• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iris was also revealed very lately for Black and White and Best Wishes. But I still cross my fingers for Milo and Nessa. Both of them can offer something new to the table. I'm just worried that Sword and Shield will just copy a concept for the characters that we had before. It seems that every companion must be either like Misty or May when it comes to the girls, or be like Brock when it comes to the boys.

The only ones, at least in my eyes, that stood out, were Max, as the first youngest member, Iris, as the first tomboy of the group, Clemont, as the first inventor, Kiawe as the first friendly rival that is also a companion, and Lana as the first spunky girl of the group.

That doesn't mean that the rest of the characters aren't good. Dawn is actually my favourite character so far, but she is a copy of May, just way better written. I also like Lillie a lot, but she shares some trades with Misty and also a bit with Dawn.

This why I'm rooting for Milo and Nessa been Ash's new companions. They both seem to can over something new. Milo would be the first gentle giant of the group, a big, strong guy with a heart of gold and Nessa would be the first tough, attention sneaking woman. Those would be two clashing personalities. This is actually something the anime barely takes advantage. Character interactions. Jessie, James, and Meowth work so well because all three have a different personalities. When it comes to Ash and his companions they sometimes barely talk with each other. In Best Wishes, Iris and Cilan had almost no meaningful interactions with each other, Brock also rarely talked with either Dawn or May, and Serena only had eyes for Ash almost never spoked with Clemont.

Sun and Moon is probably the first anime where Ash and his friends really have a lot of meaningful interactions with each other. This is an element I'm hoping been taking over to Sword and Shield.

Last edited:
Red - Ash, Blue - Female Trainer, Green - Gym Leader, Yellow - Young Sibling, Orange - Classmates

Gen 1 - 2: Ash, Misty and Brock
Gen 3: Ash, May, Max and Brock (Misty)
Gen 4: Ash, Dawn and Brock (May)
Gen 5: Ash, Iris and Cilan (Dawn)
Gen 6: Ash, Serena, Clemont and Bonnie
Gen 7: Ash, Lillie, Kiawe, Sophocles, Mallow, Lana (Misty and Brock)

Last edited:
The only ones, at least in my eyes, that stood out, were Max, as the first youngest member, Iris, as the first tomboy of the group, Clemont, as the first inventor, Kiawe as the first friendly rival that is also a companion, and Lana as the first spunky girl of the group.

Misty was also a bit of a tomboy. Maybe not as much as Iris, but I don't think Iris was the first female character with that distinction. As much as I like Kiawe, I'm not sure if I'd call him a friendly rival. He did give off a rival vibe at the start of SM and he does frequently have practice battles with Ash, but despite that, he doesn't really come off as a rival. Although, a large part of that probably has to do with how Ash isn't focused on the Island Challenge most of the time and he doesn't really have much of a rival in general for this series.

Tomboyish Mermaid said:
That doesn't mean that the rest of the characters aren't good. Dawn is actually my favourite character so far, but she is a copy of May, just way better written. I also like Lillie a lot, but she shares some trades with Misty and also a bit with Dawn.

I think calling Dawn a copy of May is a bit of an exaggeration. They both were Coordinators, but I think that there are plenty of differences between May and Dawn to where Dawn isn't just May 2.0 with much better writing. That kind of underplays just how different Dawn was compared to May. I also still can't see anything about Misty or Dawn in Lillie. Lillie's personality or conflicts during SM never made me think of another female lead. As much as I disagree with the notion that Dawn is a copy of May, I can at least understand the logic behind that statement. I don't see how Lillie is that similar to any of the other female leads, let alone with Misty and Dawn.

They both were Coordinators, but I think that there are plenty of differences between May and Dawn to where Dawn isn't just May 2.0 with much better writing.
Yeah. If Dawn is just a May clone, then every pokémon trainer is a Ash clone.
Iris was also revealed very lately for Black and White and Best Wishes.
I wouldn't call it "very late."

Last edited:
Misty was also a bit of a tomboy.

This is a common mistake that happens often in the Pokémon community. In the games, she is a tomboy or has some tomboyish traits, but in the anime, she is a very girly like character. A female character can not be a called out a tomboy just because people call her one. Misty has got many girlish traits: She likes cute and beautiful things, she is interested in jewellery and perfume, has a romantic side, and finds bugs and spiders ikey. Sure, Iris also has shown to like cute things, but it wasn't as common as with Misty.

This is also a reason why Nessa could be interesting. Tomboys (which I think she is in the games) are pretty rare in the anime. It would be very interesting to have a fully tomboyish girl for once. Misty wasn't one, and Iris is close to a tomboy, but for my taste not close enough.

This is a common mistake that happens often in the Pokémon community. In the games, she is a tomboy or has some tomboyish traits, but in the anime, she is a very girly like character. A female character can not be a called out a tomboy just because people call her one. Misty has got many girlish traits: She likes cute and beautiful things, she is interested in jewellery and perfume, has a romantic side, and finds bugs and spiders ikey. Sure, Iris also has shown to like cute things, but it wasn't as common as with Misty.

Just because Misty has some traditional feminine traits doesn't necessarily mean that she can't be a tomboy. Girls can like traditional cute things, like perfume and have a romantic side while still being kind of tomboy at the same time. It doesn't have to be one or the other. It just seems like a rather limited way to treat a character if they cannot have any traditionally feminine aspects or personality traits. I also just kind of hate the term girly at this point considering how often I've seen it be used in a more negative light. Maybe that's also why this notion kind of rubs me the wrong way despite how I don't even like Misty all that much.

Misty could still be aggressive and confrontational with her temper. Perhaps that doesn't make her an extremely tomboy character, but I don't think that her traditionally feminine traits and behavior completely negate the notion that she's a tomboy too.

Misty could still be aggressive and confrontational with her temper. Perhaps that doesn't make her an extremely tomboy character, but I don't think that her traditionally feminine traits and behaviour completely negate the notion that she's a tomboy too.

That character trait would make her a tsundere, which what she was in the anime. Misty (at least the anime version) is really far away from being a tomboy. None of the girls so far was a real Tomboy. Iris and Lana were the closest ones we can call tomboys.

Last edited:
That character trait would make her a tsundere, which what she was in the anime. Misty (at least the anime version) is really far away from being a tomboy. None of the girls so far was a real Tomboy. Iris and Lana were the closest ones we can call tomboys.

I don't really see how Lana is a tomboy. I can kind of get Iris, but I don't see how Lana could be considered a tomboy. If the main goal for a tomboy character you want is having little to no feminine traits at all, then that still sounds like a pretty narrow and limited way to treat a character. It also just rubs me the wrong way just because it makes me think of the notion that traditionally feminine traits are automatically bad. Not to mention girls can like traditionally feminine things and still be considered tomboys like I said before. I don't see why a female character can't be presented in the same way, especially when that could be potentially make them more relatable to more girls.

I don't really see how Lana is a tomboy. I can kind of get Iris, but I don't see how Lana could be considered a tomboy. If the main goal for a tomboy character you want is having little to no feminine traits at all, then that still sounds like a pretty narrow and limited way to treat a character. It also just rubs me the wrong way just because it makes me think of the notion that traditionally feminine traits are automatically bad. Not to mention girls can like traditionally feminine things and still be considered tomboys like I said before. I don't see why a female character can't be presented in the same way, especially when that could be potentially make them more relatable to more girls.
Mallow seems more tomboyish than Lana who is often quiet.

I know that we don't have a good quality image of the new squirrel Pokemon, but I'm already hoping that it'll be in the cast, preferably on the girl's team inb4 Dawn 2.0.

Red - Ash, Blue - Female Trainer, Green - Gym Leader, Yellow - Young Sibling, Orange - Classmates

Gen 1 - 2: Ash, Misty and Brock
Gen 3: Ash, May, Max and Brock (Misty)
Gen 4: Ash, Dawn and Brock (May)
Gen 5: Ash, Iris and Cilan (Dawn)
Gen 6: Ash, Serena, Clemont and Bonnie
Gen 7: Ash, Lillie, Kiawe, Sophocles, Mallow, Lana (Misty and Brock)

I don't think you can count Misty and Brock for Alola (Else you also have too count Korrina). Same for Misty in gen 3, May for Gen 4 and Dawn for gen 5, especially since then you need too count Bianca as well.

I don't think you can count Misty and Brock for Alola (Else you also have too count Korrina). Same for Misty in gen 3, May for Gen 4 and Dawn for gen 5, especially since then you need too count Bianca as well.
I don't know what you're talking about. The brackets are supposed to represent past companions making appearences in the newer series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom