• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would have made sense to speculate Satoshi leaving so many other times before now:
  • After Kanto/Orange Islands because of the Gen II games having a new protagonist
  • After Johto because it was the end of a series
  • After AG because the early promos for DP were so Hikari-focused we could actually imagine what a series without Satoshi would be
  • After DP because BW looked like the biggest departure of the anime yet
But now there’s no reason to really think it could happen other than “well, it’s not technically impossible”. If the staff didn’t feel the need to replace him during one of those points where it would have made much more sense, why now? What’s different about the show now vs three years ago?

Plus it’s been proven that Satoshi is really little more than a blank slate for the writers. Do they want an inexperienced rookie who doesn’t know how to catch a Pokémon and will lose to a low-powered Pokémon? Do they want a seasoned trainer that will act as a mentor figure to others? Do they want a goofy kid who’s on vacation? He can be any of those things, regardless of how he was in the preceding series. Plus since he’s been around since the very first episode he makes it much easier for the writers to throw in little nods to the past for nostalgia with flashbacks.

And if they did actually replace him, you can bet the new protagonist would have a very similar personality (determined, excited about Pokémon, optimistic, energetic, friendly) and would definitely have a Pikachu. They would inevitably be seen as a Satoshi 2.0, so why bother going to the trouble of creating a brand new character if they’ll just be the same as before?

The only way I could ever see Satoshi leaving is if Rica Matsumoto decided to retire or something. I don’t know enough about her or how the business works or what her contract dictates, but if she decided to leave the show I could definitely see them using a different protagonist. And while I don’t know for certain it seems like she is still having a blast playing the character so I don’t see her going anywhere anytime soon.

I can already see two scenarios the SwSh anime will go down...

Ash, Gloria and Milo (Would be similar to Gen 4's cast of Ash, Dawn and Brock,)

or

Ash, Bea and Milo (Would be trying to make it similar to Gen 1's cast of Ash, Misty and Brock for nostalgia. Not to mention Gen 5's cast of Ash, Iris and Cilan.)

With the former, they could meet in the middle between the two, as an equivalent of having Ash, Dawn and Cilan.

I'm not sure if the nostalgia pandering would work. They tried this with Iris and Cilan and they felt miserable. You can not really replace Misty and Brock. But besides gym leaders and playable trainers, there isn't much to pick from. Of course, you can also just invent a brand new character exclusively for the anime. They did this already with Tracey and Max if you want to count him.

But, I think at this point people just expect and want an already established character. S&S has some human characters, that are already popular. And neither the game or the anime is out already.

I'm not sure if the nostalgia pandering would work. They tried this with Iris and Cilan and they felt miserable. You can not really replace Misty and Brock. But besides gym leaders and playable trainers, there isn't much to pick from. Of course, you can also just invent a brand new character exclusively for the anime. They did this already with Tracey and Max if you want to count him.

But, I think at this point people just expect and want an already established character. S&S has some human characters, that are already popular. And neither the game or the anime is out already.
The problem to some is age. So far for the females we have either Gloria or Bea, whilst for the males it's Milo or Allister. However it's unknown until we have the poster in September to Sword and Shield.

• Gen 5 - Iris was known to be Ash's companion by a leaked character sheet. (Ash is with Iris and Cilan)
  • Gen 6 - Clemont is one of the earliest Gym Leaders showcased for the XY games so that can be guessed amongst the cast. (Ash with Serena, Clemont and Bonnie)
  • Gen 7 - Mallow was seen in the leaked Confidential sheet for Incineroar. (Ash with Mallow, Lillie, Lana, Kiawe and Sophocles)

Notice how this could happen for Sword and Shield?

So if we think about this here, then it's most likely that Ash would be with Gloria and Milo.

Last edited:
I can already see two scenarios the SwSh anime will go down...

Ash, Gloria and Milo (Would be similar to Gen 4's cast of Ash, Dawn and Brock,)

or

Ash, Bea and Milo (Would be trying to make it similar to Gen 1's cast of Ash, Misty and Brock for nostalgia. Not to mention Gen 5's cast of Ash, Iris and Cilan.)

With the former, they could meet in the middle between the two, as an equivalent of having Ash, Dawn and Cilan.

I think you are looking way too much into patterns.

I think you are looking way too much into patterns.
I'm just looking at what we have thus far, and for what the formula might take us. We might get something else, we just have to wait and see.
But then, we could get a Gym Leader who is from the London City who would be revealed in a trailer in early September.

Last edited:
The way he says "If you accept SwSh or Not" is either just plain trolling and having fun with us or is that SwSh formula could be different like SM's or there is something else. Arceus help us. Either way we'll figure out in September.

I hope he's not implying that most fans will dislike the Shield and Sword series because his comment isn't exactly a confidence booster if that's what he's trying to say.

I'm just looking at what we have thus far, and for what the formula might take us. We might get something else, we just have to wait and see.
But then, we could get a Gym Leader who is from the London City who would be revealed in a trailer in early September.

The only real set "formula" is Ash ditches his pokemon besides Pikachu at Oak's Lab and heads of to the next region. I think we overrate the "formulas", the writers tend to have a lot more free reign then we give them credit for.

I would prefer non-traditional companions. That's why I want Bea and Allister to be Ash's companions. They're so different from Ash's past companions and as a result they would stand out more.

I would prefer non-traditional companions. That's why I want Bea and Allister to be Ash's companions. They're so different from Ash's past companions and as a result they would stand out more.
One question remains however... Who is going to run their Gym? They both share the same Gym. Perhaps if there is another exclusive Gym, maybe the snowy town Gym with Ice or Dark. Then I could see them using one of the two from the Buxton Gym and the other of the two from the Liverpool Gym.

One question remains however... Who is going to run their Gym? They both share the same Gym. Perhaps if there is another exclusive Gym, maybe the snowy town Gym with Ice or Dark. Then I could see them using one of the two from the Buxton Gym and the other of the two from the Liverpool Gym.
I think that the other exclusives are Fire/Steel and Poison/Fairy, and they could choose who to battle or Ash would battle both at the same time.

Exactly what I think, with Bea and Allister, but I mainly want them as companions because of how different they are compared to who came before them. It would be exciting to see new types of characters.
And it looks as if SwSh will be like BW with companions since we have Iris who is White exclusive, and Cilan who only appears if you choose Oshawott.

Bea yes, Allister, no. Instead it would probably be someone from another Gym with exclusives to each region. It's a way of advertising and marketing the games.

It looks like it's going to be BW all over again.

And it looks as if SwSh will be like BW with companions since we have Iris who is White exclusive, and Cilan who only appears if you choose Oshawott.

Bea yes, Allister, no. Instead it would probably be someone from another Gym with exclusives to each region. It's a way of advertising and marketing the games.

It looks like it's going to be BW all over again.
I don't think that way. I don't believe in patterns. Also, there's no guarantee that the anime will be another BW.

I don't think that way. I don't believe in patterns. Also, there's no guarantee that the anime will be another BW.
Let's hope not.

All I'm saying is that one of the Gym Leaders will be Sword exclusive, whilst the other will be Shield exclusive.

I personally am hoping for Gloria or Bea. If we would find a companion, then we'd probably known them by now. Iris was leaked, so was Mallow, and Clemont is one of the early revealed Gym Leaders.

Translation thanks to @101ShinKing on Twitter ( Check him out, he's a cool dude ).

Tweet 1: He's thanking everyone for his support and he's basically saying that he's gonna miss sun and moon and is gonna feel sad that it's almost ending. Also the fact that there isn't alot of jobs as fun as these ones.

Tweet 2: He basically said that even if the end is near the daily lives of the sun and moon cast will continue. Finding it interesting to think about what they are doing right now. Imagining it, write about it, draw about it. Talk to sun and moon fans on Twitter.

As for the sword and shield related tweet: he's basically that if you can't accept sword and shield than just don't accept is a idea too. He's also saying that if you can't accept it now you will accept it one day. But it doesn't have to be now

Back to sm: He's saying that when it final episode airs he says you can also watch from episode 1 cause it's fun see the different changes over the course of the series Voice actors, characters etc.

Last Tweet: He's saying that not everyone has to accept a new series immediately each person has their own pace, and that there is various things to enjoy from episode 1. He's also saying at the end to please enjoy sun and moon till the end.

Translation Finished.

Don't know what to think about this.

There a 2 things I don't want for SWSH anime: 1. that the animation/artstyle is NOT CGI like last movie, I think I would drop the anime for good if they go that route and 2. it's NOT a reboot a la BW, that's all I ask for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom