• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to be so cool seeing Ash having gym battles in front of huge stadiums of people. Battling in front of crowds obviously isn't new, but for something as common as gym battles, it's going to be something really interesting to see. Especially the fact that Ash's friends will now be watching him in a sea of other people :ROFLMAO:

Since all of the townspeople wear outfits to support the gym leader, I wonder if Ash's companions will wear outfits to match his jersey to support him for his battles. :p

Boy, you guys are so sensitive. So when I call Misty, for example, a redhead or ginger, would this be also controversial? Why must everything be so political nowadays? Also, haven't you guys not see on the internet how many fans were bewitched by the first look of Nessa? I personally can see her as an African femme fatal. In my eyes, this isn't a bad thing. She is attractive. And who knows maybe in the anime she has a lot of male fans and maybe also female as well.

It's going to be so cool seeing Ash having gym battles in front of huge stadiums of people. Battling in front of crowds obviously isn't new, but for something as common as gym battles, it's going to be something really interesting to see. Especially the fact that Ash's friends will now be watching him in a sea of other people :ROFLMAO:
Ash losing in a gym battle will also have a greater impact too since it will be a public loss for everyone to see.

Also, haven't you guys not see on the internet how many fans were bewitched by the first look of Nessa? I personally can see her as an African femme fatal. In my eyes, this isn't a bad thing. She is attractive. And who knows maybe in the anime she has a lot of male fans and maybe also female as well.
Well, beautiful=/= femme fatale, by that logic we’d be calling Lusamine a femme fatale. It has to do with personality too. Using her charm to achieve something (the classical femme fatale) is totally out of character for Nessa as far as we know. She’s a calm and collected person who goes all out if needed to be.

Yes, actually Lusamine and also Cynthia I would also call her Femme Fatales, but more in how fans react to them, just like with Nessa. We will see how she is handled in the anime, but personally, I can see Nessa been this exotic woman than can bewitch men and women with her attractive look. Maybe this will be one of her core personalities if she becomes a companion of Ash. Bewitching other people to do her biddings. Could be kinda amusing. Like she is a reserved Brock. Instead of falling constantly in love with other characters as Brock did, maybe a lot of people would fall in love with her.

Boy, you guys are so sensitive. So when I call Misty, for example, a redhead or ginger, would this be also controversial? Why must everything be so political nowadays? Also, haven't you guys not see on the internet how many fans were bewitched by the first look of Nessa? I personally can see her as an African femme fatal. In my eyes, this isn't a bad thing. She is attractive. And who knows maybe in the anime she has a lot of male fans and maybe also female as well.

Dismissing everyone as just being sensitive or that everything is so political nowadays really doesn't help your case. The former is just plain rude and the later really doesn't make sense considering that you were the one who brought up her skin color in the first place, in this conversation at least. And no, calling Misty a redhead or ginger would not be controversial because hair color isn't the same thing as skin color. They aren't even remotely similar for painfully obvious reasons. Not to mention that calling Nessa black wasn't really the issue people had with your earlier comments.

I'm aware that people liked Nessa's design right away. I still think she looks absolutely gorgeous, but that is not the same thing as femme fatal. She isn't luring people with her attractive looks to get what she wants because she's a video game charater. Unless there's another definition to the term that I'm unaware of, it doesn't make sense to use it to describe Nessa.

Yes, actually Lusamine and also Cynthia I would also call her Femme Fatales, but more in how fans react to them, just like with Nessa. We will see how she is handled in the anime, but personally, I can see Nessa been this exotic woman than can bewitch men and women with her attractive look. Maybe this will be one of her core personalities if she becomes a companion of Ash. Bewitching other people to do her biddings. Could be kinda amusing. Like she is a reserved Brock. Instead of falling constantly in love with other characters as Brock did, maybe a lot of people would fall in love with her.

That definition of Femme Fatale still doesn't make sense to me. I've certainly never heard it being used in how fans react to character designs before, so it doesn't really work. Expecting Nessa to be this attractive woman who can bewitch men and women just so she can be different and/or an actual femme fatale doesn't make much sense to me either. She does have an appealing design, but I don't think that the anime would go that far with it. And if you didn't like how political the discussion got already, then I don't think that having Nessa luremen and women to do her bidding would fair much better in that department. Even calling her exotic is problematic in itself.

So... in other words, I should ignore her skin color and imagine she is white? Is that the case? Social justice is a way too complicated for me... I mean, Nessa like Iris and Olivia has a darker skin tone, they are black, or African, or African-American whatever.

Last edited:
So... in other words, I should ignore her skin color and imagine she is white? Is that the case? Social justice is a way too complicated for me... I mean, Nessa like Iris and Olivia has a darker skin tone, they are black, or African, or African-American whatever.
She’s British.

I think in the anime we will get all 3 mechanics Megas, Z-moves and D-max/G-max because the Professor of the region stated that there are other profesors and Megas and Z-moves... On the official sites are character descriptions.

Sure, but she has some African roots, which would explain her skin color. I wonder if someday we will get a region based on an African country with all those beautiful black/exotic girls popping up lately in Pokémon. Iris is a cute black girl, Olivia is a hot black woman, Kiawe's mom is smoke show, and Nessa... man, she is hot.

Ash losing in a gym battle will also have a greater impact too since it will be a public loss for everyone to see.

Yeah that's true. And considering how intense sports fans can be, imagine if Ash loses and the crowd actually "boos" at him or insults him.

Just thinking about it makes me more excited for the gym battles series :giggle:

Yeah that's true. And considering how intense sports fans can be, imagine if Ash loses and the crowd actually "boos" at him or insults him.

Just thinking about it makes me more excited for the gym battles series :giggle:

Imagine how the crowd might react when Ash comes back for a rematch, maybe their views will be similar to ours

Here's a revolutionary new idea, why don't you just treat all the new ShSw characters equally? Like I said before, you didn't feel the need to mention Milo's or Sonia's light skin tones, but you keep telling us that Nessa's dark-skinned when: a) we all know that, b) her skin tone makes no difference to begin with, and c) you keep fetishing skin tones as seen above in your most recent post where you called Olivia a 'hot black woman.' Like, do you not see how that might be taken as offensive... ?

Maybe it's just because I'm a POC, but seeing people judging characters based on their skin tone alone sets the wrong kind of precedent in my mind. That said, I've already pointed out that Nessa doesn't scream cast member to me personally based on how intricate her design looks.

No, that isn't the case. I'm not sure how you got that from anything I said. Imagining a character with a darker skin color as white is really terrible as that's basically whitewashing them. I don't think it's too complicated to try to be more respectful of other people's skin color, especially when saying that Nessa could lure men and women with her looks to do her bidding does come off as sexualizing her. And there is a big difference between fans thinking that she has a good/appealing design and the character actually trying to use her looks to manipulate people. Fetishing skin tones is definitely a big issue. That's one reason why I imagine a lot of POC wouldn't want to be called exotic due to their skin color, hair or anything else about them.

She’s British.

I don't know about that. Just because Galar is based on England doesn't mean that they're all the Pokemon world equivalent of British people.

Tomboyish Mermaid, what the hell? You wanted Nessa as a companion because the previous companions were too girly and eye-candy-ish for your "tastes", and now you call her an exotic femme fatale you fetishizing about and complain about how sensitive people are? That makes no sense and sounds very trollish to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom