• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, as a fan of long running Shonen I accept that animation can't be ultra tier....though I still don't get why we have action lines in SM again after XY did not have them.

Surely SWord and Shield can drop the lines again, even if the animation style is something different than XY.

Image result for so gif

Because animators are people and they shouldn’t have to work overtime to appeal to adult fans of a children’s cartoon?

Like I agree the animation in this show is mediocre but the show has more or less been produced on a tight schedule since day 1. There are definitely ways they could improve the product, but over-working employees that are probably already burnt out isn’t one of them.

As much as I love S&M I personally can't wait to see S&S and how it will look. But I'm most likely interested in the characters. So far S&S has some of the most interesting human characters design-wise and personality-wise. Milo as a gentle giant, Nessa as the black femme-fatale, Sonia as the cute apprentice, Bea as the tough girl and with Allister this creepy weirdo.

So many interesting characters, I really hope Ash's new companions will be one of them or characters that are as interesting and fresh like them. Can you imagine how boring this anime will get (for a veteran like me) if we go again with a girly girl and a cook as companions? Seriously, if that happens, I personally see no reason to watch the anime.

Last edited:
As much as I love S&M I personally can't wait to see S&S and how it will look. But I'm most likely interested in the characters. So far S&S has some of the most interesting human characters design-wise and personality-wise. Milo as a gentle giant, Nessa as the black femme-fatale, Sonia as the cute apprentice, Bea as the tough girl and with Allister this creepy weirdo.

So many interesting characters, I really hope Ash's new companions will be one of them or characters that are as interesting and fresh like them. Can you imagine how boring this anime will get (for a veteran like me) if we go again with a girly girl and a cook as companions? Seriously, if that happens, I personally see no reason to watch the anime.
We've still more characters and Gym Leaders to see yet.

Kabu the Fire Type Blacksmith of the Manchester City Gym and Opal the Dark Type Actress of the Liverpool Gym, to which I could already see her being something based on a Vampire. And yes, first Fairy Type Gym according to the leak is a typo or mistake for Dark Gym. That person would've been familiar with XY regardless. I would also see a male Snowboarder as a Version exclusive Gym Leader for Sword, whilst Opal for Shield. However, if Opal is Fairy Type and is from the Sherwood Forest Gym, what better than to see her as a Robin Hood or Maid Marian type of character.

We've still more characters and Gym Leaders to see yet.

Kabu the Fire Type Blacksmith of the Manchester City Gym and Opal the Dark Type Actress of the Liverpool Gym, to which I could already see her being something based on a Vampire. And yes, first Fairy Type Gym according to the leak is a typo or mistake for Dark Gym. That person would've been familiar with XY regardless. I would also see a male Snowboarder as a Version exclusive Gym Leader for Sword, whilst Opal for Shield. However, if Opal is Fairy Type and is from the Sherwood Forest Gym, what better than to see her as a Robin Hood or Maid Marian type of character.
Kabu's specialty type isn't even confirmed yet.

Maybe its just me but with Galar based on the UK, I'm really excited to see what the anime does with anime exclusive towns and cities, wonder if they'll have something along the lines of the Spinnaker Tower

Image result for problematic gif

Sad to see that Nessa's skin color automatically makes her a femme fatale in some peoples' eyes. Like, I guess because she's dark-skinned she has to be seductive and cut-throat? Yikes. :rolleyes:
Japan has a different view and culture to the west.

Maybe its just me but with Galar based on the UK, I'm really excited to see what the anime does with anime exclusive towns and cities, wonder if they'll have something along the lines of the Spinnaker Tower

Since Nessa's Gym town is where Blackpool is located, I would expect of seeing their version of Blackpool Tower. However it seems like that has been moved to London, and all we have instead is a lighthouse. I suppose it would still work, there are lighthouses at Fleetwood, which is next door to Blackpool. There is also Preston which once had a working dock, Southport where Napoleon III resided when in exile from France, and Liverpool. Although Liverpool is reserved for the snowy town.

Japan has a different view and culture to the west.

What does Japan have to do with what I said? I'm talking about how some people (or I guess one person) here views Nessa as a femme fatale and how they just had to bring up her skin color while doing so. She could potentially be any kind of character when she shows up in the anime, but I don't see why her skin tone is relevant to what her personality might be.

What does Japan have to do with what I said? I'm talking about how some people (or I guess one person) here views Nessa as a femme fatale and how they just had to bring up her skin color while doing so. She could potentially be any kind of character when she shows up in the anime, but I don't see why her skin tone is relevant to what her personality might be.
The only thing I can describe her of being is glammer girl.

Well, she is black and she comes off like a femme fatale. This is the reason why I few her as one.

Well, she is black and she comes off like a femme fatale. This is the reason why I few her as one.

You're completely missing the point. You calling Nessa a 'femme fatale' isn't the issue; the issue is that you specifically mentioned her race as if it should be a factor in how her character is portrayed. I mean, you didn't mention Milo or Sonia being white when you were talking about them, you simply called them words like gentle and cute. The issue is that you immediately homed in on Nessa's skin tone as if that's important, when you could've just called her a femme fatale (tbh I don't see how she resembles one anyways, but whatever I guess that's just your interpretation of a character whose personality we haven't seen yet).

You're completely missing the point. You calling Nessa a 'femme fatale' isn't the issue; the issue is that you specifically mentioned her race as if it should be a factor in how her character is portrayed. I mean, you didn't mention Milo or Sonia being white when you were talking about them, you simply called them words like gentle and cute. The issue is that you immediately homed in on Nessa's skin tone as if that's important, when you could've just called her a femme fatale (tbh I don't see how she resembles one anyways, but whatever I guess that's just your interpretation of a character whose personality we haven't seen yet).
Glammer Girl is the only thing I could describe her.

But does she really look like a femme fatale? I think she just seems like a generic athlete TBH. Apparently she is a bit of a sore loser, too, according to the official website but I don't think that means she is a femme fatale.

Honestly, I think you're assuming a lot about these characters' personalities simply based off their designs. The anime have given video game characters different personalities than what they've had in the games before, so it wouldn't be a stretch for it to happen in the SWSD series too. Aside from maybe Bea, I still have a hard time seeing any of these characters as traveling companion material. Having characters who are different from the typical roles just for the shake of it doesn't mean that it would be automatically better or that they'd be more interesting. If the characters are still underdeveloped, don't get much focus, don't really have a goal or are poorly written, then being different from the more typical roles is rather moot.

We do have traditionally feminine female leads, as I still loathe the term girly, and most of the male companions have been cooks, but I think it would be completely unfair to say that they're all the same or even too similar because they fit in a specific role. I think that overlooks, if not flat out ignores, the key differences that do make them different and engaging for the audience to watch. I just really don't understand this logic of not wanting to watch the anime if they do go with the more typical roles for the companions mainly because most of the series over the past twenty years have already featured cast members in that role.

How does Nessa come off as a femme fatale? I thought that a femme fatale was a kind of like a female spy who uses her charm to lure men around them. Nessa does have a great design and she radiates confidence, but that's not the same thing as being a femme fatale. It just seems like a huge assumption that doesn't even make sense. As far as focusing on her skin color, I don't think I have any room to really talk about it since I'm not black, but I can understand why her skin color would be important for a number of reasons. Describing Nessa as a femme fatale seems a bit more problematic to me by comparison.

Can racial discussions be out of discussion in Pokemon anime!? It's kinda boring to bring politics and the such into threads imo, I'm mixed race and I'm tired of seeing it on TV and News everywhere and now is brought to Pokemon, omg:confused: anyway...

I remember the Sun & Moon anime series was announced on September 15/2016 (I think it was after the final episode of the Team Flare arc) based on this, we're still over a month and a half from a poster/teaser for Sw&Sh, hopefully they reveal something about the next anime earlier than expected.

Can racial discussions be out of discussion in Pokemon anime!? It's kinda boring to bring politics and the such into threads imo, I'm mixed race and I'm tired of seeing it on TV and News everywhere and now is brought to Pokemon, omg:confused: anyway...

I remember the Sun & Moon anime series was announced on September 15/2016 (I think it was after the final episode of the Team Flare arc) based on this, we're still over a month and a half from a poster/teaser for Sw&Sh, hopefully they reveal something about the next anime earlier than expected.
We'll probably get after the Alola League Arc...

• Team Skull Arc
  • Gladian and Lillie's Father being found.
  • Few slice of life
  • Ash and his friends graduating and Ash having to say goodbye to his classmates before returning to Kanto.
  • Ash learning about Galar and setting off there.

The carpet within the Manchester City in the Japanese trailer where you see Chairman Rose and Oleana has a fire pattern. It might be Fire, it might be Steel.
That might not even be Kabu's Gym. It might be in the Ice area or somewhere else. Also, his/her name means "fog" in Fijian so he/she might be a Flying-type leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom