• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that the female trainer would have Grookey because none thus far had a Grass Starter.

So because something hasn't happened before... somehow that makes it more likely to happen now? People say this about Ash winning a major League too, and look how that's turned out.

Gag mon of the future:

Grookey
I think that Scorbunny is better suited as a battle Pokemon. It gives off an athletic vibe. I don't know why people think that it would be a gagmon.
Agreed, Ash having Scorbunny would make sense for a Battling Pokemon, with Sobble being a Pokemon he could help train. Grookey meanwhile has somewhat of a Torchic, Piplup and Fennekin feel to it

What about it gives off that impression?

Because of design alone. Suits Ash the most and is the most "boyish" and cool looking of the three while Scorbunny is the cute one girls would like to have just like Torchic, Piplup and Fennekin and because of that going to the potential female protagonist. And Sobble is something in between which also could suit Ash but Grookey fits him

Gag mon of the future:

I can actually see it having a mix between Chespin and Piplup in personality.

Because of design alone. Suits Ash the most and is the most "boyish" and cool looking of the three while Scorbunny is the cute one girls would like to have just like Torchic, Piplup and Fennekin and because of that going to the potential female protagonist. And Sobble is something in between which also could suit Ash but Grookey fits him

I can actually see it having a mix between Chespin and Piplup in personality.
Are you actually looking at the Pokemon? Scorbunny is very athletic in appearance and behavior according to the trailer. I think that Ash is definitely getting it.

while Scorbunny is the cute one girls would like to have just like Torchic
Scorbunny is the athletic type and athletic=cool for schoolboys.

Whereas Grookey is outright stated to be mischievous on the website...

I'm predicting: Scorbunny and Sobble for Ash, and Grookey for the female companion.

Because of design alone.

Wow. IMO Grookey's design screams feminine to me... I still think Ash will get Scorbunny. He might get Sobble as well but I'd prefer if the male companion gets Sobble cause I don't think they pull off Ash having more than one starter well.

My pipe dream is for Citron/Clemont to return and get a Sobble. The colours match perfectly. And imagine if his Luxray gets a mega evolution?! OOF!

Wow. IMO Grookey's design screams feminine to me... I still think Ash will get Scorbunny. He might get Sobble as well but I'd prefer if the male companion gets Sobble cause I don't think they pull off Ash having more than one starter well.
My pipe dream is for Citron/Clemont to return and get a Sobble. The colours match perfectly. And imagine if his Luxray gets a mega evolution?! OOF!
I somehow see Sobble owned by an abusive trainer similar to what Charmander and Chimchar had before becoming Ash’s

And even if they want to maintain one sad story starter per saga, Litten clearly shows they can make new stories, not reusing the same trainer-leaves-starter plot.

True but sadly, they haven't explored much of it apart from Stoutland

Meowth clearly learnt what happened in SM016 but nothing has been explained

True but sadly, they haven't explored much of it apart from Stoutland

That’s more to do with the poor writing, pacing, and poor focus distribution rather than the idea of the plot itself.

In this series Rowlet is the only starter which has been handled even marginally well, and even that was to do with Rowlet being ignored in the first half of the saga, and then being given a flurry of focus to compensate.
Popplio evolved twice without any development in the second stage.
Torracat has been flat out ignored and has had less battle opponents than Rowlet in spite of battling being a very important part of its character.

That’s more to do with the poor writing, pacing, and poor focus distribution rather than the idea of the plot itself.

In this series Rowlet is the only starter which has been handled even marginally well, and even that was to do with Rowlet being ignored in the first half of the saga, and then being given a flurry of focus to compensate.
Popplio evolved twice without any development in the second stage.
Torracat has been flat out ignored and has had less battle opponents than Rowlet in spite of battling being a very important part of its character.

Agreed, so here's hoping Sword and Shield puts their starters to good use

The trailer for Sword and Shield gives me a huge X&Y wipe and that kinda worries me. X&Y was for me personally the most boring out of all the animes. Matureness means nothing in Pokémon, because for that characters need depth and layered personalities. Something that a concept like Pokémon can't offer. Like the whole shipping drama with Serena. It didn't matter at all because the anime treated this "relationship" more like a running gag. Pokémon is good for me if it just pure, happy, dumb fun.

If it really wants to be more mature, the closest template would be for me the style of the D&P anime. But please, for the love of Arceus, not something like X&Y again. I hope, the writers come up with something new. Since D&P ended each anime after this series felt like it tried to be its own unique take on the formula. BW was... well, a failed experiment, X&Y was pointless shipping drama, and S&M was a more a slice and life anime similar to Yokai-Watch. I want S&S to be its own thing.

Here are my hopes and wishes:

1. Ash will have as much personality as he had in S&M, but I think they could make him smarter.
  2. For the Pokémon, I hope that he will get Grookey, since it looks like a very energetic, happy Pokémon, just like Ash is as a human.
  3. As for the new female companion, I just hope the writers will give us a girl with a new core personality. I do not want another tsundere like Misty, or a tomboy like Iris, I also do not want a girly girl that makes showcases again like Dawn, May, and Serena before her, if that happens, she wouldn't feel unique at all. Heck, she can even be a wild cave girl that was frozen in an ice block and brought back in modern times for what I care. Just make her more outstanding. The girls kinda blend in with each other more and more.
  4. With the mail companion, it is the same. Do not make him the cook of the group or give him a running gag that has something to do with finding a girlfriend. Like with the girl the male companion needs to be his own unique characters.
  5. The female companion (or even the male one) must not get an Eevee. I'm so tired of this Pokémon. We had now 3 girls in the group that had an Eevee in their team. It gets boring.
  6. For Team Rocket, I am neutral on them. I care little about them. If they are in S&S good, if not also fine by me.
  7. The art style can be whatever fits best with the region and the atmosphere of the new anime.

Last edited:
Wait there's a trailer for Sword and Shield already?

Edit Like I mean the anime trailer. Not the Game trailer.

Yeah, sorry I thought there was an anime trailer lol. that's my bad, sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom