• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine why that would be the case when they've had giant Pokemon several times before. Also it would misleading to label a Gigantamax Pokemon as a Mega Evolution.
It's the pokemon gaining a new powerful form for the duration of a battle

The only difference between it and Megas is scale (and maybe item use, but that's such a non-factor that it's irrelevant)

The only difference between it and Megas is scale (and maybe item use, but that's such a non-factor that it's irrelevant)
Dynamax/Gigantomax frees up hold items for Pokemon, unlike that of Megas and Z-Moves. So Giratina in it's Origin Form can easily be Dynamaxed.

Last edited:

Also, Dynamax/Gigantamax wears off after 3 turns while Mega Evolutions remain active until the end of the match.

That's really not true. From what we know so far.

Megas: Power increase. Different appearance. Lasts until battle ends or Pokemon faints.

Dynamax: Pokemon becomes larger. No appearance change (unless Gigantamaxed). Power increase. Moves change into Max moves. Lasts only 3 turns. Can only be used in select locations.

And that's only from what's been confirmed so far. Scale isn't the only difference. So I'll say again, there's no reason to mislabel Dynamaxed/Gigantamaxed Pokemon as Megas when they are not the same thing and fans know they are not the same thing.

Megas: Power increase. Different appearance. Lasts until battle ends or Pokemon faints.

Dynamax: Pokemon becomes larger. No appearance change (unless Gigantamaxed). Power increase. Moves change into Max moves. Lasts only 3 turns. Can only be used in select locations.

And that's only from what's been confirmed so far. Scale isn't the only difference. So I'll say again, there's no reason to mislabel Dynamaxed/Gigantamaxed Pokemon as Megas when they are not the same thing and fans know they are not the same thing.
Dynamax/Gigantomax are introduced to fix the brokenness that Megas and Z-Moves have. Especially as they're held items.

How the anime's gonna handle all the destruction those giant Pokemon should cause's still in my head. Remember Island of the Giant Pokemon, where all sorts of damage happened?

I mean especially inside the soccer stadium-shaped Gyms, which shouldn't be really big.

How the anime's gonna handle all the destruction those giant Pokemon should cause's still in my head. Remember Island of the Giant Pokemon, where all sorts of damage happened?

I mean especially inside the soccer stadium-shaped Gyms, which shouldn't be really big.
Don't forget the Tenticruel episode in the original, the Swalot and Treeko episode in Advance, and Malice in Wonderland in Diamond and Pearl.

Well, the stadiums are pretty huge. Based on the early screenshots it looks like they still have plenty of space to fight that they shouldn't cause too much damage. The anime could also increase the size of the gyms or slightly decrease the size of the Dynamaxed Pokemon if they need to.

pokemon-sword-shield-dynamax.jpg

Corocoro will most likely advertise Pokemon Masters more than Pokemon Sword and Shield, which we won't get any more info on until September. It's not been as gentle flowing as Gen 7 so far, and Masters is what concerns me, as for the moment before releasing August 29th, all the attention is towards that. It's like as if Sword and Shield is some sort of Pokemon Reboot or something because the merchandising and such connected to it are not to be launched until around the same time as SwSh's release.

Hoo boy, I've sure missed a lot while I was gone on vacation.

(I'm probably gonna get in trouble for bringing up this subject again, but, eh, whatever)
I don’t think Nessa’s design is as bad as Olivia’s (there is simply no justifying that outfit), but she is wearing far less than most women would wear in most settings (especially in the UK where it’s mostly cold most of the year).

Two things:
  1. There's a perfectly reasonable explanation for why she's wearing that uniform: she's a Water-type Gym Leader of a sport-based Pokémon League, so it makes sense for her uniform to be based on that of an athletic swimmer (and even more so because she actually is a swimmer);
  2. That's just her uniform. Not her casual attire. I'm sure she's just wearing the swimsuit because "each challenger wears a special uniform for the occasion" (just as the official site says) and that she's wearing more appropriate clothes while outside her stadium.
What’s not to love about a nice racist stereotype! From Rougela/Jynx till the most recent blackface scandal, Pokemon has always taken such a nuanced and sensitive approach to black people after all.

Right, let's just forget all of the other reasonable explanations for why Jynx has black-colored skin (like the possibility that her appearance is based on Ganguro, Yamauba or even Norse mythology). And let's just ignore the context behind why Ash's face was painted black (the fact that he was trying to fit in with a troop of Passimian in order to boost their spirits). No, there's obviously no reasonable explanation for all these controversies other than racism. Absolutely no other explanation. :bulbaFacepalm:

The fact that the last time anyone even mentioned Nessa was yesterday morning (which was a post by me), yet you still felt the need to curse at us and tell us what we should think is the real joke of the day.

Image result for i have to laugh lady gaga gif

I mean you're not wrong about her design being very extra, but at the same time it seems mean-spirited to tell people to stop discussing her.
That is not what I said. I was talking to people pandering to the idea of a suggestive main character.

Same way it handled Z-Moves

We get a cinematic cutscene where the arena is blown to smithereens, then in the next shot, everything's back to normal and nobody comments on it

The only time Z-Moves have actually left behind damage is the first two episodes of SM when Ash & Kiawe used them

Also, Dynamax/Gigantamax wears off after 3 turns while Mega Evolutions remain active until the end of the match.
When does a battle with Mega Evolution last more than three turns? :p

Don't say competitive, because that's not what we're talking about here

Nothing of that contradicts what I said

Gigantomaxing is Mega Evolution and Z-Moves rolled into one

Last edited:
Oh my gosh it's August and we still don't have a hint of what to actually expect in the upcoming saga. Like, hurry up already.

Image result for impatient gif

Right, let's just forget all of the other reasonable explanations for why Jynx has black-colored skin (like the possibility that her appearance is based on Ganguro, Yamauba or even Norse mythology). And let's just ignore the context behind why Ash's face was painted black (the fact that he was trying to fit in with a troop of Passimian in order to boost their spirits). No, there's obviously no reasonable explanation for all these controversies other than racism. Absolutely no other explanation. :bulbaFacepalm:

Tbh I don't think that a lot of people here really think that Ash wearing face paint that vaguely resembled blackface was done on purpose; most of us realize that it was more than likely a very unfortunate coincidence that the writers had Ash paint his face like that in an episode featuring primate Pokemon. But the ganguro excuse regarding Jynx has always seemed like a really forced explanation to me given that Jynx's face was literally black with large bright lips like something out of a 19th century minstrel show, not just badly tanned like you'd see with actual ganguro girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom