• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
These patterns so to speak are the result of users over thinking. It'd be fine to have Bea and or Alister. I have taken a liking to the latter myself.
Isn't "gym leaders as companions" just another "pattern" people cling to? I personally like to see one of the rival characters as a companion.
Honestly, I’m starting to find this kind of language really irritating. I’m sure everyone understood your original point about Hidaka’s misogynistic comment from 10 years ago, but there’s no reason we as a community need to talk in a way that propagates that as valid.
Not to mention it doesn't matter what that guy was rambling about as he stopped being anime director at the end of AG and doesn't even work for the show anymore.

Isn't "gym leaders as companions" just another "pattern" people cling to? I personally like to see one of the rival characters as a companion.
I don't think that's happening because every non-version exclusive gym would have to be challenged twice, and I don't think that the anime staff would do that.

I don't think that's happening because every non-version exclusive gym would have to be challenged twice, and I don't think that the anime staff would do that.
If gym leaders can do other things and have different goals in the anime, I can't see why the same can't be done for the rivals.

Doing that for Hop would essentially derail his character, because he wants to be like his brother Leon.
We still barely know anything about his character, and it's not like the anime is that faithful in adapting game characters' personalities. Not to mention...
...there is still Bede and Marnie.

Honestly, I’m starting to find this kind of language really irritating. I’m sure everyone understood your original point about Hidaka’s misogynistic comment from 10 years ago, but there’s no reason we as a community need to talk in a way that propagates that as valid.

I also believe that even the money-driven ethos of the Pokemon corporation is capable of progress. I don’t feel strongly either way about Saitou/Bea but I really hope we’re moving into an era when being ‘eye-candy’ is no longer a requirement for being the series’ female lead.

I'm not really following you; how does describing what she looks like propagate anything negative about her? I literally just said what she looks like from my own point-of-view, although some other people would probably agree that she has a sturdy physique. As for the eye-candy thing, I wasn't even implying that in that post since the last time that I mentioned Hidaka's interview was on Tuesday morning and then I just dropped the subject. So that post and my post from yesterday night aren't meant to be connected.

Last edited:
I'm not really following you; how does describing what she looks like propagate anything negative about her? I literally just said what she looks like from my own point-of-view, although some other people would probably agree that she has a sturdy physique. As for the eye-candy thing, I wasn't even implying that in that post since the last time that I mentioned Hidaka's interview was on Tuesday morning and then I just dropped the subject, so that post and my most recent post from yesterday night aren't meant to be connected.
Also, I heard that Hidaka doesn't work on the anime anymore.

I'm not really following you; how does describing what she looks like propagate anything negative about her? I literally just said what she looks like from my own point-of-view, although some other people would probably agree that she has a sturdy physique. As for the eye-candy thing, I wasn't even implying that in that post since the last time that I mentioned Hidaka's interview was on Tuesday morning and then I just dropped the subject. So that post and my post from yesterday night aren't meant to be connected.
Perhaps it was unfair to single that post out. But there have been some posts (not just by you) with inference or outright stating that this character (or others actually) are not conventionally attractive enough to make it as main characters. Maybe, unfortunately, that is true. I live in hope that it will not be (some day).

But it is not a healthy thread of thought, and if we are going to talk about it I feel we should do so openly, so that people can consciously see the media bias on one type of beauty blah blah blah. I am just conscious that there are many young, impressionable minds reading our Pokeani-related ramblings and I don't think we should contribute to sowing seeds of prejudice or even self-hatred.

The eye candy thing has gotten very stale for me over the past years, especially if that means we have to see the same character design over and over again when it comes to the girls. Besides Lana, all girls have the same type of body and Lana herself is also not that different. The only real difference is in her flat chest and her eye shapes, maybe also her face is a bit more rounded, but that's about it.

Bea at least is a bit more different in terms of body shape. She has a sixpack, bigger shoulders, seems to be a bit taller than the protagonist and has really big feet (well, for a girl anyway). Bea looks visually very pleasing for me at least. It would be something new for once at leats when it comes to the girls.

The eye candy thing has gotten very stale for me over the past years, especially if that means we have to see the same character design over and over again when it comes to the girls. Besides Lana, all girls have the same type of body and Lana herself is also not that different. The only real difference is in her flat chest and her eye shapes, maybe also her face is a bit more rounded, but that's about it.

Bea at least is a bit more different in terms of body shape. She has a sixpack, bigger shoulders, seems to be a bit taller than the protagonist and has really big feet (well, for a girl anyway). Bea looks visually very pleasing for me at least. It would be something new for once at leats when it comes to the girls.

It might help if the series had a counterpart series aimed a bit older so the characters can be depicted as older: that means more variety. However.....well which of us can actually figure out what Pokemon will do? We live in a world where nothing is sacred, Shadow Pokemon are leaked and rumored for Go after all.

It might help if the series had a counterpart series aimed a bit older so the characters can be depicted as older: that means more variety.
To give their credit, they didn't do a bad job with introducing some visual variety in SM - Kaki and Mao are POC, Maamane is the first 'fat' main character we've ever had and Suiren certainly doesn't follow the stereotypical anime waifu design the producers have seemed to be so fond of. I hope they can carry this diversity on when the cast is smaller.

I just thought... As part of winning the Alola League, or as a farewell present, Professor Kukui and Burnet would give Ash his endorsement for the Galar League?

I just thought... As part of winning the Alola League, or as a farewell present, Professor Kukui and Burnet would give Ash his endorsement for the Galar League?

I dunno. I'd rather see someone who's actually native to Galar give Ash the endorsement since it would make a bit more sense for a Galar character to have that kind of pull imo.

I dunno. I'd rather see someone who's actually native to Galar give Ash the endorsement since it would make a bit more sense for a Galar character to have that kind of pull imo.
I'm hoping for someone from Galar appear in Sun and Moon as a type of prelude to the new series.

I really want to have another dark skinned / African beauty in Ash's friendship circle. Most black woman characters have in my eyes really cool designs or funny personalities.
Nessa looks Indian or Dougla (half Black and half Indian) to me. Also, I liked how Bea looked Filipino (no offense). They looked gorgeous and beautiful. I really want to see a Southeast Asian and mixed raced characters. To me, Southeast Asian and mixed race characters are very kind and nice.

Last edited:
With both Mimikyu and Mareanie confirmed to be in Sword and Shield, that gives credibility to the theory that Jessie and James take the Pokemon with them to Galar, since they don't wanna send them to the HQ.
Imagine a similar scenario to Cacnea happening to Jame's Mareenie when meeting Nessa or Poison Type Gym Leader.

Imagine a similar scenario to Cacnea happening to Jame's Mareenie when meeting Nessa or Poison Type Gym Leader.

I won't mind that, as long as it happens at the end of the saga (Or a proper re-union), since that gives Mareanie a proper sent-off, rather than with Cacnea who never appeared afterwards so we could see how stronger it became.

However, the problem is that Mareanie is in love with James (Unlike Cacnea).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom