• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way he says "If you accept SwSh or Not" is either just plain trolling and having fun with us or is that SwSh formula could be different like SM's or there is something else. Arceus help us. Either way we'll figure out in September.
Some speculate that the SWSH animation would be similar to the Pokemon Masters trailer, which I wouldn't mind with. However it remains to be seen.

It sounds to me like the animator is upset to say goodbye to such a nice change of pace as SM before changing formula to something that might raise red flags to some people. Please give SwSh some credit.

Because I'm not part of the staff that handles the Bulbapedia entries. Her fate isn't so much unknown as it is just left unspoken. They don't specifically say that Hunter J is dead, despite how extremely obvious that she is. They kind of let the scene speak for itself. There's obviously nothing wrong with making your own story about Hunter J. I just don't think that there would be a good in-universe explanation for why Hunter J survived and why she's suddenly in the Galar region. They'd be better off with just making a new character to fit Hunter J's role instead.

How can I contact the staff on the Bulbapedia entries?

Sword and Shield will be controversial? That could mean a lot. Maybe they change art style yet again, or they might work on a different story structure that is different from the other series, or maybe... they will replace Ash as the main protagonist? It could be anything. I just wait. I was also a bit unsure about S&M and it turned out to be for me my third most enjoyable series from this franchise. Here my personal rankings.

1. Original Series
  2. Diamond and Pearl
  3. Sun and Moon
  4. Advanced Generation
  5. Best Wishes
  6. X&Y
We will see, where S&S will end up. I just hope it is just as good as the first 3 series on my list. Advanced Generation felt for me always like an experimental series, Best Wishes is just... meh in terms of everything, and X&Y had just a way to much cliché drama.
im gonna be honest I don't see them replacing ash

Some speculate that the SWSH animation would be similar to the Pokemon Masters trailer, which I wouldn't mind with. However it remains to be seen.

It sounds to me like the animator is upset to say goodbye to such a nice change of pace as SM before changing formula to something that might raise red flags to some people. Please give SwSh some credit.

How can I contact the staff on the Bulbapedia entries?

I don't think "animation" is really the thing I'm worried about. I'm personally don't see the Art Style Changing. I see it similar to the BW-XY Transition. BW having a more of a different design compared to previous series and XY building up on that BW Design, I see the same thing happening for SwSh, building up on the SM Design either giving us an M21 Like Design or just more like SM. Animation isn't a thing to worry about since it improves every series. I'm more worried about the Story/Plot, Will there be a large cast like SM? Will they change a few of the character's backstories? Will they continue breaking trends like they've started in XY and continued in SM? Will they make Ash win in Galar, since he wins in SM, him losing would clearly show him regressing. There are plenty of more things that show concern other than the Animation in my opinion.

Back to sm: He's saying that when it final episode airs he says you can also watch from episode 1 cause it's fun see the different changes over the course of the series Voice actors, characters etc.

So this sounds to me like it's relating to Sword and Shield that this is going to be a transition end where Ash ends SM by heading off to Galar, and with the first episode of SWSH Ash arriving at Galar. Could this mean that November 17th will be the last SM episode (SM148) as well as the first (SWSH001)?

Either that, or yet another self containing episode like the end of DP and XY.

I don't think "animation" is really the thing I'm worried about. I'm personally don't see the Art Style Changing. I see it similar to the BW-XY Transition. BW having a more of a different design compared to previous series and XY building up on that BW Design, I see the same thing happening for SwSh, building up on the SM Design either giving us an M21 Like Design or just more like SM. Animation isn't a thing to worry about since it improves every series. I'm more worried about the Story/Plot, Will there be a large cast like SM? Will they change a few of the character's backstories? Will they continue breaking trends like they've started in XY and continued in SM? Will they make Ash win in Galar, since he wins in SM, him losing would clearly show him regressing. There are plenty of more things that show concern other than the Animation in my opinion.

Those are some very good points. I just hope the series is good, that's all. It would probably be a modified SM animation, but with less slice of life and more back to basics.

So this sounds to me like it's relating to Sword and Shield that this is going to be a transition end where Ash ends SM by heading off to Galar, and with the first episode of SWSH Ash arriving at Galar. Could this mean that November 17th will be the last SM episode (SM148) as well as the first (SWSH001)?

Either that, or yet another self containing episode like the end of DP and XY.

He means things like the Art Style, the maturity in some voices throughout the 3 Years. The Designs like Ash's have clearly changed slowly throughout the series if you've noticed. Some Designs like Mallow's have also shown some growth. Like 1st Picture is early SM and 2nd Picture is Current SM.

This is nothing new of course, this happened in XY as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-10 at 4.40.51 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-10 at 4.40.51 PM.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot 2019-08-10 at 4.39.58 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-10 at 4.39.58 PM.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 75
He means things like the Art Style, the maturity in some voices throughout the 3 Years. The Designs like Ash's have clearly changed slowly throughout the series if you've noticed. Some Designs like Mallow's have also shown some growth. Like 1st Picture is early SM and 2nd Picture is Current SM.

This is nothing new of course, this happened in XY as well.
So will it end on a cliffhanger, or will it be self contained?

I mean we have the long Japanese Arc from OS to DP, and the International Arc from BW to XY.

Yet it seems like they're trying to change things after XY didn't do well in Japan.

The only thing I don't want to happen to SwSh is to it starting off with a Ten Year Old waking up in the morning. That is way way overdone in this series. The Perfect Way to start it off would be Ash arriving in Galar and battling an unknown Trainer with Pikachu, then after he beats the trainer, they can have a humorous flashback ( like they did in SM ) to show off why he's their in the first place. That would indirectly tell the viewer, that this series will be more focused on Battles and at the same time there will also be comedy. Then they can show the Female Companion leaving her house and all that etc...

I really hope they do, this looks downright gorgeous. I was pissed that SM brought back those ugly stock backgrounds during battles.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LYyycD0YPA

Tbh while rewatching it now, It really doesn't look that impressive. Only the Scene before the Title is shown looks impressive tbh. The rest looks normal for a 4 Minute Trailer. The Battle Animation looks pretty poorly animated, scene itself looks rushedly drawn ( just look at Barry at 2:45 - 2:50 ) Other than that really nothing stands out other than the horrible shaded Artstyle in which SM does the shading much, much better imo.

Attachments

• tumblr_inline_p8j8y8pZzq1ugmi1y_1280.jpeg
    tumblr_inline_p8j8y8pZzq1ugmi1y_1280.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot 2019-08-10 at 7.01.25 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-10 at 7.01.25 PM.png
    926.2 KB · Views: 61
Tbh while rewatching it now, It really doesn't look that impressive. Only the Scene before the Title is shown looks impressive tbh. The rest looks normal for a 4 Minute Trailer. The Battle Animation looks pretty poorly animated, scene itself looks rushedly drawn ( just look at Barry at 2:45 - 2:50 ) Other than that really nothing stands out other than the horrible shaded Artstyle in which SM does the shading much, much better imo.
SwSh will probably be an updated SM animation.

or maybe... they will replace Ash as the main protagonist?

That's not happening. Y'all love to say this every time a saga ends since as far back as I can remember (and my memory of this subject goes back all the way to the summer of 2006 when I first lurked around here), and you'd think that after being wrong so many times the pro-Ash replacement squad would've learned by now that he's not leaving.

That's not happening. Y'all love to say this every time a saga ends since as far back as I can remember (and my memory of this subject goes back all the way to the summer of 2006 when I first lurked around here), and you'd think that after being wrong so many times the pro-Ash replacement squad would've learned by now that he's not leaving.

I remember lurking around a different Pokemon forum many years ago and I saw people speculating if Ash could be replaced in early Johto. I don't remember the year, but it must have been around 2000 or 2001. The idea was that Ash could end up staying on Mt. Silver like Red does in G/S/C, so that was well before the Silver Conference was even brought up in the series. So the idea of Ash being replaced has been an extremely long and tiring point that comes up every few years. It happens like clockwork with every new generation, although I don't think that it has come up as often for SWSH speculation compared to previous series oddly enough. I can understand why people like the idea of getting a new lead character, but it just isn't going to happen for many reasons. That ship sailed away forever ago.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I would love if they end the anime with SM and just do yearly movies. That of it we need an anime just go all out and make it feel like an actually story driven series. It has bugged me how the anime is pretty episodic yet they could do plot if they wanted to do it. Lots of other game driven anime do it so really Pokemon has no real excuse.

If SwSh is changing up the formula in some way, I hope it'll be that Ash won't travel with a gym leader :giggle:
Better yet ditch Ash :)
Just give the generational Pikachu to the girl and call it a series

Hop's really creepy-looking though imo. His arms are really long and because he's related to Leon, we'd probably see him a lot as well and I'm not looking forward to that since he's got that holier-than-thou 'look at me I'm a king' vibe going on.

I mean, Cilan had weird eyes but that didn't stop him being a traveling companion.

Personally I want Allister to be the male sidekick to Ash.

I mean, Cilan had weird eyes but that didn't stop him being a traveling companion.

Personally I want Allister to be the male sidekick to Ash.
So does Milo with the eyes compartment. For me I'm just hoping for Gloria or Bea to be Ash's Female Companion. Or they might try something new by giving Ash completely new companions that are Anime exclusives or something.

Yes, but in my mind weird arms are a bigger sin than weird eyes. And speaking of unnaturally creepy eyes, I'm warming up to the idea of Milo Yiannopoulos potentially being Ash's male buddy in ShSw. Don't @ me.

Yes, but in my mind weird arms are a bigger sin than weird eyes. And speaking of unnaturally creepy eyes, I'm warming up to the idea of Milo Yiannopoulos potentially being Ash's male buddy in ShSw. Don't @ me.
Somehow I feel the same way...

Ash, Gloria and Milo

Come down. It is just a theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom