• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Bea supposed to be a homage to Bea Arthur? 'Cause they look kinda alike in terms of hair, body structure and general ruggedness. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Bea makes Nessa look cute by comparison. Like, I'm still against the idea of Nessa being a cast member, but at least she has the eye candy factor unlike Bea who gives me Betty DeVille vibes.

I like that they're having version exclusive gym leaders again in SwSh, but I'm wondering how that'll effect the anime. With BW, they just avoided the Iris/Drayden situation entirely by having Ash face Roxie in the end. Now they'll have to pick one or the other for SwSh and the difference is that now the alternate gym leaders focus on different types. This'll make the gym challenge all the more interesting in seeing who Ash ends up facing.

I like that they're having version exclusive gym leaders again in SwSh, but I'm wondering how that'll effect the anime. With BW, they just avoided the Iris/Drayden situation entirely by having Ash face Roxie in the end. Now they'll have to pick one or the other for SwSh and the difference is that now the alternate gym leaders focus on different types. This'll make the gym challenge all the more interesting in seeing who Ash ends up facing.

Lot of people are guessing one of them will be a companion.

Lot of people are guessing one of them will be a companion.

I'm still personally hoping we won't have any gym leader companions this time around.

Thinking about it, I hope Ash ends up battling Allister. He looks more interesting and It's been forever since Ash battled a ghost-type gym leader.

I have the strangest feeling that in Sword and Shield's Anime, as a way to mark 10 years of her supposed death in Lake Valor in December, Pokemon Hunter J might make a return, where in the first episode of her return we would learn of how she survived, and would once more be an occurring villain throughout Galar. Only this time would learn more of her backstory, and might even see either some sort or reform, or another just dessert.

I also somehow see Ash accompanied by Gloria (if such a Gym Leader is not found) and Milo.

I have the strangest feeling that in Sword and Shield's Anime, as a way to mark 10 years of her supposed death in Lake Valor in December, Pokemon Hunter J might make a return, where in the first episode of her return we would learn of how she survived, and would once more be an occurring villain throughout Galar. Only this time would learn more of her backstory, and might even see either some sort or reform, or another just dessert.

I also somehow see Ash accompanied by Gloria (if such a Gym Leader is not found) and Milo.
I think that Bea and Allister are more companion-appropriate than Milo.

I think that Bea and Allister are more companion-appropriate than Milo.
Yet they seem unlikely.

We haven't seen the other Gym Leaders yet so all this is not set in stone yet. We haven't even got any leaks to the anime either.

Remind me when we normally get a preview for the next anime series?

I think we normally get a preview a couple of months before the series begins, or at least shortly after they finish a League arc. We probably won't learn anything about the SWSH anime until around September, depending on how long the Alola League lasts.

I'm kind of curious how they'll handle Ash going to Galar after the recent information. Trainers need to get an endorsement to start going to the different Gyms. I could see Ash doing something impressive right when he gets to Galar and Leon endorses him to start traveling around the different Gyms. The Championship Cup also sounds more like a traditional Pokemon League in the anime. I just wonder if it is a tournament to face off against other trainers who defeated the eight Gym leaders or if the Champion Cup is just a fancy way to battle the Elite 4 this time around.

I think we normally get a preview a couple of months before the series begins, or at least shortly after they finish a League arc. We probably won't learn anything about the SWSH anime until around September, depending on how long the Alola League lasts.

I'm kind of curious how they'll handle Ash going to Galar after the recent information. Trainers need to get an endorsement to start going to the different Gyms. I could see Ash doing something impressive right when he gets to Galar and Leon endorses him to start traveling around the different Gyms. The Championship Cup also sounds more like a traditional Pokemon League in the anime. I just wonder if it is a tournament to face off against other trainers who defeated the eight Gym leaders or if the Champion Cup is just a fancy way to battle the Elite 4 this time around.
Ash would probably be inspired by Leon to be a great Pokemon Master.

Perhaps Ash going to Galar would probably be when Ash's Meltan evolves into Melmetal, and Professor Oak would be in disbelief over the fact that this Mythical Pokemon has not been seen for 3000 years, and that it has some connections to the Galar Region.

It's just a wild guess, or a wild hunch that this would likely lead to this.

Personally, I'm not impressed by Bea or Allister. Bea's cute, but Allister sounds way too reserved/gloomy to be a companion...they tend to be pretty outgoing and lighthearted. Also, every time I see him I think he's a humanoid Shy Guy. I don't really want to see that every episode, lol.

But I'm seriously so into the gym battles being these big, athletic-like exhibitions. The more they show of it, the more excited I get. Ash is likely going to need an endorsement to participate in the gyms, which I'm going to guess will come from Leon.

With the gyms being so heavily sports focused, I had a thought today. The summer Olympics next year are in Japan. It'd be so awesome if the anime did an Olympic style arc next year! Think the Pokemon World Tournament Junior Cup, except not terrible and total wasted potential. They could bring back all of the old companions and rivals, have them represent their regions, mix Ash's team up, etc. It'd be current to real time and fit in with Galar's "battles as big time sports entertainment" theme. I know it's not likely, and there are fanfic writers who could handle a cast like that better than the anime writers probably could, but man would that be cool.

Also, calling it now: Ash's jersey number will be 151.

Personally, I'm not impressed by Bea or Allister. Bea's cute, but Allister sounds way too reserved/gloomy to be a companion...they tend to be pretty outgoing and lighthearted.

That would just make him different and interesting.

And let's be cautious about the gyms. Chances are good the producers will chuck the gyms being packed stadiums in favor of them being like all the other gyms for simplicity's sake (and the budget).

As much as I want to see gym battles in the SS anime be like they are in the SS games, we all know how the Show won't use elements from the games even when they'd be good for it...<_<

Last edited:

Perhaps Ash going to Galar would probably be when Ash's Meltan evolves into Melmetal, and Professor Oak would be in disbelief over the fact that this Mythical Pokemon has not been seen for 3000 years, and that it has some connections to the Galar Region.

It's just a wild guess, or a wild hunch that this would likely lead to this.

I think it's far more likely that Meltan would evolve into Melmetal during the last stretch of SM. There's no reason to save that for when Ash goes to Galar and I don't think that they'd include some connection to the Galar region just for Ash to take Meltan along.

I think it's far more likely that Meltan would evolve into Melmetal during the last stretch of SM. There's no reason to save that for when Ash goes to Galar and I don't think that they'd include some connection to the Galar region just for Ash to take Meltan along.
Especially considering Meltan will most likely take a team slot away from an actual Galar Pokemon if it tags along.

I had an unusual dream last night, and it's Serena returning in Sword and Shield, but no Clemont nor Bonnie. instead their role is replaced by one of the Galar Gym Leaders.
I wish

I still think that there's more to Serena than just her crush on Ash. That does contribute to her popularity quite a bit, but there were people who enjoyed her storyline beyond that. In my opinion, Serena's best moments in XY had nothing to do with her crush on Ash and everything to do with her determination to become a Performer and her bonds with her Pokemon. I don't think writing a special with Serena doing Contests or doing something on her own would be that difficult to pull off. Being able to see a Contest again would be the only good thing to come from Serena using Contests as a stepping stone for Showcases. Although, since they aren't featured in any of the current games, that might have been a factor as to why they haven't made a special about Serena's trip through Hoenn.

I don't think I could see Serena meeting up with Iris. There are few characters who I think would be able to get along with Iris right away without being written out of character like Dawn was in BW, but I could see her interacting with Lana, at least more so than Iris. I am kind of glad that they didn't force a reason for Serena to suddenly appear in Alola though. I'd rather see good in-universe justifications for characters to return than just forcing them in their for the shake of a tradition. I'm not sure if they could have come up with a good in-universe reason for Serena to appear in Alola. They could have easily made a special about her though and I could still see that happening at some point. It may not be too likely, but I could see them doing it at some point.

I'm surprised that people really expect Serena to return as a major character. There's no chance of that happening, so there's no need to worry about it. Having Serena appear again in SWSH or more likely be given a special could happen, but they aren't going to have Serena become a main character again. Why bother doing that when her story was pretty much done at the end of XY? There are going to be plenty of eighth generation characters to choose from to become part of the main cast. They aren't going to bring the female lead who represents X/Y to promote Sword/Shield.
Defending Serena. That's my boy.

I'm pretty sure NSFW artists' effect on the anime's casting is pretty low. Anyways...

Nessa will be Iris 2.0 :wynaut:
Milo will be Cilan 2.0 :wynaut:
Then everyone will hate them. :bulbaFacepalm:

There is no pattern.
God there is no pattern. Just people over thinking things.

I mean, Ash is inspired by almost every character who has a higher status than him, so that would feel a little reductive. Besides Leon is just a Champion, not a Pokemon Master. So I'm not sure what he could teach Ash that Ash hasn't already seen from other Champions.

That would just make him different and interesting.

And let's be cautious about the gyms. Chances are good the producers will chuck the gyms being packed stadiums in favor of them being like all the other gyms for simplicity's sake (and the budget).

As much as I want to see gym battles in the SS anime be like they are in the SS games, we all know how the Show won't use elements from the games even when they'd be good for it...<_<

I suppose. Personally, between that and his design, he just doesn't interest me. Then again, they did a nice job with Acerola and I quite enjoyed her character in the anime, but who knows. The more of the gym leaders we see, the more I'm starting to veer towards none of them being companions (though I don't know who exactly would fill the void then...I guess the female PC if there's something interesting for her to do.)

I'm not really worried about the gym battles. I know they (majorly) dropped the ball with the Island Challenge, but the way these gym battles are presented remind me more of Contests in that there's an audience involved. Will the anime show a super animated, unique looking crowd each time? More than likely not. I'd be pleasantly surprised, but I don't expect it. They'd managed it for years with Contests, so I don't see why it couldn't be applied to the gym battles this region.

I'm not really worried about the gym battles. I know they (majorly) dropped the ball with the Island Challenge, but the way these gym battles are presented remind me more of Contests in that there's an audience involved. Will the anime show a super animated, unique looking crowd each time? More than likely not. I'd be pleasantly surprised, but I don't expect it. They'd managed it for years with Contests, so I don't see why it couldn't be applied to the gym battles this region.

Not to mention crowds at Showcases.
Excellent point. (y)

If they can have crowds for those, I guess they could have it for Galar gym battles if they aren't lazy or stingy (though it's usually one or the other with them. Sometimes both)

And here's something that recently hit me...what if they take advantage of the what the Switch can do to have more than 8 gyms???
I also have to wonder if they'll have a side feature like Contests, Musicals, or PokeMovies to give players something else to do, which in turn might make for another subplot the Show could use...:unsure:
Just saying :confused_emoji:
(the UK has an active performing side ;) )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom