• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to defer to the usual "Ash can never have nice things" statement.

Ash was practically denied the ability to Mega Evolve any of his Pokemon in XY/XYZ, he was denied the chance to obtain a Lucario, and probably other things that would be rooted to the games. I was actually surprised Ash was allowed to use z-moves on such a large scale (if he truly wanted too), and even his Lycanroc got it's own form, and Ash's Pikachu got a z-move that is pretty specific only to anything that is "Ash's Pikachu".

I'll be surprised to see how SwSh will be handled, I'm pretty sure an alternative will be developed that is specific to Ash and Pikachu that will represent Dynamax in some fashion. Similar to how Ash's Greninja got the Ash-Greninja form. In hindsight, I wish "battle bond" actually became a thing in the games as a larger mechanic than just something for Greninja. Game Freak and TCPi can keep Dynamax and Z-moves (even though Z-moves have awesome animation in the games themselves

He was denied Megas because no Gen 6 Pokemon had them until Diancie in ORAS.

Any Pokemon can use Z-Moves, so there was nothing stopping Ash from getting a Z-Ring.

Dynamax also isn't limited to specific Pokemon, so there's nothing stopping Ash from using it.

Honestly, I can see Milo being tall for his age like the gentle giant archetype. It would certainly explain the baby-face. I can see that character being thoughtful and brotherly, but not quite the walking encyclopedia that Ash's male companions normally are. Hopefully that'll be the playable female companion, or a fourth character altogether.

Honestly, I can see Milo being tall for his age like the gentle giant archetype. It would certainly explain the baby-face. I can see that character being thoughtful and brotherly, but not quite the walking encyclopedia that Ash's male companions normally are. Hopefully that'll be the playable female companion, or a fourth character altogether.

Rotom took over the walking encyclopedia role in Sun & Moon, so if he comes back, he can continue filling that role instead of introducing another character.

I hope he stays away from the cast tbh. I want all the cast members to at least look good this time around, and Milo isn't exactly a 10/10.

Remember how Ash managed to kinda "mega-evolve" a Greninja in XY with no stones?
I don't remember it.
I find that highly unlikely. What's the point in introducing another Rotom when there's already one wants to stay with Ash to pursue its goal of being the greatest Pokedex in the world (which it's most likely to accomplish with Ash considering all the rare Pokemon Ash encounters)?
Oak's Rotom say hello.

I don't remember it.

Oak's Rotom say hello.

Oak's Rotom belongs to Oak, and Rotom Dex wasn't thought of at the time, which is why they made a new Rotom for Ash.

This time though, there's already a Rotom that fills the exact same function.

I'd also like to point out that the phone isn't the only use for Rotom. There are also Rotom inhabiting the camera drones in the stadiums.

D8Un9iEVUAAryXQ.jpg

Galar seems to be putting even more emphasis on Rotom than Alola did. You have a Rotom Phone, your rival has a Rotom Phone, and the stadiums have Rotom Drones. If Rotom is going to be everywhere in the Galar region, it makes perfect sense for Ash to keep the one he already has.

Last edited:
It figures that not even 24 hours after stating my wishes for a sporty sidequest, the direct would (kind of ) crush those dreams by handing them off to gyms instead. Honestly? If they're gonna have Ash compete his gym battles in front of a big, cheering crowd in that sports uniform get up...I can 100% get down with that. I'm a huge sports fan and Ash is my favorite character, so for me, that's some dream content right there.

Also have to say, as soon as I saw Milo, I kind of got the vibe he could be a travelling companion. He didn't really seem that "old" to me...his face looked pretty young. I mean, Kiawe sure as heck doesn't look like a 10-12 year old kid. It's not something I'm banking on...but I could see it.

I couldn't get over how bad Hop's name is. Imagine naming your first kid Leon (totally normal name) and your second kid...Hop. I almost laughed out loud during the direct, no joke! I'm just gonna pretend that's a nickname, lol. Despite the name thing, he's a great looking character and I'd love to see him appear as Ash's main rival. Hau has been criminally underused in SM; his game character is one of my all time favorites.

Dynamaxing is...pretty yikes. But you know we're gonna be seeing it in the anime. It won't be the first time we've seen giant Pokemon, but...I just think it's a bit of a silly concept. I liked seeing mega evolution and z moves incorporated in the anime. I don't really feel the same about dynamaxing.

Last but certainly not least: somebody better be catching a Wooloo. I don't care who. I want that adorable ball of wool on the main cast.

Leon is a name you gave to a cool totally-not-evil dude, while Hop is the ultimate name you could give to a joke character. And I can see Milo as the new Brock.

I'm going to defer to the usual "Ash can never have nice things" statement.

Ash was practically denied the ability to Mega Evolve any of his Pokemon in XY/XYZ, he was denied the chance to obtain a Lucario, and probably other things that would be rooted to the games. I was actually surprised Ash was allowed to use z-moves on such a large scale (if he truly wanted too), and even his Lycanroc got it's own form, and Ash's Pikachu got a z-move that is pretty specific only to anything that is "Ash's Pikachu".

I'll be surprised to see how SwSh will be handled, I'm pretty sure an alternative will be developed that is specific to Ash and Pikachu that will represent Dynamax in some fashion. Similar to how Ash's Greninja got the Ash-Greninja form. In hindsight, I wish "battle bond" actually became a thing in the games as a larger mechanic than just something for Greninja. Game Freak and TCPi can keep Dynamax and Z-moves (even though Z-moves have awesome animation in the games themselves

It's hard to say that he was denied the ability to Mega Evolve his Pokemon when he was given a special Ash Greninja form instead and it basically functioned like a Mega Pokemon. Plus, most of the Mega Pokemon were only for older Pokemon and they didn't want to bring in Ash's older Pokemon to showcase that feature. As much as I would have loved to see Ash capture a Riolu and raise it into a Lucario, I don't think it's accurate to say he was denied the chance to obtain one. They just wanted to give Ash other Pokemon to promote, especially when there were other characters who could promote Lucario. I don't think that it was that shocking for Ash to use Z-Moves. Unlike Mega Evolution, they weren't forced to just a specific kind of Pokemon, so that allowed him to use a larger variety of Z-Moves.

Although, as it was already pointed out, it seems that trainers only need the Dynamax Band in order to have their Pokemon grow, so Ash should be able to Dynamax his Pikachu if that is the case.

He was denied Megas because no Gen 6 Pokemon had them until Diancie in ORAS.

I thought that Diancie could Mega Evolve in X/Y as well.

Also have to say, as soon as I saw Milo, I kind of got the vibe he could be a travelling companion. He didn't really seem that "old" to me...his face looked pretty young. I mean, Kiawe sure as heck doesn't look like a 10-12 year old kid. It's not something I'm banking on...but I could see it.

Kiawe only looks slightly older than the rest of the cast. I always figured he was about twelve or thirteen, so he didn't look out of place among the cast. Milo definitely looks more like an adult and I don't see them putting someone that much older than Ash in the main cast. He might be just tall and buff for his age, but I don't really see it happening.

Islander Princess said:
Last but certainly not least: somebody better be catching a Wooloo. I don't care who. I want that adorable ball of wool on the main cast.

Wooloo is quite adorable and one of my favorites of the Pokemon introduced in this morning's Pokemon Direct. I could see it possibly being caught by the female lead.

With the new Sword and Shield trailer, I thought I'd put more thoughts and speculation on the anime.

I do think with the gyms now having a for-sure confirmed showing, along with these games being very battle-centric, I think we will be abandoning the SM art styles, but for sure the slice of life school anime idea. SM has been a breath of fresh air for the Pokemon anime, and I've really enjoyed what I have watched, but it will be nice going back to the old style. As for what I want the anime style to be, I can see them doing a simply upgraded version of XY's anime, or changing it up a little bit.

I think they will go back to their usual Ash, Female Companion, Male Gym Leader style, which I'm glad for. I hope they will be giving her Grookey as her starter, especially since there has not been a single female companion who has gotten the grass starter. It would also fit pretty well, seeing as XY gave Serena the fire type starter, gave Lana the water type starter in SM (no, Lana was not a traveling companion, but she was a female companion of Ash's). It would only fi that they finally gave the female companion Grookey. Ash will get Sobble or Scorbunny (or both).

I am not sure if I can see the male gym leader companion being Milo. It's not that I don't like his design (if anything it's just a bit derpy), it's his physical similarities to Cilan, as well as being a Grass type gym leader, like Cilan was. His eyes look nearly identical to what Cilan's were in the anime. I wouldn't be upset if it ended up being him though. He seems like a gentle giant sorta guy, which I really like. Just unsure.

If they did do a fourth character this time around, I think I can definitely see that part going to Sonia. She's honestly perfect for the role. A researcher who already completed her Pokemon journey, to go on it again and have more of an experience while conducting her research. Of course, if she is helping her grandmother research the Dynamax Phenomenon, she'll probably get to study it a lot with Ash being a battle trainer. (I'm also a tad bit biased because I have been wanting a Pokemon Researcher as an anime companion for over 5 years now.

I think I can see Ash getting himself a Drednaw for sure. A hard to tame Pokemon makes for a great story element. Other than that though I can't see any major standouts yet for Ash's team.

And while I would rather not see it happen, like many of the people here, it does look like Rotom will be returning. I guess I don't mind Rotom too much in the anime, but if it could tone it down for SwSh that would be awesome.

The closest one would be the snapping turtle, since Ash owned pretty much every turtle or tortoise Pokémon of each region. But the other ones do not fit with his style.
Tirtouga?

What if...

Ash gets the Rotom phone but the Rotom that's functioning the phone isn't the same Rotom that functions the Pokedex in Alola?
I was thinking of that, too. If the Galar Rotom is more subtle than the Rotom Dex, I can see the Alola Rotom Dex going for its detective show while Oak announces that he has managed to develop a better Pokedex with his own Rotom, which Ash takes to Galar.

I'd also like to point out that the phone isn't the only use for Rotom. There are also Rotom inhabiting the camera drones in the stadiums.
They look more like robots shaped like Rotom than actual Rotom. Rotom makes everything it inhibits red-orange.

Yesterday's video is really really really very well and really it looks like that this season will really be very very very well season

Oh right guys!, do you think that the idea of sword and shield is from Exculibar and Arthur King?

I THINK SO Because the season is take in England and britain old life and new life and the Arthur King with his Exculibar is the story for England so I think so and so I did this question

Less waterside episodes is a sure thing (thank goodness, the Alolan setting is starting to make me seasick, literally and figuratively). M21-ish art style should work well with UK, although my most beloved art style is OS-DP's. Don't think SM's art style will survive, as it doesn't fit the UK's atmosphere. Kalos-equal tone. Old travelling formula, no Melemele-like confinement anymore. Ash with a male and female companion (hopefully no little brat a la Max & Bonnie). Lots of British VAs.

I have a feeling that next series will be great!

i believe that they will use the same style as now. A simple anime, with no emotion, only that warm and familiar feeling of safety and harmless. too naif. becasue they wanted new palyers, like small kids. so, it will be very colorfull, happy and naif.

i will miss alola a lot. rotom, kukui, lillie, suiren, specially mallow and steenee... it will be sad

i believe that they will use the same style as now. A simple anime, with no emotion, only that warm and familiar feeling of safety and harmless. too naif. because they wanted new players, like small kids. so, it will be very colourful, happy and naif.

Actually, the S&M anime had the most emotions of all the animes in Pokémon history. Best Wishes and X&Y where the animes where emotions where handled more casual. Ash had almost no real reaction when he said goodbye to Iris and Cilan and in X&Y Ash was more portrait as this emotionless white knight so that Serena can melt like vanilla ice cream in all the heroic sunlight that comes off of him. Also, you guys shouldn't forget that Pokémon is an anime for kids, so we can not really get angry if the producers try to target the target demographic for this anime.

Let SwSh be the series where Satoshi gets a (legitimately threatening) female rival!

You mean she should be like a female Paul? Could work, but this would kinda be just the same rival only with switched gender. I'm not against a female rival, but she should be something new. Gary was a jerk, Paul was a threatening almost villain-like person, and Trip was... well, a Paul ripoff, which is the reasons he wasn't really a memorable character at all.

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind seeing a similar take on with the S&M concept. Not 1 to 1 but they can bring in the good elements of S&M. Like the interactions with the characters and liveliness. In the end, the best animation means nothing for me if when the characters aren't interesting.

If Rotom actually follows Ash to Galar, it at least immediately shuts down the "this series isn't canon with the rest of the show" theories that seem to pop up every saga (though I wouldn't be surprised if they still pop up regardless...)

Theroist: "I have officially come to the conclusion that S&M takes place in a strange alternate universe and this young looking Ash has nothing to with the previous Ash or all the other ones. As for Rotom, well it'll just stay beh...."

Rotom: "Beep boop, you just activated my trap card! With this card I get to stay with Ash for a bit longer and give you vital pieces of information you didn't ask for, not to mention making said series canon with all the rest.
Basically you lose!"

Theroist: "Nooooooo! All my hard work wasted."

Theroist: "I have officially come to the conclusion that S&M takes place in a strange alternate universe and this young looking Ash has nothing to with the previous Ash or all the other ones. As for Rotom, well it'll just stay beh...."

Rotom: "Beep boop, you just activated my trap card! With this card I get to stay with Ash for a bit longer and give you vital pieces of information you didn't ask for, not to mention making said series canon with all the rest.
Basically you lose!"

Theroist: "Nooooooo! All my hard work wasted."
Basically, Misty and Brock, and them referencing past events and us being shown flashbacks already crushed those theories :p But hey people believe what they want to believe, so... ¯\(ツ)/¯ It's clear as day to me that every series to this point has been canon and the writers have no intention of breaking that canon anytime soon (outside of the AU movies, which just coexist alongside series canon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom