• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whatever companion would be, they could make new original characters this time around, just like the last two Pokemon movies.

Whatever companion would be, they could make new original characters this time around, just like the last two Pokemon movies.

Knowing the anime is a way to promote the games, creating new characters, instead of using in-game characters, isn't a good marketing move.

Judging from previous game/anime marketing. The companions were revealed before the game release, so I'm expecting two of Female PC, Milo, Nessa/Sonia to be in the running for main character.

Also, it's interesting to note that Galar Gyms are extremely popular. A gym leader abandoning his/her gym could be a bit illogical.

Knowing the anime is a way to promote the games, creating new characters, instead of using in-game characters, isn't a good marketing move.

Judging from previous game/anime marketing. The companions were revealed before the game release, so I'm expecting two of Female PC, Milo, Nessa/Sonia to be in the running for main character.

Also, it's interesting to note that Galar Gyms are extremely popular. A gym leader abandoning his/her gym could be a bit illogical.
If we don't have a Gym Leader as a companion then there will literally be no third companion. With the exception of the female PC and Hop, all the so far confirmed characters are in their 20s or older and thus too old to be a companion.

If we don't have a Gym Leader as a companion then there will literally be no third companion. With the exception of the female PC and Hop, all the so far confirmed characters are in their 20s or older and thus too old to be a companion.
What if the next series will be full CGI?

They did this with Tracey, but he was quickly written out of the show and replaced with Brock. Do people even know this character anymore? I for sure always forget that he was a thing in the anime.

If there's a reason I don't want the SwSh games to be delayed it's because I want SM to end ASAP.

With its slice of life and Kanto pandering, SM is very easy to stretch out...

I don't think that they could stretch out SM for too long. They have enough content and subplots to make the series last until November pretty easily, but I don't think that they could keep the series going for another year. They're running out of seventh generation Pokemon and concepts to promote. Not to mention I imagine it's way too late to delay Sword/Shield at this point, even with the backlash towards the whole Galar Pokedex issue. They have move onto promoting the new Pokemon sooner rather than later.

I don't think that they could stretch out SM for too long. They have enough content and subplots to make the series last until November pretty easily, but I don't think that they could keep the series going for another year. They're running out of seventh generation Pokemon and concepts to promote. Not to mention I imagine it's way too late to delay Sword/Shield at this point, even with the backlash towards the whole Galar Pokedex issue. They have move onto promoting the new Pokemon sooner rather than later.

With Kanto pandering I implicitly mean that with SM a Kanto season just like Battle Frontier and Decolore Islands would be very possible and don't tell me it wouldn't because it would (that is if SwSh were to really be delayed). Content-wise masterpieces like SM126 - my favourite episode so far (11/10) - for a year long is something the SM crew can easily pull off.

Last edited:
If you ask me, if Gym battles are a high noted viewer sport (like soccer in Britain for example) it reduces to me the chances, of active Gym leaders traveling with Ash (save if they have siblings or retired), though I can see one of the Gym leaders try to sneak away from his/her duties to travel with Ash for a bit but wouldn't that mean, all people they met while that, would also swoon over that famous leader/master/whatever you gonna call it (I should start using the correct term now). In any case, I rather had Nessa a rival to take seriously than a traveling companion (that is way too girly).

Sonia might travel alongside Ash, at least in the closer vicinity of all the "wild" Dynamax spots (aka not in Gyms but the other place the phenomenon works) for research but nothing beyond that.

About Age changes... Watch: spoilers, Ash will be 11 in Galar and everyone is like "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat..." but in all seriousness, them aging down characters isn't an issue since they already did that with Serena though it was only slightly. But it is a real possibility they could do. However, with some characters it probably works better than with others.

Knowing Ash, he probably just loses the Z-Ring somehow though I can also see, and rather have it that during the first Dynamax battle he fights in like episode 1 or 2 (maybe 3) he uses it, and the Z-move has no effect whatsoever so he just leaves it with Oak. It also could be, that it just doesn't work and he then gets rid of it. In the Anime they established that it needs Ultra-Energy to work and Galar may not have enough locally to make that work, instead, they have Dyna-Energy (or so). Most likely though, they just pretend SuMo never happened and Ash never got a Z-Ring.

And for rivalry with Hop (might change to Hope for western audiences and would also work for a "grant hope" as the champions kid brother), I can see or rather hope, a bit of both that Ash get riled up over him being all over the place, since he is the champions brother though he fails to see how uncomfortable Hop is with all this pressure and expectations while at the same time, Hop wants to hide all of that at least from Ash, which he deeply respects for a reason, they give him the very same episode. At least this premise would make a nice base to develop Hop as rival in the show.

With Kanto pandering I implicitly mean that with SM a Kanto season just like Battle Frontier and Decolore Islands would be very possible and don't tell me it wouldn't because it would (that is if SwSh were to really be delayed). Content-wise masterpieces like SM126 - my favourite episode so far (11/10) - for a year long is something the SM crew can easily pull off.
So in other words, it's possible that SwSh is going to be a Sinnoh season.

Makes you wonder if any old, or even new characters would appear to hold a candle to it. Not just DP, but XY as well.

I'm not really sure if the gym leaders need to be in their gyms. Iris was a gym leader in the games but in the anime, she was a travelling companion. Misty and Brock also had other people that took care for their specific gyms.

But I sadly can not see Nessa travelling with Ash at this point. In the trailer, she is portrayed as a showoff, someone who likes to be in the spotlight and likes her fans. Unless they find a new role for her.

I'm not really sure if the gym leaders need to be in their gyms. Iris was a gym leader in the games but in the anime, she was a travelling companion. Misty and Brock also had other people that took care for their specific gyms.

But I sadly can not see Nessa travelling with Ash at this point. In the trailer, she is portrayed as a showoff, someone who likes to be in the spotlight and likes her fans. Unless they find a new role for her.
We've only seen 2 Gym Leaders thus far. Wait for the next 6 to appear.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't it would be possible for them to go down that route. If they didn't do more Kanto pandering for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee besides Lana capturing Eevee and arguably Misty and Brock appearing for another couple of episodes, then I don't think that they'd have Ash go back to Kanto for a long period of time. There wouldn't be much of anything for him to do there. He's already traveled through it twice, Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee didn't introduce something new like the Battle Frontier for Ash to do and it wouldn't be something he could do after finishing his Alola adventures before getting back home like the Decolore Islands. Yeah, the series is more slice of life, but I don't think that there would be much of a reason for Ash and his friends to be in Kanto for a full season. At least Ash is living in a new region with Pokemon he hasn't seen before and does enjoy being at the Pokemon School for some reason. Not to mention the other cast members would have even less to do in Kanto than they do in Alola.

Granted, this is entirely moot since there is no way that Sword/Shield are going to be delayed. They've already announced the games, showed off new Pokemon and have a release date set in motion. The chances of them releasing the games at a later date are extremely unlikely at best, so it's not even really worth considering at this point. SM will end most likely around October or November, the new games will come out on November 15th and the SWSH series will start soon afterwards.

Yeah, the games aren't getting delayed. Even if they were, they wouldn't throw together some random episode extension for SM. It would just end where it's supposed to and we'd have to wait longer for the next series.

I also don't think we can make the assumption that a gym leader definitely won't be a companion based on how they appear in the games. The anime is well known to take liberties with its characters (Misty has her sisters to take over for her, Cilan just leaves his brothers in charge, Iris isn't a gym leader in the anime, Clemont replaces himself with a freaking robot, the SM cast are clearly not trial captains, etc.) To me, it's pretty clear that if the writers want a gym leader from the games to be on the main cast, they will put them on the main cast. They obviously don't feel tied down to the games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom