• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did you even reach that conclusion when there are like 90 other Pokemon showcased on that calendar as well?
look at the calendar it's with the starters and pikachu that means someone in the cast might get eevee again

Also, Dedenne is there and shown rather prominently. The only reason that I think that they would do this is if Bonnie came back, because Dedenne is not new and not iconic and popular enough to be given to multiple characters.

Also, Dedenne is there and shown rather prominently. The only reason that I think that they would do this is if Bonnie came back, because Dedenne is not new and not iconic and popular enough to be given to multiple characters.

And if Bonnie came back, you can be sure that Clemont and possibly Serena will be to follow... and, despite the hopes and dreams of all Amourshippers (myself included), that's not likely to happen, at least in my eyes. Especially Clemont.

And if Bonnie came back, you can be sure that Clemont and possibly Serena will be to follow... and, despite the hopes and dreams of all Amourshippers (myself included), that's not likely to happen, at least in my eyes. Especially Clemont.
I see Bonnie's return as the only reason why Dedenne would be so heavily promoted on this calendar if this is indeed legitimate.

I see Bonnie's return as the only reason why Dedenne would be so heavily promoted on this calendar if this is indeed legitimate.

And, going on what others have said concerning the calendar's quality and what I just said about the anime, I'm inclined to believe that the calendar is indeed illegitimate.

look at the calendar it's with the starters and pikachu that means someone in the cast might get eevee again

It's just a calendar though. None of the previous ones have ever foreshadowed which Pokemon will join the cast iirc, and this one doesn't seem to be any different. I guess by your logic, that Dedenne that's next to Pikachu will also gain an evolved form.

It's just a calendar though. None of the previous ones have ever foreshadowed which Pokemon will join the cast iirc, and this one doesn't seem to be any different. I guess by your logic, that Dedenne that's next to Pikachu will also gain an evolved form.
actually some have for example one has shown a grotle in one of the 2008 calendar images and it happened to be ash's and in 2014 where panocha was on it caught by Serena. one in 2015 showed greninja and ash's evolved and finally last year one has shown ash and his classmates and no poipole. see what I mean?

Well it honestly does seem iffy that a calendar for the first full year of Gen XIII features practically no Galar Pokemon.

It’s also only July. Do we normally get calendar leaks this early?!

Meltan in there...

EDIT: I posted this link in the Dogasu thread 'Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution' Impressions, Changes, and Sequels! - PokéBeach / Pokémon TCG, games, and anime news!

"At the end of the film, the preview for next year’s Pokemon movie revealed it would be back to hand-drawn animation. The teaser featured Pikachu dropping onto a “Pokemon 2020” logo in his Sun & Moon art style."

This is one interesting tidbit in regards to the upcoming Sword & Shield anime, maybe it'll have similar animation to Sun & Moon but more polished/refined, what do you guys think? I wonder how will the fandom react because the Sun & Moon anime, while I liked it, it was received with mixed and divided opinions about it (hell 3 years later I still read complains on twitter, facebook, ect about its artstyle).

Last edited:
Meltan in there...

EDIT: I posted this link in the Dogasu thread 'Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution' Impressions, Changes, and Sequels! - PokéBeach / Pokémon TCG, games, and anime news!

"At the end of the film, the preview for next year’s Pokemon movie revealed it would be back to hand-drawn animation. The teaser featured Pikachu dropping onto a “Pokemon 2020” logo in his Sun & Moon art style."

This is one interesting tidbit in regards to the upcoming Sword & Shield anime, maybe it'll have similar animation to Sun & Moon but more polished/refined, what do you guys think? I wonder how will the fandom react because the Sun & Moon anime, while I liked it, it was received with mixed and divided opinions about it (hell 3 years later I still read complains on twitter, facebook, ect about its artstyle).

Let's all think for a moment and go through everything and make logical predictions for a moment.

While I would love the artstyle to stay, I don't see this as a hint. Pikachu popped up with his Pre-SM Artstyle after the end of the Volcanion Movie as a teaser for the 20th anniversary special. Heck they still use Pikachu's Pre-SM Design instead of it's current SM Design on most merch even after XY&Z. If this means anything, it means they'll start using his SM Design on Game, Merchandise Posters and all those things instead of his old design. I honestly doubt we'll go back to the pre-sm artstyle, I think that old artstyle is finished ( thank god, since it was uninteresting, bland, and boring anyway ). The Generations, M21, Pokemon Masters, M22 are all different from the Pre-SM artstyle and while not equally matching SM's they are more similar to it ( note that I didn't mention M20 since it was most likely in production before SM ). From a staff point of view, who do you think is going to be head screenplay of this series? Tomiyasu ( Head Director of SM ) seems to absolutely adore Fujisaku since he keeps on giving him important episodes even tho the guy is a total newbie to Pokemon, but at the same time since Tomioka kept on head writing 3 series continously it makes sense Matsui will stay as head writer. Only 3/8 writers returned from XY to work on SM so it's clear based on this that even if they try something different in the next series, it won't be Alola Free. Tomiyasu himself as no reason to leave the director post ( Hidaka and Suto overstayed, Yajima left because he wanted to direct the Movies and was Yuyama's Successor ) so Tomiyasu has no reason to leave the Director's Post. Speaking of Yajima, could he be chief director and will Yuyama retire? Back to Tomiyasu, he himself has different interests, he directed both Pokemon Origins and Pokemon Generations and now is directing the total opposite which is a comedy-full series. So its clear he can do different things. Maki Kodaira has received the Deputy Director position for Sun & Moon like Tomiyasu received the Deputy Director Position for XY&Z. So will he be next series director? As for patterns, BW matched Kanto, while DA acted like Orange Islands, XY matched Johto with some boderline AG similarities like Ash using his experiences from the previous series. SM matched AG like Ash with no progression and no regression although I could definitely debate and put up an argument that SM Ash has grown in some areas outside of battling, SM also has borderline similarities with DP ( like him getting two starters ) despite the tone being vastly different. Based on this we can judge and say he'll get all three starters in SwSh with some DP and BW similarities. Also a tip, pay attention to things like merch, Anime Staff's Social Media Accounts and things like that. XY Anime was leaked via merch back in June 2013, We got Togdemaru and Rockruff Anime Merch with the XY&Z Logo on it ( most likely not to spoil the SM Logo ) in Late-August 2016. SM Anime Logo was leaked on September 6th before it was revealed one week later.

Wonder if this might shed some light on the anime series

View: https://twitter.com/R0h_Martins/status/1151509117418315776

Eh...not buying it.
Too many old Pokemon in stock poses. Looks like a calendar for Pocket Monsters in general than SwSh.
Though I'm not above Ho-Oh coming back (and actually DOING something).
Though if true that thing implies a bunch of old companions coming back, and what are the odds of that?

That thing’s literally filled with Sinnoh Pokemon...

There have been some suspicious Sinnoh elements the last few years. Besides, it's about time for a remake ;)

Oh boy here we go, the beginning of the end. If that trailer is any indication of what kind of animation we can expect in ShSw, then get ready for more face faults, sparkle puke, twerking, and uvula faces. Lemme prepare the eulogy.

Image result for mariah cemetery gif

There have been some suspicious Sinnoh elements the last few years. Besides, it's about time for a remake ;)

Y'all have been using any appearances by Sinnoh Pokemon to justify D/P remakes; the Piplup and Lucario appearances in Movie 20 in particular sparked a frenzy of speculation about Sinnoh remakes 2 years ago and that led nowhere. I'm not saying that we won't get them eventually, but I just don't get why every single little thing gets over-analyzed when most of these 'hints' are meaningless.

Y'all have been using any appearances by Sinnoh Pokemon to justify D/P remakes; the Piplup and Lucario appearances in Movie 20 in particular sparked a frenzy of speculation about Sinnoh remakes 2 years ago and that led nowhere. I'm not saying that we won't get them eventually, but I just don't get why every single little thing gets over-analyzed when most of these 'hints' are meaningless.

This. Imo, we get Sinnoh remakes in 2021 on its earliest and 2022 on its latest, with 2020 being a gap year, so its way too early for Sinnoh marketing.

I wouldn't take the animation used for the preview for next year's movie as a strong indication of what the animation style will be fore SWSH series. I'm pretty sure that they've had CGI previews before and that didn't mean anything. I don't know if they'll maintain the SM animation or go for something different, but I don't think that the animation style for a brief preview at the end of the most recent movie means much of anything.

Yeah, there's way too much overreaction/overthinking on the art style used in the movie preview. A majority of the time, the content shown in the preview has very little or nothing to do with the next movie, so I highly doubt the art style being used in the preview is an indication of what they're going to be using in the series itself.

Anything is possible, but the art style has changed pretty consistently with every series beginning with BW, so I'm expecting a change. Either way, I really don't see why the people who produce the shows/movies would want to reveal a brand new art style with a 30 (?) second preview that ultimately means nothing.

The animation from the recent 2D movies would be too expensive and would also lead to so many animators to work overtime. This is probably one of the reasons why S&M choosed that simpler art style.

Last edited:
and would also lead to so many animators to work overtime.

Image result for so gif

It's been 20+ years and at this point I don't see why we should settle for mediocrity when it comes to animation. Like, you know things are bad when several series that get lower ratings than Pokemon have animation that looks twice as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom