• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He tells me that contrary to popular belief, the majority of anime in general is actually aimed at kids (like Pokémon)

Image result for this is brand new information friends

And so he predicts that the Sword & Shield anime will follow the same formula, and we'll see a selection of 4-5 Gym Leaders become Ash's new classmates & rivals in the various Galar League battles.

Not that I'd want to see this, but it still beats the 'Ash will only travel with one friend' theories.

Agreed.

I think Galar is going to be similar to DP.
If so then that will be Ash, the Female Player and one Gym Leader.
Not hinting to the hopes for a DP remake
Just like XY was similar to Advance.

Last edited:
Not on Ash's team. Their is a difference.
Which makes no sense. Appearing every episode beside the cast is a surer way to steal Pikachu's thunder compared to simply being a part of Satoshi's team.

Which makes no sense. Appearing every episode beside the cast is a surer way to steal Pikachu's thunder compared to simply being a part of Satoshi's team.
Yamper will most likely be the Female Companion's. Or Milo's if he's revealed to be a companion
Milo's challenge is to use Yamper to heard Wooloos

I'm not commenting on the cause but the effect. Frankly, the original thinking behind these examples is both irrelevant and something that we'll never know. The idea that something needs to have intention to offend in order to be called racist is a fallacy.

The whole point of racism, according to its definition on Oxford, is that it represents "Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."/"The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.". So, therefore, for something to actually be racist, it needs to push this false narative (or, at the very least, have the intention of perpetuating) that POC are naturally inferior and should be treated as animals, which isn't supported by your examples. The argument that Jynx represents some kind of racist stereotype because of her supposed blackface is very surface level and doesn't have anything else going for it and there's far more evidence that shows that she's based on Yamauba than on a stereotype that was predominant in the west and was eventually abandoned as the 20th century went on (not to mention that wouldn't it have made more sense for her to have darker hair is she was indeed based on this blackface stereotype). And as for the Passimian Ash, the only way you can call it racist is if you strip it of the context of the story and ignore the rest of Ash's appearance (as well as ignoring the fact that Ash's face paint doesn't really reassemble a blackface).
But if the word racism offends you on behalf of the Pokemon francise, you can call it cultural insensitivity. I can't say I find Rougela's design or that Nagetsukesaru incident personally offensive, but I can understand why people do. Assuming good intentions, both are at best examples of not thinking implications through.

I am not "offended" by the word racism. What I am is annoyed by displays of ignorance. Outside of maybe Olivia's appearance, there's nothing validating these accusations and I find it very irritating whenever people go and throw these labels at franchises or companies or even people with little to no proof or justification.

The whole point of racism, according to its definition on Oxford, is that it represents "Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."/"The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.". So, therefore, for something to actually be racist, it needs to push this false narative (or, at the very least, have the intention of perpetuating) that POC are naturally inferior and should be treated as animals, which isn't supported by your examples. The argument that Jynx represents some kind of racist stereotype because of her supposed blackface is very surface level and doesn't have anything else going for it and there's far more evidence that shows that she's based on Yamauba than on a stereotype that was predominant in the west and was eventually abandoned as the 20th century went on (not to mention that wouldn't it have made more sense for her to have darker hair is she was indeed based on this blackface stereotype). And as for the Passimian Ash, the only way you can call it racist is if you strip it of the context of the story and ignore the rest of Ash's appearance (as well as ignoring the fact that Ash's face paint doesn't really reassemble a blackface).

I am not "offended" by the word racism. What I am is annoyed by displays of ignorance. Outside of maybe Olivia's appearance, there's nothing validating these accusations and I find it very irritating whenever people go and throw these labels at franchises or companies or even people with little to no proof or justification.
I don't wish to speak politically here, but people in the west have lost their backbone when it comes to tolerance. Unlike that of Japan, which is different in customs.

With that said, can we please not add any more touchy stuff on this page and instead discuss something anime related for the SwSh series that's coming out in November?

Yamper will most likely be the Female Companion's
Why? That's a very big assumption to make.
With that said, can we please not add any more touchy stuff on this page and instead discuss something anime related for the SwSh series that's coming out in November?
Writing this right after that "backbone" comment doesn't seem sincere to me.

OK, fine, I'll stop talking about political issues (for the time being, at least).

On the topic of the Sword & Shield anime, I do like the idea of Hop becoming one of Ash's companions. After the SM writers butchered Ash and Kiawe's supposed "rivalry", I wouldn't mind if they gave the whole "companion who is also a league rival" another shot (that is, as long as it's better written). As for how they could make it work without doubling the amount of Gym battles, they could fix it by giving Hop this backstory: he already collected 8 badges for the previous Galar League, but by the time he got his 8th badge, the league already started, so he instead decided to spend sometime training for the next league, however he's been on a loosing streak since then when it comes to trainer battles (maybe even have him loose against a jerk-type rival). That could open the way to some potentially interesting stories, not to mention that it would lead to some emotional battles.

They most likely won't do any of this, but I wouldn't mind if they did.

OK, fine, I'll stop talking about political issues (for the time being, at least).

On the topic of the Sword & Shield anime, I do like the idea of Hop becoming one of Ash's companions. After the SM writers butchered Ash and Kiawe's supposed "rivalry", I wouldn't mind if they gave the whole "companion who is also a league rival" another shot (that is, as long as it's better written). As for how they could make it work without doubling the amount of Gym battles, they could fix it by giving Hop this backstory: he already collected 8 badges for the previous Galar League, but by the time he got his 8th badge, the league already started, so he instead decided to spend sometime training for the next league, however he's been on a loosing streak since then when it comes to trainer battles (maybe even have him loose against a jerk-type rival). That could open the way to some potentially interesting stories, not to mention that it would lead to some emotional battles.

They most likely won't do any of this, but I wouldn't mind if they did.
Doubt it.

I wouldn't mind seeing the sponsor system become a real stumbling block for Ash in Galar, especially if he ends up winning the Alola League. Imagine him winning a Game League, but having difficulty getting sponsorship because of the controversy surrounding his League win. And think if he is eventually sponsored not because the sponsor thinks he's any good, but because he'd be another chew toy for Leon, only to become surprised that the Ash that arrived in Galar isn't the SM/BW/Kanto Ash, but the AG/DP/XY Ash and Ash actually has a real chance to legitimately win a Game League and pose a threat to Leon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom