• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd actually love for Marnie to be his companion. I always thought it'd be interesting to have two badge questers in the party. And with gyms being a HUGE thing in Galar, it seems possible.
Unfortunately, Marnie is a Rival who chooses to battle alone. Plus it doesn't help with Team Yell constantly perusing and cheering for her, so she's ticked off as unlikely.

Marnie would play off as a great rival for Ash along his journey, along with Bede.

Last edited:
When will the next corocoro come out in September? Perhaps that's when the SwSh teaser will be shown.

Although I might be concerned of the direction the new series may go according to the tweet this animator who worked on SM stated.

You talking about that one on how Sun and Moon fans might not like it?

....That just suggests a less slice of life take.

I personally can not see Marine been a companion either. Besides Gloria, the female avatar of the game, none of the female characters so far has the potential in becoming the new female lead of the S&S anime. The anime kinda has a template for their female characters when it comes to their design, age and image.

1. Age and height: All of them (with the exception Bonnie) are so far designed as teenagers who have almost the same age height as Ash. Some of them can be a bit taller like Misty and Mallow, but only a few inches.

2. Image: All of them are pretty "girly". Which is not a bad thing, but the anime really never experimented with a really badass girl so far or general an image besides "the girly one". The closest one we got for been a badass, tomboyish trainer is actually Iris, but even she didn't really get much focus on that side. All of the other ones fall in that category. Misty acted most of the time very feminine in her time in the anime, she was never really portraited as a tomboy (which is a common mistake by many fans, since she has the title "Tomboyish Mermaid" in the games, so people automatically see her also as one in the anime). Misty became a badass trainer in the end, but her journey to that happen off-screen, so I can not really count that. May also became less girly to the end of her saga, but she focused one a very feminine image (in becoming a Coordinator) and also had a lot of very feminine Pokémon in the anime. Dawn was pure girly power, same with Serena, who is the most feminine waifu of the group. And for Bonnie and the SM girls, I can say the same thing.

3. Design: And then we have lastly the design of the girls. Unlike the boys, who can have different types of faces and bodies, the girls need to look cute and almost all of them must have the typically slim, teenage body design.

So, I can not really see anyone but Gloria been part of the team when it comes to female representation.

- Sonia is just way too old and way too tall.

- Marnie has the typically slim, teenage design, and her main Pokémon is cute (and the new Pikachu of the saga) but she herself doesn't really come off as the cute girly girl in terms of personality. She feels more like an emo type of character. A lonely wolf.

- Nessa is just way too old, tall and has a very sexualized design. Also, just like Marnie she comes off as not too girly. For me, she still comes off as this exotic woman that can enchant the hearts off all people. Not sure, if that will go well in the anime.

- Bea 's problem is her design. She is the opposite of every other girl so far. She is tall (not as much as Nessa and Sonia, but still at least one head tall than Ash), is pretty muscular for a woman, has big feet and doesn't come off as very girlish.

So, yeah Gloria is the only one that fills in all the demanded points for a typical female lead (unless one of the other female gym leaders we haven't seen so far would also fit the template). I personally would love to see someone like Bea, Nessa or Marnie joining Ash, but I do not think that the anime would go so far. After all, they must appeal to a wide audience and most people seem to love the more feminine, cute girls.

I wouldn't even be surprised when Gloria if she ends been the new female lead, that she will be very similar to others girl. Maybe she will also have an Eevee in her team? Or she will have a similar goal like May, Dawn and Serena before her? Since sports are such a huge thing on Galar maybe she will end up as a cheerleader like character and does performance art to cheer Ash up during his battles or before he starts one?

We will see how the anime will be in the end. But these are my personal predictions for the new female lead:

1. It will be Gloria.
  2. She will have an Eevee in her team.
  3. She will be a cheerleader.
  4. Gloria will be a cheerful, happy girl.

I personally can not see Marine been a companion either. Besides Gloria, the female avatar of the game, none of the female characters so far has the potential in becoming the new female lead of the S&S anime. The anime kinda has a template for their female characters when it comes to their design, age and image.

1. Age and height: All of them (with the exception Bonnie) are so far designed as teenagers who have almost the same age height as Ash. Some of them can be a bit taller like Misty and Mallow, but only a few inches.

2. Image: All of them are pretty "girly". Which is not a bad thing, but the anime really never experimented with a really badass girl so far or general an image besides "the girly one". The closest one we got for been a badass, tomboyish trainer is actually Iris, but even she didn't really get much focus on that side. All of the other ones fall in that category. Misty acted most of the time very feminine in her time in the anime, she was never really portraited as a tomboy (which is a common mistake by many fans, since she has the title "Tomboyish Mermaid" in the games, so people automatically see her also as one in the anime). Misty became a badass trainer in the end, but her journey to that happen off-screen, so I can not really count that. May also became less girly to the end of her saga, but she focused one a very feminine image (in becoming a Coordinator) and also had a lot of very feminine Pokémon in the anime. Dawn was pure girly power, same with Serena, who is the most feminine waifu of the group. And for Bonnie and the SM girls, I can say the same thing.

3. Design: And then we have lastly the design of the girls. Unlike the boys, who can have different types of faces and bodies, the girls need to look cute and almost all of them must have the typically slim, teenage body design.

So, I can not really see anyone but Gloria been part of the team when it comes to female representation.

- Sonia is just way too old and way too tall.

- Marnie has the typically slim, teenage design, and her main Pokémon is cute (and the new Pikachu of the saga) but she herself doesn't really come off as the cute girly girl in terms of personality. She feels more like an emo type of character. A lonely wolf.

- Nessa is just way too old, tall and has a very sexualized design. Also, just like Marnie she comes off as not too girly. For me, she still comes off as this exotic woman that can enchant the hearts off all people. Not sure, if that will go well in the anime.

- Bea 's problem is her design. She is the opposite of every other girl so far. She is tall (not as much as Nessa and Sonia, but still at least one head tall than Ash), is pretty muscular for a woman, has big feet and doesn't come off as very girlish.

So, yeah Gloria is the only one that fills in all the demanded points for a typical female lead (unless one of the other female gym leaders we haven't seen so far would also fit the template). I personally would love to see someone like Bea, Nessa or Marnie joining Ash, but I do not think that the anime would go so far. After all, they must appeal to a wide audience and most people seem to love the more feminine, cute girls.

I wouldn't even be surprised when Gloria if she ends been the new female lead, that she will be very similar to others girl. Maybe she will also have an Eevee in her team? Or she will have a similar goal like May, Dawn and Serena before her? Since sports are such a huge thing on Galar maybe she will end up as a cheerleader like character and does performance art to cheer Ash up during his battles or before he starts one?

We will see how the anime will be in the end. But these are my personal predictions for the new female lead:

1. It will be Gloria.
  2. She will have an Eevee in her team.
  3. She will be a cheerleader.
  4. Gloria will be a cheerful, happy girl.
You do know that there are characters that haven't been revealed yet. They could also create a completely anime original female companion.

I thought about Leon, but for some reason I can't see Ash meeting him until after he gets to Galar. I imagine he'd meet Hop who'd then introduce him to Leon, or maybe both at the same time. Then again, I might just be focusing too much on how it looks the game will handle that.
For some reason I believe he won’t be seeing Chairman Rose for some time into SwSh series, either.

I don't think that Yuri is going to even be a companion either.
Doubt it at this point. If we were to see Ash's companions for the new anime, we'd probably have seen them by now...

* For XY we could've had the female Gym Leaders when shown with Clemont in an early trailer, but nope! All we got was Serena.

* For Sun and Moon, at least it made sense for the plot and setting for the series, with them being revealed in August, a month before that anime teaser poster.

* Iris was shown on a leaked concept art for the BW anime, and I think she might have been revealed before the anime teaser poster to that.

Most recently, all we had this month was the Rivals, and all we got were characters that fall out of the mold when it comes to Ash's female companion, except for Gloria. Unless they show us a trailer before the month is out with a Gym Leader character filling in that criteria then yes, that can be the one. But so far I just see Gloria, which means we are probably going down the DP route when it comes to Ash's companions, just like XY did with the Advance Route...

Ash, Gloria and one male Gym Leader.

Last edited:
Doubt it at this point. If we were to see Ash's companions for the new anime, we'd probably have seen them by now...

* For XY we could've had the female Gym Leaders when shown with Clemont in an early trailer, but nope! All we got was Serena.

* For Sun and Moon, at least it made sense for the plot and setting for the series, with them being revealed in August, a month before that anime teaser poster.

* Iris was shown on a leaked concept art for the BW anime, and I think she might have been revealed before the anime teaser poster to that.

Most recently, all we had this month was the Rivals, and all we got were characters that fall out of the mold when it comes to Ash's female companion, except for Gloria. Unless they show us a trailer before the month is out with a Gym Leader character filling in that criteria then yes, that can be the one. But so far I just see Gloria, which means we are probably going down the DP route when it comes to Ash's companions, just like XY did with the Advance Route...

Ash, Gloria and one male Gym Leader.
Yuri is the female PC's default name. I don't think that she's going to be a companion. You're sticking way too close to traditions.

We could always get a nontraditional female companion, like Bea or Nessa. They don't have to use Yuri.
Well if we're the ones creating the anime then we would. It's just that Gloria is the only one so far fitted with the right ingredients to cater to the female audience of the same age for marketing and ratings. Also, we are not the only target demographic the show is aiming for, we keep forgetting that it's the children as well, we must also think of them and what would cater to them.

They could also just create a completely anime original female companion.
That's what I was thinking when I thought they'll probably scrap the traditional formula since XY didn't do so well in Japan..

But that was a month ago, and they might do the traditional formula again, since they've taken a break to recharge the ideas during the SM run.

Last edited:
I think that they'll continue to do non-traditional series. The AU movies sold better than XY's movies and SM's ratings were good, only going down due to the timeslot change.

I think that they'll continue to do non-traditional series. The AU movies sold better than XY's movies and SM's ratings were good, only going down due to the timeslot change.

I can only hope not: I like battles too much and SM was not a good time for the things.

I may find 'Ash is still 10' annoying, but I can live with it when it is more background like SM and I can just make fun of the idea in fanfics. I cannot live with 50 episodes of slice of life.

I couldn't get into Haruhi, what chance does Pokemon have?

Its really simple:

That we haven't seen all characters, doesn't mean the anime staff hasn't seem them (Basically the same with the new Pokemon). Everything most likely was already done before February of this year because of the anime and TCG. So for all we know the companions haven't been shown yet.

Its really simple:

That we haven't seen all characters, doesn't mean the anime staff hasn't seem them (Basically the same with the new Pokemon). Everything most likely was already done before February of this year because of the anime and TCG. So for all we know the companions haven't been shown yet.
Or have by now, since when we look back before the anime to each series was teased, we had been shown the characters of what we would see in the anime as well as the games, including those that would likely be Ash's companions.

As much as people would love to go a non-traditional route to spice things up like the movies are doing, it looks as if the whole SM series is a way of taking a break before going back to tradition, but this time with a much better formula than previous.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom