• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have exceptionally low expectations for the anime now after today's direct. It's not that I hate the games they are producing, they just seem like rehashes of SM/USUM. Hopefully with gym battles we can see the more competitive Ash come back.

Milo just looks a bit too tall and buff to really work as the secondary male character of the group. Brock looked older than Ash, but not as significantly as Milo does. I wouldn't be against it if it did happen, but he just looks a bit too old and I don't know if they'd bother to make him younger when I'm sure that there are other characters much more fitting for that role as they already are.

I also didn't realize that the new Pokedex is a Rotom Phone. Honestly, that's a bit weak compared to other Pokedex mainly because it looks too much like a regular phone. That might be the point, but it loses a bit of the charm of the designs from previous Pokedexs. In any case, if Rotom does come with Ash to Galar, that wouldn't necessarily mean that the tone will still be more comedic and light hearted. Rotom will probably still be used for jokes, but I don't think that they rely on it that often for gags in SM, so that doesn't really mean anything for the tone of this series. At the very least, we probably aren't going to have a slice of life kind of series when Ash has to go to different Gyms and there seems to be more focus on battling too.

It took me awhile to realize that the Dynamax process involved the Pokemon going back into their Pokeballs, which would pose a problem for Pikachu. I'm sure that they'll find someway around it just so that they can promote that feature with Pikachu. A giant Pikachu would certainly grab attention. I think limiting to certain areas is good for both the games and the show. That way it isn't an easy instant win move like Z-Move primarily have been in SM. It also doesn't destroy any sense of tension if Ash could just turn his Pokemon into giants at any time he wanted to do so.

I really hope that the Dynamax thing isn't going to be as overused as Z-Moves. It already sounds sketchy to me and I'm a bit worried that it'll be used as a crutch to get Ash out of certain situations by conveniently beefing up his Pokemon.

From the trailer, I’ll make the following statements:

1-Rotom is returning (obviously), but now it will either be less goofy or the comic relief of the group (in which case the audience will now have only one target to loathe rather than 7)

2-oh boy, the shippers are gonna have a field day if the assistant shows up

3-considering how many liberties are taken, Pikazilla will likely make its way through. I’d like if the ‘return to pokeball’ was addressed as an issue for him though.

4-the champion has a Charizard. I bet the writers had a champaigne bottle after watching the trailer just because of that.

It took me awhile to realize that the Dynamax process involved the Pokemon going back into their Pokeballs, which would pose a problem for Pikachu. I'm sure that they'll find someway around it just so that they can promote that feature with Pikachu.

The official site confirms that you only need the Dynamax band for it to work, the Poke Ball is more of an aestethic thing.

Pokémon become huge Dynamax phenomenon | Official Website | Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield

Well I'm certainly interested to see how the anime handles this new mechanic. Hopefully it's not too in our faces, but still shown off a fair amount.

And hopefully the amounts of collateral damage done to the cities our heroes visit is kept at a minimal. ;) I'm looking at you giant Tentacruel.

What if...

Ash gets the Rotom phone but the Rotom that's functioning the phone isn't the same Rotom that functions the Pokedex in Alola?

I find that highly unlikely. What's the point in introducing another Rotom when there's already one wants to stay with Ash to pursue its goal of being the greatest Pokedex in the world (which it's most likely to accomplish with Ash considering all the rare Pokemon Ash encounters)?

Pokémon Sword & Shield anime speculation/wish list

•The Power of Us art style
•XY and XYZ 3D camera battle style
•Ash’s personality balance between S&M and XY XYZ
•Ash gets all three starters (at least sobble or grookey)
•Female rival (not a friendly rival)
•two companions Hop (Leon the champions younger brother) will be one of them
•call backs to Kalos (maybe cameos from sycamore,Alain)
•Serena will return
•Rotom will go with ash as rotom phone or something along those lines

Last edited:
My hopes and wishes:

• Ash will get Grookey and Scorbunny. Sobble can go either to the new girl or the new boy companion.
  • Ash personality can be as fun and likeable as he was in S&M, but as smart as he was in D&P. But please, bring not back Ash's personality from X&Y. That was the most boring Ash.
  • Whoever the new companions will be, make them interact with each other as much as the cast of S&M or the Original Series. But not like the other ones. Brock barely interacted with any of the female companions, and we can say the same about Cilan and Iris, and Serena only had eyes for Ash. The cast of Sun and moon felt like real friends.
  • Please, let Serena stay in Hoeen, or Kalos, or wherever she is. She can come back as a small guest appearance but for the love of Arceus, please do not bring her back as a regular character. All she did was blushing over Ash and not much else. If it wasn't for the shipping, she would be the most forgettable female lead of the whole series.
  • Rotom can come with Ash. I don't mind.
  • The animation must be as fluid as S&M. Everything after that would be a downgrade for me. But they have to try something else. Something that fits better with the style of the Galar region.
  • The tone of the anime should be closer to that of D&P. D&P is actually a good balance of comedy and adventure. X&Y was just over-exaggerated drama and the layback feeling of S&M doesn't fit really well with the British region of Galar.

Last edited:
Hop doesn't really feel like companion material. Especially when he is met to be a rival. Rivals never travel with Ash. I think we will get once again two gym leaders as companions.
  1. Original Series: 2 gym leaders.
  2. Advanced Generation: 1 gym leader, 1 playable female character, and 1 younger sibling.
  3. Diamond and Pearl: 1 gym leader and 1 playable female character.
  4. Best Wishes: 2 gym leaders.
  5. X&Y: 1 gym leader, 1 playable female character, and 1 younger sibling.
  6. Sun and Moon: 1 NPC character and 4 of the younger-looking trial captains. S&M is the first anime to kinda break the rules for the companions.
But I still kinda have the feeling, that we will go back to the basics. S&M wasn't really that well received by the fans. At least here in the west. Maybe they will play it safe once again and make another attempt to copy the formula of the Original Series as they tried with Best Wishes. In that case, the male gym leader would a very talented cook and will have his own running gag going and the female gym leader would argue a lot with Ash and will focus on a specific Pokemon type. Probably will also have a big fear of a specific type. Maybe this time the girl is afraid of ghost types because they can be scary. Plus, isn't England kinda known for many ghost stories?

What if...

Ash gets the Rotom phone but the Rotom that's functioning the phone isn't the same Rotom that functions the Pokedex in Alola?

I suppose that isn't impossible, but it seems pretty unlikely. It would seem a bit strange to introduce a new Rotom when they already established that the Rotom Dex Ash currently has wants to be the world's best Pokedex and wants to be with Ash in order to achieve that goal. It might sound more plausible if they didn't already have an episode in SM dealing with the possibility of the two splitting up and then deciding to stay together. The Rotom Dex for this series might not stand out that much since it looks pretty small in the games and in the official artwork.

My hopes and wishes:

• Ash will get Grookey and Scorbunny. Sobble can go either to the new girl or the new boy companion.
  • Ash personality can be as fun and likeable like he was in S&M, but as smart as he was in D&P. But please, bring not back Ash's personality from X&Y. That was the most boring Ash.
  • Whoever the new companions will be, make them interact with each other as much as the cast of S&M or the Original Series. But not like the other ones. Brock barely interacted with any of the female companions, and we can say the same about Cilan and Iris, and Serena only had eyes for Ash. The cast of Sun and moon felt like real friends.
  • Please, let Serena stay in Hoeen, or Kalos, or where ever she is. She can come back as a small guest appearance but for the love of Arceus, please do not bring her back as a regular character. All she did was blushing over Ash and not much else. If it wasn't for the shipping, she would be the most forgettable female lead of the whole series.
  • Rotom can come with Ash. I don't mind.
  • The animation must be as fluid as S&M. Everything after that would be a downgrade for me. But they have to try something else. Something that fits better with the style of the Galar region.
  • The tone of the anime should be closer to that of D&P. D&P is actually a good balance of comedy and adventure. X&Y was just over-exaggerated drama and the layback feeling of S&M doesn't fit really well with the British region of Galar.

Do people really think that Serena has a chance of returning as a main character? I'm sure that plenty of fans would like that, but there is no way that she'll become a main character again. The most that fans could reasonably expect would be a couple of episodes where she appears in Galar for some reason or a special showcasing whatever she's doing on her journey. There's just no chance that she'll become a main character again. Stuff like Britain and France being close together or how the new playable female character supposedly looks like Serena doesn't really mean anything.

What if...

What would even be the point in that? There's a perfectly annoying Rotom right there in Ash's current Dex for Ash to bring with him to Galar.

It took me awhile to realize that the Dynamax process involved the Pokemon going back into their Pokeballs, which would pose a problem for Pikachu. I'm sure that they'll find someway around it just so that they can promote that feature with Pikachu. A giant Pikachu would certainly grab attention. I think limiting to certain areas is good for both the games and the show. That way it isn't an easy instant win move like Z-Move primarily have been in SM. It also doesn't destroy any sense of tension if Ash could just turn his Pokemon into giants at any time he wanted to do so.

Well looks like it won't be happening to Pikachu

I'm going to defer to the usual "Ash can never have nice things" statement.

Ash was practically denied the ability to Mega Evolve any of his Pokemon in XY/XYZ, he was denied the chance to obtain a Lucario, and probably other things that would be rooted to the games. I was actually surprised Ash was allowed to use z-moves on such a large scale (if he truly wanted too), and even his Lycanroc got it's own form, and Ash's Pikachu got a z-move that is pretty specific only to anything that is "Ash's Pikachu".

I'll be surprised to see how SwSh will be handled, I'm pretty sure an alternative will be developed that is specific to Ash and Pikachu that will represent Dynamax in some fashion. Similar to how Ash's Greninja got the Ash-Greninja form. In hindsight, I wish "battle bond" actually became a thing in the games as a larger mechanic than just something for Greninja. Game Freak and TCPi can keep Dynamax and Z-moves (even though Z-moves have awesome animation in the games themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom