• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Bede and Marnie seem to have some depth to them with their private goals, I don't see either of them as one of Ash's companions. They still could be, but it seems unlikely. Marnie especially since she's literally followed by the evil team everywhere she goes. I imagine both of them will just be rivals to Ash as they are in the game. At the same time, they've given a companion the Pikaclone since Gen 4 so, they could throw Marnie on for that reason since she has one, but I'm not too sure. Since both of their goals are also to become champion, I doubt they'll want Ash traveling with others competing in the same goal. As of now, Bede and Marnie being companions seems unlikely.

Right now I'm at the point where I'd rather just see Ash travel with only Gloria. I'm still praying for no gym leaders. I would be great if the staff was open to using Victor, but I can't see it.

Since the Zigzagoon line now have Galarian forms and a new evolution in the line, I wonder if Ash (or any cast member) will pick one up. I personally doubt it since they seem to be the poster children of Team Yell, but who knows. I might be remembering wrong, but I swear Team Plasma used Scraggy, so I suppose it's not impossible.

I'm not really into Bede's design, but he might be more interesting once they expand more on his motivation in the games and by extension the anime. I really hope that Marine will be Ash's first good female rival. There was Bianca in BW, but I think calling her Ash's rival would be too generous, especially given how they handled her storyline in general. If there is one character that I could possibly hate more than Iris, it would be BW Bianca, so hopefully they don't do something similar with Marine, especially when she looks pretty cool and interesting. I still could see her being a possible companion despite being a rival in the games, but that might be because she has a Morpeko and they have included the new Electric rodent Pokemon of the generation into the main cast for the past few series.

Team Yell also looks pretty fun. They definitely reminded me of Team Skull, but I'm fine with that. I like Team Skull and having the evil teams be less threatening/antagonistic isn't a bad thing either. I don't think I can see anyone catching Galarian Weezing or the Zigzagoon line, but I really hope that Ash catches some Galarian form. It was a shame that he never caught any of the Alolan forms during SM. The fact that some of the Galarian forms could have brand new evolve forms like the Zigzagoon line does could make that more plausible for Ash to catch one. That does effectively make them more like brand new Pokemon, so they may want to showcase some Galarian forms more often in SWSH. I could possibly see James getting an Alolan Weezing, but I'm pretty sure they'll at least have him react to seeing it with flashbacks to the original series, as well as possibly their farewell early on in AG.

Gloria or Bea are the only ones at the moment that has Ash's Female Companion vibes.

Bea could be a foil for Ash at times since she's a Fighting Type, however I'm more leaning to Gloria.

Also, having Rotom another Rotom to talk to (Gloria's) would make things very interesting.

The fact that y'all actually expect Hop, Bede and Marnie to be Ash's rivals is cute. The writers can barely handle one rival these days without screwing things up, so I'm personally not expecting Ash to have three rivals even if the Galar saga might be more battle oriented. Marnie in particular probably has the least chance of becoming Ash's rival since she's a female and the writers have this tendency to not give Ash serious recurring female rivals. She'll probably become more like a supporting character than anything else imo.

The fact that y'all actually expect Hop, Bede and Marnie to be Ash's rivals is cute. The writers can barely handle one rival these days without screwing things up, so I'm personally not expecting Ash to have three rivals even if the Galar saga might be more battle oriented. Marnie in particular probably has the least chance of becoming Ash's rival since she's a female and the writers have this tendency to not give Ash serious recurring female rivals. She'll probably become more like a supporting character than anything else imo.

They handled multiple rivals pretty decently in Sinnoh I'd say. Of course, it could have better though. I could see Hop, Bede, and Marnie all being good rivals if they get enough focus. The fact that the games are more focused on the gym challenge this time around gives me hope that they can do the rivals some justice.

Personally I wouldn't mind Hop being a companion of Ash since he seems more friendly to the PC based on the trailers we've seen, but again, with them sharing the game goal, it seems unlikely.

Yeah, DP had a ton of rivals and for the most part they were handle decently (besides Kenny IMO).

Anyway, for who will be the female companion, I can only see three options (Gloria, Sonia, or an anime-exclusive character). Gloria is pretty self explanatory. Sonia, they would have to de-age, but they have done that before. Lastly, I can see an anime-exclusive character which they have done before with success in Paul and Zoey (granted, they were rivals).

Yeah, DP had a ton of rivals and for the most part they were handle decently (besides Kenny IMO).

Anyway, for who will be the female companion, I can only see three options (Gloria, Sonia, or an anime-exclusive character). Gloria is pretty self explanatory. Sonia, they would have to de-age, but they have done that before. Lastly, I can see an anime-exclusive character which they have done before with success in Paul and Zoey (granted, they were rivals).
Zoey was more of a friendly rival.

I disagree about them being handled decently: Barry didn't even show up until the mid-point of that saga and even then he was a total clown who only beat Ash once.

The idea that all three of the revealed Gen 8 rivals would have a large role in ShSw is what I find unlikely since there have been plenty of times when the writers have snubbed game rival characters completely in the main series (Silver, Hugh) or demoted them to minor roles (Cheren). Even rivals like Tierno and Hau were overshadowed by other rivals like Alain and Gladion (and one of these guys wasn't even a game rival). I'm not saying that all three Galar rivals won't show up at some point in ShSw; I just don't see why we should expect all three of them to be handled the same way as major rivals.

Who said anything like that? There will be only one major rival, as usual.

Oh gee let me see:

If Marnie becomes a Main Rival (Alongside Bede and Hop)

Nothing against this person's post, but this is a prime example of what I meant. And of course a lot of Twitter fans and people on other forums have also brought up the possibility of Ash having three main rivals in Galar, but I'm not going to quote every single one.

Oh gee let me see:

Nothing against this person's post, but this is a prime example of what I meant. And of course a lot of Twitter fans and people on other forums have also brought up the possibility of Ash having three main rivals in Galar, but I'm not going to quote every single one.
Single person said something.
"The fact that y'all actually expect Hop, Bede and Marnie to be Ash's rivals is cute. "

interesting...

The more I hear about Galar, the more excited I become

Really hope its on the battle heavy side as the games imply

I had someone point out recently that the anime tends to react to major changes by swinging back, and I suspect that SM will have a swing back. At the very least I am fairly certain with YKW on the decline they'll have less pressure to be YKW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom