• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
UNPOPULAR OPINION WARNING!
Honestly, I want a new protagonist for Sword and Shield. I feel like Ash has run his course and that it's time for some fresh blood. He hasn't had real character development since XYZ, and that was centered around figuring out Ash-Greninja. A new protagonist would breath new life into the series, I think. Perhaps a studious girl who relies too much on what she's read and her plans, and who collapses under the pressure of an unplanned situation.

Unfortunately, such an idea will realistically never happen, as Ash and his Pikachu are too much of an icon, but mostly Pikachu. Giving a new protagonist a Pikachu would be boring and repetitive, and there's no way they'd lose the face of the franchise. So, sadly, my hope is reduced to a pipe dream.
Honestly, XY arc, no matter how impressive it was, didn't do well at the money side of things, nor in Japan. Same could be said for Gen 6 where YoKai Watch took Japan by storm for a time, which ended when Gen 7 rolled around.

I'm pretty sure that isn't an unpopular opinion. A lot of people want Ash to be replaced and I see the same arguments over and over again every time a new generation is about to come out. There's just no way Ash can be replaced. He's been the lead for over twenty years. Ash and Pikachu are too well established and iconic for the anime to get rid of them. We're long past the point where replacing Ash would even be remotely possible.

Besides all that, I really think people put too much faith in a brand new lead would automatically be better. It would give the writers a clean slate, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a new lead would be handled well or significantly different from Ash. They can basically do a relatively clean slate with Ash, but also have access to other characters/Pokemon if they ever want or need to showcase them for a future game.

I suppose a comparison here is the Yu Gi Oh protags: how many times has the protagonist changed and been seen as a genuine improvement? Especially in a case of 'followed a good protagonist with a good protagonist/good + protagonist, etc)

Honestly, XY arc, no matter how impressive it was, didn't do well at the money side of things, nor in Japan. Same could be said for Gen 6 where YoKai Watch took Japan by storm for a time, which ended when Gen 7 rolled around.

...Look, I know a guy whose made it very clear in reaction level that XY and SM actually had similar rating levels, and does so frequently even before SM earned his hatred and gave him a desire to go after defenders of it.

Low XY levels can be attributed to things like Decolour early burnout, for a example with the viola gym battle.

Is it just me, or are posting exact same posts over and over again? Like, why?

Since they've been downplaying the Rotom Pokedex in the anime, it may be possible that there's a low chance of the Rotom Phone appearing in the anime...

I see some Pokés here that I think were not confirmed to be in SwSh yet, game-wise. Do you think we can use this to determine and deduce what Pokémons will then appear in the remainder of the GalarDex?

I see Chimchar so I am a happy camper

I doubt the game restrictions would affect what Pokemon merch uses.

Since they've been downplaying the Rotom Pokedex in the anime, it may be possible that there's a low chance of the Rotom Phone appearing in the anime...

Why would it not appear when it's the game's Pokedex?

The illustrations' art style scream XY to me. Surely that must at least indicate SwSh's art style being akin to XY's...

I don't think its real. Too many old Pokemon, while the only new ones are the starters Sobble, Scorbunny and Grookey and why will Dedenne be such heavily featured next to Pikachu instead of Meowth and/or Wobbuffet in the first poster, considering they are also main characters. Another problem is that Grookey, Scorbunny and Sobble have the exact same pose on 2 of the posters and it seems like the one with only the Pokemon on it and not background, is heavily photoshopped if you look at the quality of the starters in the front compared with the rest of the Pokemon.

The illustrations' art style scream XY to me. Surely that must at least indicate SwSh's art style being akin to XY's...

There are a lot of rumors going around that the art style and overall feel of the S&S anime will be very close to that of X&Y. I personally hope not, because I found X&Y to be a complete snoozefest.

I don't think its real. Too many old Pokemon, while the only new ones are the starters Sobble, Scorbunny and Grookey and why will Dedenne be such heavily featured next to Pikachu instead of Meowth and/or Wobbuffet in the first poster, considering they are also main characters. Another problem is that Grookey, Scorbunny and Sobble have the exact same pose on 2 of the posters and it seems like the one with only the Pokemon on it and not background, is heavily photoshopped if you look at the quality of the starters in the front compared with the rest of the Pokemon.
The only reason why I could see Dedenne getting heavily promoted is if Bonnie returns in the Sword & Shield anime, and that's not likely to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom