wishes
  • June 2010: Vague plot details leak from an animator.
  • July 1st, 2010: Series name official reveal, Iris & Cilan silouette, aired in TV.
  • July 2010: BW004 character sheet leak.
  • August 1st, 2010: Iris & Cilan revealed, teaser poster, via Pokemon Sunday.
  • August 26th, 2010: Ash reveal, final poster, official trailer.
  • September 23th, 2010: TvTokyo premiere.
XY
  • June 28th, 2013: Series name official reveal, Ash & starters reveal via webpage post.
  • July 2013: Teaser poster, first trailer.
  • Around August-September: Ash vs Viola trailer.
  • September 15th, 2013: Final poster with Serena, Clemont & Bonnie via Corocoro.
  • October 17th, 2013: TvTokyo premiere.
SM
  • Around June-July: Merchandise confirmation that there will be a new series later in the year. (Or that happened in XY? Either way, it's pretty much always a given).
  • Early September: Name reveal via merchandise.
  • September 15th, 2016 (leaked 2-3 days before because Corocoro): Official reveal & final poster with Ash and everyone.
  • September 14th, 2016: First trailer.
  • Around mid-October: Second trailer with opening, character details, TR designs.
  • November 17, 2016: TvTokyo premiere.
The first details should come between 2.5 to 2 months before the premiere. And in all 3 cases Ash's role has been revealed after he's already been defeated in the league, don't forget that.

Would love it if the next companion turns out to be related to the Champion which would make a change, trying to live up to their parent's standard
That would be an interesting plot line. Good idea

I just noticed. Every time there is a new Pokemon series based on a new console, they would normally end the last series on a cliffhanger, with Ash travelling to the new Region. It's if Ash is transitioning from the old console to the next, and notice that Ash just returns to Pallet Town when the next Gen game is on the same console as the last (Gen 4 and 5 on the DS/ Gen 6 and 7 on the 3DS)

Original Series (GB/GBC) - Ends in a cliffhanger with Ash travelling to Hoenn
Advance Series (GBA) - Ends in a cliffhanger with Ash travelling to Sinnoh
Diamond and Pearl Series (DS) - Ends with Ash returning to Pallet Town
Black and White Series (DS) - Ends in a cliffhanger with Ash travelling to Kalos
X and Y Series (3DS) - Ends with Ash returning to Pallet Town

Here is what will likely happen

Sun and Moon Series (3DS) - Ends in a cliffhanger with Ash travelling to Galar

One thing honestly I hope they avoid this saga is some of the repetitive overused running gags. I've been marathoning episodes from a bunch of different sagas recently, and maybe this is just the effect of being older now, but MAN, some of these gags have gotten really annoying. There are ones I love like Victreebel eating James, but others like Brock falling in love with almost Every. Random. Girl. He. Sees that just makes me roll my eyes or sigh now, and don't get me started on that running gag with Bonnie. Apologies for the negativity, just needed to get that off my chest.

I feel like I need to add this. I really like Brock, he's my favorite human character along with May and Dawn. Also I love humor, and the anime would be lacking without it, I just developed certain standards is all.

Ok, not reading all the pages for now but maybe gradually, it's still half a year to go. Anyway, one thing I'd even bet some money on, Pokémon soccer will be a big thing, maybe even the goal to master of the rival/one of Ash's friend and there's also a chance of contests coming back and Pokémon polo might also play a role though not as prominent featured as soccer.
With the first trailer I suspected a chance of Serena coming back, given Galar is based on Britain and Britain is a close neighbor to France, which Kalos clearly was based on. But I guess the brown haired gal will be traveling alongside Ash though she could also be the rival for whatever female companion Ash will get. I also suspect Ash first (and maybe only starter from Galar) will be Scorbunny due it seemingly a speedy type just like Ash seems to prefer. It also could be Grookey since the way I imagine an ape/chimpanzee is, matches the goofy, dumb, childish and obvious nature of Ash pretty well. On the other hand, he already had one in the Diamond and Pearl series so Grookey may more likely go to a friend of his.
There might be more to come to mind later with new knowledge of SwaSh but I also want to be careful with getting any glimpse of the games so I might not follow anything regarding Pokémon at all before it's release.
Have a nice day and see you around.

Grookey screams regional ace to me so I think Ash could fully evolve it into it's final stage. Scorbunny is probably going to be the comedic relief in the hands of probably the female protagonist, if she's the companion for him so that means there's no reason for Grookey to not evolve. Sobble could work as well, but Grookey is fitting as the regional ace more. Maybe both could fully evolve. Would make a nice callback to DP, the monkey starter fully evolved + ace and the other also, but hopefully Sobble won't suck at the end like Torterra.

I pray to all saints that Grookey will be more like Turtwig than Rowlet if Ash catches one. I'm sick of gag Pokemon on Ash's team, especially when they're Starters. I don't think I could tolerate Grookey being the clown of Ash's Galar team.

My guess is that the female trainer would have Grookey because none thus far had a Grass Starter. Whilst Ash would have Scorbunny and Sobble.

It just depends on how battle-focused the Sword & Shield anime is, because Ash usually fully evolves his starters in more battle-oriented sagas like AG, DP, and XY.

Hopefully Sword & Shield will be more battle focused than Sun and Moon, slice of life has been good (in some episodes) but want to return to how it usually is

Hopefully Sword & Shield will be more battle focused than Sun and Moon, slice of life has been good (in some episodes) but want to return to how it usually is
Sun and Moon was more of a vacation arc, so when Ash goes to Galar he would be pumped and wearing for a challenge in similar formula to DP and XY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom