• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't understand why people still care about ratings that much, especially for a series like Pokemon. I think that you can make a good argument that ratings in general don't really matter for most shows given that it's such an outdated means of gathering information about a series, but it really doesn't matter for a toyetic series like Pokemon. The anime exists to promote the games and more merchandise. Ratings really don't matter for its success and I think fans, for a lot of shows and not just Pokemon, are too obsessed with ratings data.

Wow the recent SM ratings are just horrible
It didn't have a significant drop in viewership until the time slot change, though. Back when the show was airing on Thursdays it didn't have any strong competitors, but now it has to fight for attention with Chibi Maruko-Chan, one of the top 3 most viewed animated shows in Japan, on the exact same time slot.

What if in the first two parter of SwSh on 17th November 2019 we get to see Pokemon Hunter J again, as it would be 10 years since her supposed end in ''The Need of Three!'', which aired 12th November 2009. She would be more of a threat to Ash and his friends throughout Galar.

What if in the first two parter of SwSh on 17th November 2019 we get to see Pokemon Hunter J again, as it would be 10 years since her supposed end in ''The Need of Three!'', which aired 12th November 2009. She would be more of a threat to Ash and his friends throughout Galar.
Why though? Why would she show up? It wasn't Ash who sunk her. If I recall correctly, it was Team Galactic that sank her. She really has no reason to show up. Plus, how would she know where Ash is? Ash has gone through 2 regions (about to finish a third) at this point. The only person who knows Ash had left would be Dawn's mom, but even then, SHE doesn't know where Ash is now. For all she knows, Ash is still at home.

Last edited:
Why though? Why would she show up? It wasn't Ash who sunk her. If I recall correctly, it was Team Galactic that sank her. She really has no reason to show up. Plus, how would she no where Ash is? Ash has gone through 2 regions (about to finish a third) at this point. The only person who knows Ash had left would be Dawn's mom, but even then, SHE doesn't know where Ash is now. For all she knows, Ash is still at home.
J will probably be shocked and frustrated to see Ash in Galar, and Ash would've probably heard of what happened at Lake Valor from Gary. He would want to know how she survived, to which she would explain to him of how. She would've thought until the events of SwSh, by moving business from Sinnoh to Galar, she would have no one interfering with her operations. Not even from Ash.

Hunter J is dead.

Image result for let it go gif

Hunter J is dead.

Image result for let it go gif
What makes us sure that she is. All we got is her screaming with the Henchmen ''Oh No!!!'' when the glass broke, and as the vessel sank you saw her goggles. Unless they're trying to cover up the gruesome death, there still could be a chance that she might've survive somehow.

If not, then perhaps what's coming in the thumb below will fill in that void. ;)

What makes us sure that she is. All we got is her screaming with the Henchmen ''Oh No!!!'' when the glass broke, and as the vessel sank you saw her goggles. Unless they're trying to cover up the gruesome death, there still could be a chance that she might've survive somehow.
Ok, you do have a point. We don't know if she is alive. Assuming that she IS alive, why would she go to Galar?

They were definitely trying to cover up her gruesome death. They weren't going to show Hunter J or her henchmen drowning or dying from an underwater explosion. Seeing her goggles was a way to indicate to the audience that she was dead. They aren't going to show a dead human body in a show like Pokemon. Besides that, she didn't have a lot of time to escape before the Future Sight hit the ship, so she couldn't have escaped.

Even if she did manage to survive somehow, there is no reason she'd go to Galar. It would make much more sense to just introduce a new Pokemon Hunter instead of bringing Hunter J back somehow after having her disappear for nearly three whole series. Killing her off was probably the most fitting way to write her out of DP. Having her just be arrested after all of her buildup throughout the series would have felt too anticlimactic and she was too powerful for any of the heroes to believably defeat her.

They were definitely trying to cover up her gruesome death. They weren't going to show Hunter J or her henchmen drowning or dying from an underwater explosion. Seeing her goggles was a way to indicate to the audience that she was dead. They aren't going to show a dead human body in a show like Pokemon. Besides that, she didn't have a lot of time to escape before the Future Sight hit the ship, so she couldn't have escaped.

Even if she did manage to survive somehow, there is no reason she'd go to Galar. It would make much more sense to just introduce a new Pokemon Hunter instead of bringing Hunter J back somehow after having her disappear for nearly three whole series. Killing her off was probably the most fitting way to write her out of DP. Having her just be arrested after all of her buildup throughout the series would have felt too anticlimactic and she was too powerful for any of the heroes to believably defeat her.
I do agree with this.

Then why don't you put down in her Bulbapedia page that she had met her demise. Because it does seem to look as if her fate is unknown.

For me, I'm hard at work on a Fanzine since April to practice character and story development. It will be about J. Hence the thumb below. I'm hoping that it will come out on the 12th November 2019.

It seems like an Animator for Pokemon since the Best Wishes Series Tweeted some interesting things last night. In the First Tweet he says, "Can I live after Sun and Moon is over? It's very tough but there aren't many fun jobs like this." He then goes on making a thread saying he wants to talk to Sun and Moon Lovers all over Twitter and says he is happy to be apart of the staff that worked on the series. Then he goes on to talk about Sword and Shield and says "If Sword and Shield are not accepted now if it's so ugly, you may not accept it now, but you may accept it later, each person has their own pace"... There are more tweets where he says it would be interesting to watch the First Episode after the last and note the differences in Character and Voice Actors and also the style of drawing in Sun & Moon. These 4 are the important ones.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/takashi11290141/status/1159462853616627713

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/takashi11290141/status/1159463692548755456

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/takashi11290141/status/1159464633536614400

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/takashi11290141/status/1159465140279840769

and says he is happy to be apart of the staff that worked on the series.

Apart or a part? Because if it's really the former, then it sounds like he's happy that he's not involved with the staff anymore and I don't blame him.

Last edited:
Then he goes on to talk about Sword and Shield and says "If Sword and Shield are not accepted now if it's so ugly, you may not accept it now, but you may accept it later, each person has their own pace"... There are more tweets where he says it would be interesting to watch the First Episode after the last and note the differences in Character and Voice Actors and also the style of drawing in Sun & Moon.

I don’t understand...is he saying SwSh might be controversial or is he taking about SM? This reads like a Google Translate job, is there a legit translation of these tweets?

Then why don't you put down in her Bulbapedia page that she had met her demise. Because it does seem to look as if her fate is unknown.

Because I'm not part of the staff that handles the Bulbapedia entries. Her fate isn't so much unknown as it is just left unspoken. They don't specifically say that Hunter J is dead, despite how extremely obvious that she is. They kind of let the scene speak for itself. There's obviously nothing wrong with making your own story about Hunter J. I just don't think that there would be a good in-universe explanation for why Hunter J survived and why she's suddenly in the Galar region. They'd be better off with just making a new character to fit Hunter J's role instead.

Apart or a part? Because if it's really the former, then it sounds like he's happy that he's not involved with the staff anymore and I don't blame him.
He's also great friends with Iwane on Twitter and makes drawings about the Current Series everyday so I don't think it's that he has any problems.
I don’t understand...is he saying SwSh might be controversial or is he taking about SM? This reads like a Google Translate job, is there a legit translation of these tweets?
He talks about SM ending and then goes on to talk about the Next Series and says indirectly like he is aware of what happened the last time a series underwent transition and says "If you accept SwSh that's fine, if you don't then take your time, everyone has their pacing." What I make from this is that the next series is going to be controversial as SM. I did translate this with Google Translate but I will clarify with the japanese on Twitter.

I really don't understand why people still care about ratings that much, especially for a series like Pokemon. I think that you can make a good argument that ratings in general don't really matter for most shows given that it's such an outdated means of gathering information about a series, but it really doesn't matter for a toyetic series like Pokemon. The anime exists to promote the games and more merchandise. Ratings really don't matter for its success and I think fans, for a lot of shows and not just Pokemon, are too obsessed with ratings data.

If I might add to this, a better way to gauge the Pokemon anime's success is from TVTokyo's financial reports. Despite never making the list for highest anime sales, Pokemon has consistently ranked third in gross profits among anime that air on TVTokyo. If we want to determine whether the timeslot change has affected profit margins for TVTokyo, we will have to wait till the next financial report in November to see if there are any changes in ranking.

Translation thanks to @101ShinKing on Twitter ( Check him out, he's a cool dude ).

Tweet 1: He's thanking everyone for his support and he's basically saying that he's gonna miss sun and moon and is gonna feel sad that it's almost ending. Also the fact that there isn't alot of jobs as fun as these ones.

Tweet 2: He basically said that even if the end is near the daily lives of the sun and moon cast will continue. Finding it interesting to think about what they are doing right now. Imagining it, write about it, draw about it. Talk to sun and moon fans on Twitter.

As for the sword and shield related tweet: he's basically that if you can't accept sword and shield than just don't accept is a idea too. He's also saying that if you can't accept it now you will accept it one day. But it doesn't have to be now

Back to sm: He's saying that when it final episode airs he says you can also watch from episode 1 cause it's fun see the different changes over the course of the series Voice actors, characters etc.

Last Tweet: He's saying that not everyone has to accept a new series immediately each person has their own pace, and that there is various things to enjoy from episode 1. He's also saying at the end to please enjoy sun and moon till the end.

Translation Finished.

Sword and Shield will be controversial? That could mean a lot. Maybe they change art style yet again, or they might work on a different story structure that is different from the other series, or maybe... they will replace Ash as the main protagonist? It could be anything. I just wait. I was also a bit unsure about S&M and it turned out to be for me my third most enjoyable series from this franchise. Here my personal rankings.

1. Original Series
  2. Diamond and Pearl
  3. Sun and Moon
  4. Advanced Generation
  5. Best Wishes
  6. X&Y
We will see, where S&S will end up. I just hope it is just as good as the first 3 series on my list. Advanced Generation felt for me always like an experimental series, Best Wishes is just... meh in terms of everything, and X&Y had just a way to much cliché drama.

Last edited:
The way he says "If you accept SwSh or Not" is either just plain trolling and having fun with us or is that SwSh formula could be different like SM's or there is something else. Arceus help us. Either way we'll figure out in September.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom