• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I consider DP to be more serious and darker than XY. Also many of those arguments don't even make sense. Pokemon looks goofy? Can be said about pretty much any generation. Milo and Allister look more funny? Well Korrina and Clemont did also. Team Yell are indead more goofier than Team Flare, but XY's rivals were instead the goofy ones while the SS rivals are the more serious ones and speaking of them, they also seem to be more "darker" than regular rivals. And Pokemon growing bigger...I don't know what you even mean with that.

Agreed.

XY wasn't really all that dark and serious. DP had several storylines that were darker/more serious IMO (Hunter J, Paul, Team Galactic). I think some confuse dark and serious with being overdramatic, the latter which was a problem in XY IMO and I hope they don't make that mistake again.

Agreed.

XY wasn't really all that dark and serious. DP had several storylines that were darker/more serious IMO (Hunter J, Paul, Team Galactic). I think some confuse dark and serious with being overdramatic, the latter which was a problem in XY IMO and I hope they don't make that mistake again.
It would make an interesting twist if J does return in Galar. I can imagine Ash's and everyone's expressions to see her alive in the first return episode, where J would explain to Ash of how she survived and came to Galar from Sinnoh. I could also see her becoming once again a threat but hopefully a more deserving defeat.

If not, then perhaps another threatening foe.

It's known that Shigeru Ohmori (director of the Sun & Moon games) helped out a lot with the Sun & Moon anime's production and that Nintendo has had a tighter leash on the anime as of late.

Ohmori is also the director of Sword & Shield, so I'm wondering if the more direct involvement from the people behind the games will continue in the Sword and Shield series.

It would make an interesting twist if J does return in Galar. I can imagine Ash's and everyone's expressions to see her alive in the first return episode, where J would explain to Ash of how she survived and came to Galar from Sinnoh. I could also see her becoming once again a threat but hopefully a more deserving defeat.

If not, then perhaps another threatening foe.

Dark is probably the wrong world, though I do appreciate the way Ash was depicted in XY over DP, which I never quite liked. That being said, there are things to learn from all Ash regenerations (For lack of a better way to put it.)

....Note to self, might be worth comming an image of Ash regenerating a la D.W after the current image idea of 'Goku is confused by the Ash hate'.

Can you explain what you mean by that?
look at the posts before that one.
It's just the way the rivals have these unique personalities. Bede being a jerk and Marnie being calm and calculative

It's known that Shigeru Ohmori (director of the Sun & Moon games) helped out a lot with the Sun & Moon anime's production and that Nintendo has had a tighter leash on the anime as of late.

Ohmori is also the director of Sword & Shield, so I'm wondering if the more direct involvement from the director and publisher will continue in the Sword and Shield series.

We are in these PC times now. This isn't like the 2000s with DP. I'd expect there will be some toned downness as these generations progress.

Dark is probably the wrong world, though I do appreciate the way Ash was depicted in XY over DP, which I never quite liked. That being said, there are things to learn from all Ash regenerations (For lack of a better way to put it.)

....Note to self, might be worth comming an image of Ash regenerating a la D.W after the current image idea of 'Goku is confused by the Ash hate'.

Can you please help me to understand the last bit.

Late to the new info, but I hope this Marnie becomes a serious rival to Ash throughout the entire series. I've always really wanted Ash to have a main rival be a girl. I hope they aren't super friendly and that she is competent (unlike Bianca)/hopefully as good as or better than Ash. It would be a good fit since she will use the Pika-clone, plus that team yell really makes me think of Gary's cheerleaders.

You know guys, with all these new information we get with the new upcoming games, it is for me more harder to believe that the next anime will take itself seriously again like it did in X&Y.
I don't follow. SM games had a very dark and serious storyline, which barely used in the show.

It's just the way the rivals have these unique personalities. Bede being a jerk and Marnie being calm and calculative

We are in these PC times now. This isn't like the 2000s with DP. I'd expect there will be some toned downness as these generations progress.

Can you please help me to understand the last bit.

Ash 'regenerating' is basically me making a joke about the reason Ash changes between regions is that he regenerates like The Doctor does.

The Goku thing is basically me quipping on how I recently commed for an image that is basically Goku looking at the anger at Ash's league performance and commenting confusion, as he doesn't get that and he has about the same win rate of tournaments as Ash does.

(In DB Goku lost the first two World Tourns he entered to Roshi and Tien and the one he won had him blow the entire place up. He didn't win the one in the Buu Arc or the Cell Games, and he was Ko'd in the Super tournies he entered. Basically the image is meant to call attention to this little fact.)

Ash 'regenerating' is basically me making a joke about the reason Ash changes between regions is that he regenerates like The Doctor does.

The Goku thing is basically me quipping on how I recently commed for an image that is basically Goku looking at the anger at Ash's league performance and commenting confusion, as he doesn't get that and he has about the same win rate of tournaments as Ash does.

(In DB Goku lost the first two World Tourns he entered to Roshi and Tien and the one he won had him blow the entire place up. He didn't win the one in the Buu Arc or the Cell Games, and he was Ko'd in the Super tournies he entered. Basically the image is meant to call attention to this little fact.)
Well it looks as if Ash will probably win this one. The crew did tease the viewers by making you think Rowlet had lost when it was actually asleep.

Well it looks as if Ash will probably win this one. The crew did tease the viewers by making you think Rowlet had lost when it was actually asleep.

....He's likely to do that because it would anger people and make the fanbase even more toxic.

At this point I'm just waiting for the next level of fan fury....the evolution of this from Super Anger to Super Anger 2 to continue the DB joke. Perhaps a leaked Masuda email where he insults the fans or something....

How is that related to what you said? Both Alain and Sawyer can be calm and calculative in their battles.
We are in these PC times now. This isn't like the 2000s
Like what? Compared to DP, what can they tone down due to "PC-ness?"

How is that related to what you said? Both Alain and Sawyer were calm and calculative in their battles.

Like what? Compared to DP, what can they tone down due to "PC-ness?"
Marnie is. Bede is probably going to be the smug jerk.

I don't know forsay with the PC, we'll just have to wait until the anime comes out in November.

Yeah, I don't get the "PC" argument.

DP was pretty tone down (humor and tone was not all that different from the later series). On the other hand, Kanto had some moments that wouldn't fly today (honestly, it didn't really fly back then seeing how the dub edited out).

Yeah, I don't get the "PC" argument.

DP was pretty tone down (humor and tone was not all that different from the later series). On the other hand, Kanto had some moments that wouldn't fly today (honestly, it didn't really fly back then seeing how the dub edited out).

....Given the Suede reviews, we could probably list all of them if we wanted to. Though I do agree that the humor is improved in several places in doing so in the dub.

See 'Kangaskhan Kid'.

I want Bede to be another Paul, being a jerk all around Ash and actually being super competent. Not as calm as him, but more aggressive. The calm and maybe unfriendly one should be Marnie and Hop fills in the role as another Barry/Hau.

Gloria as the main female character. I don't know if contest are returning in SS, but they sure do in the DP remakes, which will probably happen this geneneration, so she may do these.

Sonia and Magnolia shall appear whenever Dynamaxing/Gigantamaxing is a thing in the series.

I don't know about the male sidekick though.

You know guys, with all these new information we get with the new upcoming games, it is for me more harder to believe that the next anime will take itself seriously again like it did in X&Y.

1. The new gameplay gimmick lets the Pokemon grow bigger.
  2. A lot of the human characters like Milo and Allister have more funny looking designs.
  3. A lot of the Pokémon new and old look more laidback or funny. I mean, we have a Weezing with a top hat in this game.
  4. And then we have Team Yell who are a group of hooligans.
I don't think we will go back to the more serious tone back that X&Y had. I think the max. would be the tone of AG and D&P.

None of these points really make any sense to me. The new gimmick of making Pokemon grow bigger doesn't give off the impression that it's going to be used as a joke. They certainly can, but the concept itself doesn't really sound that ridiculous or silly. The gameplay footage give off the impression that it's going to be treated more seriously in the games, especially with Max Raid Battles. Pokemon and human characters having silly designs isn't really new either. There are plenty of characters with ridiculous designs/outfits and Pokemon with weird designs in every generation. Team Yell look and sound more like overly excited/toxic sports fans rather than hooligans to me. Team Skull were much more blatantly ridiculous and that was part of the appeal for the group in the first place.

It's also just a strange claim to make considering that the anime always does its own take on the storyline and characters. Sun/Moon had a pretty serious storyline, but SM doesn't really cover much of that. SM certainly does have some serious moments and episodes, but it's generally a light hearted slice of life kind of series. Lillie's characterization and storyline are so drastically different from how she is in the games. That is one of the major reasons why I hate it when they use the whole Z-Powered form outfit. That has meaning for video game Lillie, but since SM Lillie didn't have to deal with an abusive mother who prevented her from even choosing her own clothes to wear, it always came off as just hallow fanservice to me. The anime will go into whatever direction it wants to go with the new cast and characters, regardless of whether or not it matches with the tone of the games. Judging the pre-release information of the games to claim what tone the anime will take just really doesn't work for multiple reasons.

Besides all that, I don't think that XY was really that serious. I think fans tend to get that impression due to the Kalos League, Team Flare arc and its aftermath making up for its last year, but XY wasn't really that serious. I also think that DP had a more serious tone, as well as some darker aspects in it, compared to XY. Aside from the Team Flare arc, I don't think that XY has a lot that would make it more serious than DP. A tone like DP or even AG would still be good, especially if that makes it more likely for the next series to have good battles, but it still really doesn't make any sense to come to that conclusion based on what we know about the games.

As for Bede, I don't want him to be another Gary or Paul. I wouldn't mind a more confrontational rival for Ash. I still think that the concept of jerk rivals is overrated for multiple reasons, but having a different kind of main rival would be refreshing. I would like to see Ash get a proper rival fairly early in the series again. He doesn't really have a proper rival in SM, while he met most of his key rivals way too late in XY. I'd honestly prefer for Marnie to be Ash's main rival instead, but I'll be happy if she is at least shown as a good competent trainer who isn't just another BW Bianca.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom