• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, I would LOVE for Nessa to be a companion. She's outright gorgeous. Literally gasped when they showed her today. I really don't see the outfit as a problem...it appears that these are "uniforms" of sorts only used for the gym battles. She'd likely have a different outfit outside of gym battles. And that outfit really isn't any different/more revealing than the bathing suits that the female cast members tend to wear anyway. And, as pointed out here, the writers have no problem manipulating age/appearance when it comes to characters in the anime.

The female PC is so awfully bland. I know they've started to make them more generic because of the customization aspect but...yikes. I felt the same way about the female PC in SM, which is why I was ultimately happy they went with Mallow, Lana, and Lillie instead. Serena was far less generic looking, and I like how they took advantage of the then new customization option in the anime, even if I hated her second "design". So I don't know why the PCs have become so boring since then...you really think it would've been the other way around.

If they can come up with something interesting for the female PC to do as a cast member, and maybe improve upon her design a bit, then I wouldn't mind her as a companion. But as is right now, with no ideas of what side quests might be (or if they even exist...), I'd have to say I don't want to see her on the main cast and would rather go the gym leader route.

Nessa and Milo would be great characters and companions for Ash. Milo is the big, strong, baby faced guy with a heart of gold and Nessa the tough, serious woman. Those two would be a great contrast to each other and to Ash.

Okay I changed my mind about Nessa: I don't think she has a snowball's chance in hell of being a cast member. Her design is way too busy with all those accessories and tiny hair details so she's an animator's worst nightmare, plus it doesn't help that she's only wearing clothes on like 10% of her body.

Pokémon you obtained from past gens that are not registered in the Galar dex cannot be transferred to SwSh...

I remember those days when in the AG anime the poacher who was responsible for Arbok & Weezing's departure had a super sleek Tyranitar which led me to search for a Larvitar in my Ruby game far and wide, only to find out that you can't find one in Hoenn 2 years after because the Internet wasn't a thing yet (and FRLG wasn't released either because that was only the sixth episode of AG)...

I swear if the SwSh anime dares to do something like this again...

Last edited:
You know guys, thinking about it, Misty and Brock also got different outfits for the anime, technically even more complex ones compare to the outfits they had in the games. Misty was just in her swimsuit and Brock didn't even wear a shirt. Nessa could become a companion if they just give her a simpler design. The real issue with her lies more in her age and tallness.

I still want her and Milo to be Ash's companions. It would be a very nice change for ones, having him travelling with two taller characters. I actually fear that the new girl companion will be just way to close to an already existing one. Practically the likes of May, Dawn, Serena, Mallow, and Lillie. Just the cute nice girl that owns a cute Pokémon. Nessa comes of as a freaking badass. It would be a very nice fresh take on on the female companions. The most badass girls we got so far were Iris, who didn't do much anyway, and Lana, who still has got many trades of the previous girls, like for example owning an Eevee.

The new girl really has to be something more outstanding. She cannot be another cute girl, that does cute things like showcases and only owns cute or beautiful Pokémon. Mallow is already one of the girls that pretty much goes under because she is just way too similar to previous girls, and Serena only really stuck out because of the Shipping. Without that fanservice, she would be as forgettable as poor Mallow.

No, the new girl for S&S has to be something new for once. I don't care if she is an alpha bitch, a spoiled brat or an insane woman, just give me something new with the girls.

Last edited:
No, I mean really tall like Nessa and Milo are. A really tall girl and a really tall guy. It would just visually a nice change for once. And not only that, they could bring in new personality trades, or at least once we haven't seen yet.

I just don’t see two significantly taller/older companions being a thing.
If Ash isn’t ‘mature’ or serious then people’ll complain that he’s acting like a kid, and if he’s more experienced than his taller/buff/older companions it’s not going to reflect nicely on them.

Well, we could try it for once. Plus, Ash interacted with many adult characters in S&M. So much, that I sometimes think that Kukui and Burnet are his real parents. Their interactions worked pretty well. I actually have no real problems with that, if they handle the characters well. And after all, if they are written funny and likeable than in the end it doesn't matter if they are taller, older, shorter or younger.

Well now that Z-moves and Mega Evolution are gone, I guess we all know what’s gonna happen to Ash’s Z ring.

It’s either gonna break due to a tense situation or he’ll just leave it at home.

Can we just acknowledge that a 10-year-old boy travelling round with much older friends is unnatural? Satoshi’s companions being children more or less his age is a series staple for good reason - kids like other kids.

Apart from Playable Girl and potentially Hop (depending on his assigned role), I agree that no one revealed so far would be a good fit. There are bound to be some more age-appropriate characters revealed down the line, what’s the rush to join all the dots up now itself?

That was a mistranslation, my friend.

That is true. Nevertheless, like @RetroPokeFan pointed out, Ash's Z-ring will not be brought over to Galar; it's not Galar's gimmick and you also need a bracelet-like thingy in order to Dynamax. With two bracelets on his wrist Ash would be bling bling like 50 cent.

I'll laugh my pants off if Ash's Z-ring breaks after a tense situation. I can see it happening.

Last edited:
The new girl really has to be something more outstanding. She cannot be another cute girl, that does cute things like showcases and only owns cute or beautiful Pokémon. Mallow is already one of the girls that pretty much goes under because she is just way too similar to previous girls, and Serena only really stuck out because of the Shipping. Without that fanservice, she would be as forgettable as poor Mallow.

Wanting the next female lead to have more than just traditionally cute/beautiful Pokemon might be hoping for too much. For better or for worse, the female leads are generally there to promote the cute Pokemon that wouldn't fit with Ash's team. I don't think that Mallow goes under the radar because she's too similar to previous female leads. She honestly doesn't remind me of any other previous traveling companion at least. She isn't unlikable, annoying or even poorly written necessarily, but just kind of there. Her goal barely involves Pokemon and being primarily about making good dishes doesn't help matters either. She also has gotten little focus compared to most of the other SM cast and she doesn't have a more memorable personality to make up for it like arguably Kiawe does. Interestingly enough, I remember really liking her design when she was first revealed for Sun/Moon and was into her being part of the main cast just because of that, but then Mallow turned out to be a pretty boring character.

I also disagree that Serena would be as forgettable as Mallow if it wasn't for the shipping stuff. While that certainly helped with making her more popular, Serena had more going on than just her crush on Ash. Unlike Mallow, Serena had a goal that more directly involved her Pokemon. Granted, I think Showcases were a really terrible competition and I had a lot of problems with them, but at least it offered something a bit more than cooking dishes, despite how baking was used a couple of times in Showcases. Plus, Serena's best moments in XY had nothing to do with her crush on Ash in my opinion. Her determination to become a Pokemon Performer and bond with her Pokemon were the moments where she really shined. Mallow is generally okay and likable enough, but she hasn't really had much, if any, really stand out moments akin to something like Serena racing against her mother in order to keep going towards her own dream or Serena reassuring Eevee after they lost their first Showcase together.

Can we just acknowledge that a 10-year-old boy travelling round with much older friends is unnatural? Satoshi’s companions being children more or less his age is a series staple for good reason - kids like other kids.

Apart from Playable Girl and potentially Hop (depending on his assigned role), I agree that no one revealed so far would be a good fit. There are bound to be some more age-appropriate characters revealed down the line, what’s the rush to join all the dots up now itself?

I think people are just really eager to already find new traveling companions for the next series. It's the same reason why this speculation thread has gotten a lot of discussion despite how we probably won't see any trailer for the SWSH series for another couple of months at least. The fact that we're just finally getting some new human characters after having nothing for months probably factors into that as well.

Last edited:
Serena (and potentially Clemont too) was aged down but, aging down works better for certain characters than for others.

I dunno about "unnatural", but Ash traveled with Brock for more than 10 years despite Brock being 15 when he debuted. And unless I missed something, Sonia and Milo don't look that much older than Brock. So why would it be such a bad thing if Ash's Galar friends are slightly older than Ash, assuming that those two become his friends of course?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom