• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
In fact, Sun/Moon is arguably the most gag-ridden series ever...
How often is each gag used, though? On top of that how often does each gag follow the exact same structure?

Honestly I can't see how more variety is worse than seeing the same running gags playing out in a near identical way at least every other episode.

Okay, now I'm 10 pages and one more Nintendo Direct in the thread so I guess I can post some more speculations that came up but first:

Being called Sword and Shield I hope it's battle-heavy.

I want to see some nods to King Arthur, Beowulf, Robin Hood, The Hobbit, etc.
I hope so too and I can totally see the writing team include some references or even a "Pokemon Version" of those classic/modern classic Novels and probably Shakespear. I think a companion or reoccuring character could aspire to some theater mastery or so.

I really hope we have more of a mature Ash in this series like XY I mean I enjoy goofy innocent Ash, but I really dislike it when a new series starts and its like he's forgotten everything he learned previously.

I think he's gonna end up with Scorbunny, but maybe even all three starters cause we haven't seen that since BW.
Oh, too bad you will be in for a disappointment in this case. The one pattern I still believe in will always be is: Ash getting reset and never place first on a big, official league (Orange Isle was an exception and Alola league might as well since there is no classic gym journey in Alola).

And now, for more speculations that came up while I read the first 10 pages of this thread (30 more to go as of now).
I can totally see the first few episodes of the SwaSh Anime calling Ash back to Kalos for one reason or another (maybe Meltan) and then after the issue is solved he travels to Galar via a train through an undersea tunnel. Trains seem to have somewhat of importance in Galar. Maybe a fusion between "traveling adventure" like in the past and "a place to come back to" like Alola (I also appreciate that for the first time in his life, Ash experienced a somewhat normal life for a 10-12 year old boy with family and school in Alola, since Delia, as far as we know, raised him as a single mother most of the time, what an irresponsible father Ash must have...) for Ash. It could be like Professor Magnolia has a mobile Lab and a living area in form of a train and travels the country to learn more about the Dynamax-Phenomenon. Or it could be the other way around, a mini-arc later on involves a planned undersea tunnel between Kalos and Galar and there are some problems in the making and Ash passes by and helps out. Of course those ideas could also fuse to start the Galar region.
Sonia, Magnolias granddaughter and assistant could very well also act a little like an "older sister" to Ash and travel occasionally for a few Episodes with him and friends, while writing reports to Magnolia (not a Tree reference this time around or are Magnolies considered trees? Doesn't matter in the end).

Now, I know you all love your patterns and so but the writer team should know that by now as well and thus give all the more reason to break them. So, don't get too hung up with them.

With that, I also allow myself to get less into speculation and more into wish-thinking. THE or at least one main rival is female, she tries to get to the top in Pokemon soccer (gyms could double as soccer stadiums) and trains by journeying and additionally challenging gyms/strong trainer. That also would work in "how difficult it is for females to rise higher and get recognition in our world, especially in Japanese culture" thematic. BUT I know better than to expect something like that in Pokemon.

Last edited:
Hopefully SwSh would go back to a battle focused formula like DP and XY, and hopefully not be another BW

I mean given the choice between the Galar saga being a series that's more like BW or a series that's more like SuMo, I'd still choose BW ten out of ten times. BW had more battles than SuMo has had, great cast chemistry, decent animation, and some pretty cool recurring characters imo. SuMo had sparkle vomit, uvula faces and twerking, but that's just not quite as good.

From the looks of the trailer, I'd say it has more of a Gen 4 feel with a mix of Gen 5 and 6.

Had Ash been sweeped as hard as by Paul in Lake Acuity in XY(&Z), he would probably have cried. I hope we won't see that side of Ash in SwSh, but more of his sunny personality during DP...

I find it funny that Galar gyms are basically what anime's Contest Halls was.

I find it funny that Galar gyms are basically what anime's Contest Halls was.

The anime will probably translate this Dynamax feature into brute force. I had hoped that battles in SwSh would be reminiscent to that of DP, that being very strategic and cunning, but I don't think that will happen as Dynamaxing will probably be mindless ruthless testosteron action like Mega Evolutions were...

Dynamax only works on special places like gyms, so we'll likely not see it that much.

Although the leak did also mention something about Gigamaxing, which is similar to Dynamaxing but causes certain Pokemon to change form.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why are you purposefully ignoring the ‘put leaks under spoiler tags in the non-spoiler threads’ policy?

It was literally posted above one of your posts and quoted below your post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I was confused with that.

Just for future reference, if you're confused about something like how to put in spoiler tags, it's better to ask a mod about it instead of breaking an in-thread warning multiple times. I've already had to ask people to stop posting leaks without spoiler tags here twice and I don't want to have to do it a third time. Any further untagged leak information could be deleted or edited from this point forward. I'm also not sure if your signature is based on those leaks, but if it is, please change that as well.

I was sitting around wondering about how the Sword and Shield series might play out and I realized something interesting about each series. Every time a new series starts up, they make a point of showing just how certain elements of it different it will be from the previous one early on.

For instance, AG had a lot of firsts for the series. Misty left and Ash traveled with a new girl, he didn't get all of the starters, he built a new team from the ground up, etc. But most notably, he didn't have a major rival over the course of the series. He pretty much met all of his 'rivals' at the league and was on friendly terms with all of them. But for nearly the entire portion of the show, there wasn't a particular person Ash was competing with while on his badge quest.
Then in the literal 3rd episode of DP, Ash meets his rival who is the complete opposite of him in so many ways it's shocking. They made sure you knew how Paul contrasted Ash, how much Ash didn't like him, and their rivalry was a main element that shaped a lot of the entire series. Ash was also at his peak in competence and rarely had many major struggles outside of battling Paul.
Then we fast forward to BW, where Ash's competence flies out the window, he's treated as a rookie noob by a lot of the characters (including one of his travel companions) who can't even remember how to catch a Pokemon despite him guiding new trainers how to do that several times in previous series, and he makes many mistakes in battle that seem unthinkable for someone with his experience.
Then 2 episodes into XY, Ash is climbing up a huge ass tower to stop a raging pseudo legendary Pokemon from destroying a city. Ash is idolized by not only his travel companions, but also his rivals, and other major characters. Once again his competence and maturity are at a high and there's a huge focus on battling and overall the tone is rather serious.
And then at the start of SuMo, Ash decides he's gonna go to school and not travel the region. The focus on battling and rivalries are pretty diminished to the point that Ash is very relaxed about the Island Challenge, which should be his main focus. His personality is much more childish and goofy along and the series is much more comedic.

It makes me wonder about SwSh and what the tone will be like. We know Galar is supposed to be very much into battling, considering it their major sport. I almost expect the first few episodes to feature Ash meeting Hop where they battle in a mini-tournament, decide that they will be rivals and make immediate plans to travel the region to take on the Galar league with Ash wanting to get to the first gym as soon as possible. Okay, maybe that's a bit much :p, but I'm seriously expecting the first few episodes to emphasize any major differences from Sun and Moon. I said before and I'll say again that I really get XY vibes from a lot of SwSh footage, and I'm kind of expecting a mixed vibe. I believe Ash will have his childlike personality of SuMo, his competence of XY, and the tone will be like DP (more serious, but with some funny moments).

Now I finally know how Nessa looks. But she is was too old to become a companion. She looks younger than Olivia, but still not young enough to be a travel companion for Ash. Unless this generation Ash will really get two older companions with her and Milo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom