• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, why did someone put a fake poster on his/her own wall? Seems fishy.
Please read the discription on the Deviantart post where it originated from...

Kudos to the artist. The poster looks really great. It actually fooled me. Glad that this isn't really, because I'm still rooting for Nessa and Milo becoming companions for Ash.

The playable girl protagonist form S&S is... kinda lame in terms of design. Better than the one from S&M, but not as memorable like Dawn and May. I'm still a bit worried that she will end up as a May, Dawn, or Serena clone.

Kudos to the artist. The poster looks really great. It actually fooled me. Glad that this isn't really, because I'm still rooting for Nessa and Milo becoming companions for Ash.

The playable girl protagonist form S&S is... kinda lame in terms of design. Better than the one from S&M, but not as memorable like Dawn and May. I'm still a bit worried that she will end up as a May, Dawn, or Serena clone.
Well tbh, despite XY being an amazing anime to most fans, the arc of Gen 6, the anime, the movies, even the games, didn't do well for the Japanese audience. They knew the formula bu then since Gen 3 has become tiresome and redundant (ratings do show, even Yo Kai Watch at the same time overtook it). Sun and Moon was their attempt to spice up and redesign the Pokemon formula completely, hence why the animation and slice of life, no movie tie-ins to the anime as before, the movies have decided to change things to give Ash a completely new spin, and the games of Gen 7 were a slight improvement to Gen 6.

Maybe they'll try something similar for Sword and Shield, only instead of it being slice of life, will be something that could balance out both for the old and new.

So far, we don't know, but whatever it'll be, I'm hoping that it's unique to it's own rights.

But if the anime were to follow it's typical pattern, Ash is due to get all three starters in this generation. So either we won't see the rival appear until way late in the series (I'm referring to Hop), or Ash will get just 1 or 2 of the starters. What I'm saying is there is a possibility based on the starter rotation that two of Ash's traveling companions could be gym leaders, but I think it'll be Sonia and one gym leader. I don't care for Milo, and in the traditional trio that Ash travels in, one companion is always male, and one is always female, so there is once again support for Milo. Or tradition can be broken and Nessa joins the traveling group. But if it's a going to be a gym leader, my money will be it'll be one we haven't met yet.

In the typical pokemon game cycle, 1-2 years after the release of new games in a generation, we either get a "third version" (or "remixed versions" like Ultra Sun / Ultra Moon) or remakes (like Heart Gold / Soul Silver or Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire). So I don't see this happening, granted I wish this was the route that GF / Nintendo would go with Pokemon games to keep some life in them as opposed to blasting us with stuff like USUM. While I'd like what you say to happen in some form, history just doesn't support this.

I don't even wish Ash well in the league. I hope they make him lose on the first round so we can move on.

The pattern love again... well, don't get to hung up on this pattern. I wouldn't be so sure it still follows. On the other hand it could nonetheless. I guess we will see. However I can see Ash having Scorbunny and Grookey in his team.

I'm not so sure we can trust that Nintendo won't go a (paid) DLC route and given how much rage the internet expressed of not having all Pokémon in SwaSh it is highly possible. The more interesting question though would be if the "National Dex DLC packs" costs money or not. I think the earliest we can rule out DLC route would be that if even after January next year no such announcement was made. And I also wonder, will there be a re-make for D/P/PT to come first or will an enhanced version of Sword and Shield be announced and released first. I certainly would appreciate a Gen 4 remake because I want the contests back but then again, paying for another re-make? I also think of waiting a year or so before buying Sword (my version of choice) since there is a possibility that they do what the did with US/UM. I need to check how long after the initial SuMo release they were announced and then released...

Aaaaaaaaanyway, first I complain about drifting away from speculation to character arguing and now I drift away too much into game territory. Time to do some more speculation so what could it be... I know!
The Evil team could be called Team Dynasty and they plan on using Zacien and Zamazenzas power to summon whatever apocalyptic Dragon the third Legendary is, whom Zamacien and Zamazenza seem to have a lot respect for, even fear from it in the trailer and enslave it. All to make their leader the ultimate sole ruler of Galar and after Ash helped destroying their goal, a splitter group/the remnants want to make all the Dynamax Power from the legendary giant Pokémon's (2 seems to be part of the Battling Giant Legend) their own and fully control Dynamaxing so that only they have access to it and are also the only who can use it and wherever they want and not just an fixed locations to still have their goal come true.

Actually in Alola I give Ash better chances then anywhere else to win the league because it feels a bit like a prolonged Orange Isle arc which is, to day, the only League victory he ever archived.

Last edited:
The fake poster did look pretty nice. The playable female lead has a nice design and I'd be fine if she became the new female lead in the series, especially if that does mean that the cast will have a female lead with a hopefully battle active goal again. As much as I hated Showcases, they at least gave something for Serena to do with some nice character development thrown in. That's still more than what most of the female leads in SM have gotten. Lillie, Mallow and Lana are likable and Lillie does have some nice character development too, but they also have long stretches of not really doing much. Up until the whole trying to master her Z-Move, it seemed like Lillie didn't really have much to do after the Nebby arc. If it wasn't for Mallow's sudden tragic backstory with her mother, then she would have become completely forgettable. Lana has had more consistent focus out of the three over the course of SM, but I feel like Popplio's evolution was handed to her too easily, at least based on what happened when it became Brionne since I haven't seen it become a Primarina yet. Plus, I feel like she's a tad overrated.

Regardless of who the female lead is for SWSH, I just hope that they have a storyline/goal to give them more consistent focus and character moments/development. I still can't see Milo or Nessa as the next companions, although I'd be fine to be wrong about Nessa since she seems pretty cool. I suspect that the next companions are going to be characters from the games that we haven't seen yet.

The fake poster did look pretty nice. The playable female lead has a nice design and I'd be fine if she became the new female lead in the series, especially if that does mean that the cast will have a female lead with a hopefully battle active goal again. As much as I hated Showcases, they at least gave something for Serena to do with some nice character development thrown in. That's still more than what most of the female leads in SM have gotten. Lillie, Mallow and Lana are likable and Lillie does have some nice character development too, but they also have long stretches of not really doing much. Up until the whole trying to master her Z-Move, it seemed like Lillie didn't really have much to do after the Nebby arc. If it wasn't for Mallow's sudden tragic backstory with her mother, then she would have become completely forgettable. Lana has had more consistent focus out of the three over the course of SM, but I feel like Popplio's evolution was handed to her too easily, at least based on what happened when it became Brionne since I haven't seen it become a Primarina yet. Plus, I feel like she's a tad overrated.

Regardless of who the female lead is for SWSH, I just hope that they have a storyline/goal to give them more consistent focus and character moments/development. I still can't see Milo or Nessa as the next companions, although I'd be fine to be wrong about Nessa since she seems pretty cool. I suspect that the next companions are going to be characters from the games that we haven't seen yet.
Still, we haven't seen the other Gym Leaders as of yet, so it might not be them two.

Wow my heart almost stopped when I saw that poster, the art style is so phenomenal. I would give anything to have a female lead again and I actually really like the design of the SwS protag. I don't understand why people think she is boring, is it because her hair is a color that exists in the real world? Is it because she isn't covered in odd jewelry? I really don't get it. I think her hat is very creative and the rest of her outfit differs greatly from past characters, and it is a cute outfit. I think the boots are a good touch, because they are more realistic to a Pokemon journey than most shoes we have seen in the past. Most of all the personality they develop with her is going to mean a lot more than the design anyway.

One of the things I haven't liked about a lot of new designs (not just gen 8, but going back a while), is that I feel a lot of them are significantly overdone, there is just too much going on (people and Pokemon both). Keeping things simple can often times look really good.

Anyway, I would give anything for the series to have an art style like that and I really do hope its that girl who gets the lead. I've always really liked the girls who were based on the game protags.

Last edited:
So far from what I see from the Sword and Shield trailer, I do see and sense a Diamond and Pearl vibe in relation to the new anime series.

To be honest, I am not sure what to expect from the Sword and Shield anime. I mean in which direction it will go.

To be honest, I am not sure what to expect from the Sword and Shield anime. I mean in which direction it will go.

It doesn't help that exact data from Japan aren't easy to come by: while to us it had a ratings decline and the Yokai Watch craze gives the series less reason to mimic it, it might not be that on the ground floor, sort of speak.

Excuse me, guys. I'm just wanting to know what you think might happen when the writers have run out of ideas for the Sword & Shield anime series? Please, let me know. Thanks.;)

I meant what you think happens if the writers run out of ideas for the Pokémon Sword & Shield anime series production?

I have some ideas.
Use unconventional stuff like Dynamaxed Ditto ,

Frilish and Gollisopod as the water gym leaders Nessas pokemon with Drednaw (make Ash loose against her once and make her Dynamax a Wimpod in first battle and in the second have a Gollisopod and Dynamax Drednaw)

the grass gym leader better get Trevanant , Georgeist(or a new grass dual type) and Eldegoss

Gym leaders with 3 pokemon(even outside what is in the game itself) in single battle mode from the start and make Ash loose due the fact of battle experience with Dynamax. Show strategies more.

Hmmm with such a big region and many pokemon they could make many turnaments and situations with different wild Dynamaxed mons, rescue missions, training episodes. If Ash gets starters then learning moves and evolution could be more dynamic this time.

Hmm going there with Pikachu only? I would let him take Melmetal and maybe switch it for a other in Galar?or get a dual type evo?
hmmm Poipole feeled unfinished without it's evo. Ash needs a fully evolved team again this time like in Kalos and in Hoen. Maybe then use old pokemon like in gen 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom