• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm late to the party, but the very thought of Ash finally having a female rival excites me sooo much. I was expecting Marnie to look totally different (far more preppy/girly is what I was imagining) but I think her design is super cool and she seems like she's going to be a pretty interesting character game-wise, so I really, really hope that's something that gets carried over to the anime.

When I first watched the trailer, I thought Bede was an old lady. I truly thought "oh wow, they're giving us a senior citizen as a rival, that's...different." Yeah. Once I realized he was a dude though, his design started to grow on me. And he also sounds interesting. Now I'm really hoping even more that the writers put more effort into the rivalries this series. It looks like there's a lot of potential for Ash to have multiple, interesting, formidable rivals.

I know some people are fussed about Team Yell, but they make me laugh. There's something very funny about a group of severely annoying sports fans popping up out of nowhere to be straight up obnoxious. I maintain that they're not gonna be the big bads (which, if this ends up being true, is the one thing I'm a little disappointed with, since they literally just pulled a similar thing with SM) so I'm on board with them showing up in the anime just to get on Ash's nerves. I'm just imagining them screaming during a battle and messing him up, and it's honestly pretty funny (I adore Ash, but I also adore any and all opportunities for him to show a full range of personality, and frustration is always a fun one!)

The new Galarian forms are cool too. I would not be against Ash or another main character having a Galarian Zigzagoon...its KISS appearance is awesome.

If Marnie is Ash's main rival, I just hope they don't go the tsundere route, which is played out IMO.

I have a theory. Just hear me out on this one.

I think Ash is going to win the League this time around.
Here's why. We know from the leaks that Leon--the Pokémon League Champion who has a Charizard--is most likely the villain. That means, inevitably, Ash will have to battle and defeat him. In other words, Ash would have to defeat the Champion of the Galar League. If he does that, then he will have become a Champion himself for, presumably, the first time in the entire anime (not counting the Orange Islands).

Last edited:
Possible Japanese voice actors for Gym Leaders:

Milo: Yuji Uekawa
Nessia: MAO
Bea: Fumie Mizusawa
Allister: Tomoko Akiya

THIS.

Marnie could very well end up being the Rika from Pokemon in both the games as well as in the anime. I at least get the same vibes from her when I watch the trailer.

...Is she one of the Digimon female characters whose personality changes as she grew up angered the Digi-fanbase immensely?

Odd how that is my first question.

...Is she one of the Digimon female characters whose personality changes as she grew up angered the Digi-fanbase immensely?

Odd how that is my first question.

She's the one who refused to work together with the other two main characters, but slowly opens up to them and their family and became more friendly.

She's the one who refused to work together with the other two main characters, but slowly opens up to them and their family and became more friendly.

Just checking, Digimon is not a franchise I ever saw growing up.

(Ironic, now that I am sort of thinking of 'how would an Isekai Mon story, as opposed to Isekai Dragon Queest story, would work.)

Just checking, Digimon is not a franchise I ever saw growing up.

(Ironic, now that I am sort of thinking of 'how would an Isekai Mon story, as opposed to Isekai Dragon Queest story, would work.)

Your description also fits her. You probably already know her.

Your description also fits her. You probably already know her.

I know a few things about Digi Frontier from reviewers, but that is about it. I couldn't tell you plot details, but I could mention somthing about a hitchhik dub edited to a relative, a little sister incest craving, the fact the Madoka did it, and that the girl we are talking about (not the incest sister a decade or so before that became a thing in anime)'s mom was age 18 when she was born.

...Around the same age as Delia was given when she had Ash, oddly enough.

In terms of the rivals, I sure as heck hope they debut them early if they all will be Ash's rivals. As much as I dislike BW, they gave Ash multiple rivals and introduced them all relatively early (except Cameron). DP should have introduced Barry much earlier imo, and same with Sawyer in XY (tho I get that he also existed for ORAS promos so the timing was kinda linked), and Hau in SuMo.

If SwSh anime will follow the games plot, I'd like to see everyone introduced where they are in the games, if not earlier. No more Barry/Hau situations where the rival you meet after a minute in the games is introduced damn near 100 episodes into the show. IMO Hop should definitely be introduced in the first 5 episodes (honestly I think it should be episode 1 or 2). Wherever Bede and Marnie are first seen in the games, I hope we see them at that point the show. Even if they pull a Paul and add some brand new character for Ash's rival, (though I personally hope they won't because I'd like the focus to be on Hop, Bede, and Marnie), I still say there's no reason to wait nearly 100 episodes to introduce someone meant to be Ash's rival.

I find it highly unlikely that they'll introduce all Rivals early like they did in BW. The only reason they did that in BW is because of the League taking place earlier. I do find it likely that Hop will be introduced early. I think the Anime has good opportunity to make comedy with the Dynamax Feature, which I can already imagine a filler with. I don't know which approach the Anime will take but I definitely don't see it as serious as DP or even XY for that matter because I find it impossible for Fujisaku or any of the current staff ( maybe not Matsui or Tomioka ) to write an Ash vs Paul Type of Battle or another Team Flare Arc. Or even if Tomioka or Matsui are capable, I don't see them taking that route. I don't see them also going full-out comedic like they did with SM nor I can see them doing a mix. I do see them leaning towards comedy and also bringing out intensity during battles which too I find impossible with Fujisaku in the staff. I just hope they stick to what they're good at otherwise it'll end up with a BW.

In terms of the rivals, I sure as heck hope they debut them early if they all will be Ash's rivals. As much as I dislike BW, they gave Ash multiple rivals and introduced them all relatively early (except Cameron). DP should have introduced Barry much earlier imo, and same with Sawyer in XY (tho I get that he also existed for ORAS promos so the timing was kinda linked), and Hau in SuMo.

I didn't have too much of a problem with Barry taking so long to appear. It was a strange choice, but he still got a pretty good amount of screentime during the rest of the series and was handled pretty well despite how long it took for him to debut in DP. As much as I wish Sawyer was introduced much earlier in XY, it definitely would have been difficult to pull off given that he existed for OR/AS promotion. I have no idea why they wasted Hau though. They also took their sweet time in having him debut in the anime, but unlike with Barry, Hau didn't get nearly enough screentime and attention to make up for that.

Sakuraa said:
If SwSh anime will follow the games plot, I'd like to see everyone introduced where they are in the games, if not earlier. No more Barry/Hau situations where the rival you meet after a minute in the games is introduced damn near 100 episodes into the show. IMO Hop should definitely be introduced in the first 5 episodes (honestly I think it should be episode 1 or 2). Wherever Bede and Marnie are first seen in the games, I hope we see them at that point the show. Even if they pull a Paul and add some brand new character for Ash's rival, (though I personally hope they won't because I'd like the focus to be on Hop, Bede, and Marnie), I still say there's no reason to wait nearly 100 episodes to introduce someone meant to be Ash's rival.

I don't think I'd want to see them create an anime exclusive rival again. It worked wonderfully with Paul and Sawyer was still Trip done better, despite my own issues with that rivalry, but it would seem like such a waste to not use one of the three rivals that could better promote the games as Ash's main rival. I definitely would want them to be introduced as soon as possible.

I find it highly unlikely that they'll introduce all Rivals early like they did in BW. The only reason they did that in BW is because of the League taking place earlier. I do find it likely that Hop will be introduced early. I think the Anime has good opportunity to make comedy with the Dynamax Feature, which I can already imagine a filler with. I don't know which approach the Anime will take but I definitely don't see it as serious as DP or even XY for that matter because I find it impossible for Fujisaku or any of the current staff ( maybe not Matsui or Tomioka ) to write an Ash vs Paul Type of Battle or another Team Flare Arc. Or even if Tomioka or Matsui are capable, I don't see them taking that route. I don't see them also going full-out comedic like they did with SM nor I can see them doing a mix. I do see them leaning towards comedy and also bringing out intensity during battles which too I find impossible with Fujisaku in the staff. I just hope they stick to what they're good at otherwise it'll end up with a BW.

I think it's pretty unbelievable that they already knew when the Unova League would take place so early in the series. I'm not sure if they plan out that far in advance, especially when plans can easily change depending on what they have to promote. Not to mention few of the rivals were even relevant in the Unova League. Trip himself was defeated in the first round and his rivalry with Ash didn't have any weight to it, so I can't see that was the reason why they introduced the rivals so early. Plus, Paul was introduced pretty early on in DP, so it wasn't something exclusive to BW.

Judging the tone of the next series based on the current staff makes a bit more sense, but it still might be assuming too much. The SWSH series hasn't even been announced yet, so it's just hard to claim with any certainty on its tone eithr way.

Cynthias Garchomp vs a Galar Weezing.
Or Ash calls his small dragon/ground pokemon for Galar or Galar league too.
This will be great.

Hope we get situations with Morpeko where it battles a flying/psychic pokemon and switching allows it to hit but also use immunity

I could say that the low rating is similar to Legend of Korra and other TV shows since nowadays people prefer watching them online instead of on the TV. The crew making the show don't realise that the days of TV is on i's last legs and are trying hard to keep it afloat.

Either sometime this month or September we will get some info for the Sword and Shield anime.

They'll also show Marnie and Bede early in the anime, whilst Hop will not appear until much later.

People are watching the series online now so that would explain the ratings.

I'm actually curious how companies react to these number changes. I know Marvel's at least commented on it and how it affects certain comics particularly seriously (Several comics cancelled were revived because of digital and trade sales were looked at again, for example).

They surely do notice them....though I suppose the question is 'if we end up with a Nintendo streaming service headlined by Pokemon Gen....9 or 10, does it change as a resullt'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom