• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can only hope not: I like battles too much and SM was not a good time for the things.

I may find 'Ash is still 10' annoying, but I can live with it when it is more background like SM and I can just make fun of the idea in fanfics. I cannot live with 50 episodes of slice of life.

I couldn't get into Haruhi, what chance does Pokemon have?

I don't think he is saying there will be less battles. I think his point is that Sword and Shield will be like SM in terms of breaking formulas.

I don't think he is saying there will be less battles. I think his point is that Sword and Shield will be like SM in terms of breaking formulas.

....So what does that mean? Does Ash do the Orig/BW thing of multiple mons, but focused better? Does Ash show signs of definitely being over 10? Does he win Alola and they move onto 'Fraxinus Gettchum' instead?

....So what does that mean? Does Ash do the Orig/BW thing of multiple mons, but focused better? Does Ash show signs of definitely being over 10? Does he win Alola and they move onto 'Fraxinus Gettchum' instead?

We will have to wait and see. However, we do know that the gym challenge is different from what it was in past games, so there is one change already.

We will have to wait and see. However, we do know that the gym challenge is different from what it was in past games, so there is one change already.
And one change will be that the SwSh series will NOT be like that of SM, as mentioned from a tweet from one of the animators. It will probably have Ash assigned to help with the tasks the Gym Leaders give him before qualifying to compete in the Gym Battle. Similar to what we've seen with some Gyms in the past, like helping Flannery with running a Gym for example, or Roark with the runaway Aerodactyl.

It'll be no different than the series we've had in the past, but with a few wits from the SM series.

SM made sense for all these changes because it was based on a Region that DIDN'T HAVE a Pokemon League. Hence why the slice of life and vacation like scene to the series. Since Galar has an already established League, it is highly likely that Ash will go back to the similar formula, but with a slightly different take.

Is it that different, though? Because, from what we know, Trainers still have to challenge gyms, solve their puzzles (which probably won't even be adapted in the anime), defeat the Gym Leaders and collect the eight badges in order to get a shot at challenging the reigning Champion, just like in the other games (bar SM/USUM, for obvious reasons). The only big difference is that now there's a Championship Cup to determine who gets to battle the Champion (that and, we don't actually know for sure if Galar has an Elite Four), but that wouldn't affect the anime in any major way (outside of a possible name change or an outright retcon), since the games' Championship Cup seems to be very similar to the anime's League Conference.

I do hope that this series will be more battle focused and that it will take itself more serious than SM, but, just like you said, we'll have to wait and see, since we know literally nothing about it. Yes, we do know a few things about the games it's based on. But that doesn't really mean anything. Just because the games' theme is "the idea of being the greatest" and just because they'll will be more battle focused doesn't mean that the anime will follow suit. After all, the Sun and Moon games had a surprisingly deep, serious and somewhat dark story, and yet at look how the SM series turned out to be.

Is it that different, though? Because, from what we know, Trainers still have to challenge gyms, solve their puzzles (which probably won't even be adapted in the anime), defeat the Gym Leaders and collect the eight badges in order to get a shot at challenging the reigning Champion, just like in the other games (bar SM/USUM, for obvious reasons). The only big difference is that now there's a Championship Cup to determine who gets to battle the Champion (that and, we don't actually know for sure if Galar has an Elite Four), but that wouldn't affect the anime in any major way (outside of a possible name change or an outright retcon), since the games' Championship Cup seems to be very similar to the anime's League Conference.

I do hope that this series will be more battle focused and that it will take itself more serious than SM, but, just like you said, we'll have to wait and see, since we know literally nothing about it. Yes, we do know a few things about the games it's based on. But that doesn't really mean anything. Just because the games' theme is "the idea of being the greatest" and just because they'll will be more battle focused doesn't mean that the anime will follow suit. After all, the Sun and Moon games had a surprisingly deep, serious and somewhat dark story, and yet at look how the SM series turned out to be.
The plot for SwSh may still be just as dark though, it'll just be loosly based like XY, BW, DP and AG were.

Last edited:
I'm really excited of how the series direction is going to go for this series. It will be cool to see what companions Ash will have in his journey throughout the Galar region. I want to see his team as well and what is he going to start with and when he will start using Dynamix forms for his Pokemon later on in the series.

But overall I'm looking forward to the Sword and Shield anime in the future when the games come out soon and how the series will go as a whole with the anime series.

If Cynthia does make an appearence to coincide with the Gen 4 Remake, her Garchomp will most definitely have a Gigantomax Form.

On the topic of a departure to a more mature Ash, I hope we get back some of the snarky behavior and tendency to throw a roast every now and then, from him.

All of those clips were from OS, so why do people want Ash to regress? Y'all constantly bash him for not progressing consistently, now y'all want him to go back to his old OS personality...

Image result for so what is the truth

I'm really excited of how the series direction is going to go for this series. It will be cool to see what companions Ash will have in his journey throughout the Galar region. I want to see his team as well and what is he going to start with and when he will start using Dynamix forms for his Pokemon later on in the series.

But overall I'm looking forward to the Sword and Shield anime in the future when the games come out soon and how the series will go as a whole with the anime series.

If they follow the games, Ash should be able to use Dynamax as early as the first gym.

And on that topic, I really hope they'll vary the Pokemon Ash Dynamaxes in gyms. With 8 gyms (plus other select instances where Dynamax is possible), I hope each one of his Pokemon gets a chance to Dynamax in at least 1 major battle.

All of those clips were from OS, so why do people want Ash to regress? Y'all constantly bash him for not progressing consistently, now y'all want him to go back to his old OS personality...
Wtf, where did I say anything about regression in terms of maturity/prowess/competence? That video was just an example of Ash's sarcasm/snarkiness that he lost after BW, even if XY saw a more mature version of him. The tendency to throw a roast every now and then was really cool.

Last edited:
I wouldn't want Ash to regress in terms of his battle prowess/competence, but I do miss his snarky side, so I wouldn't mind if that one particular character trait returned. That is probably one of the big problems I have with later seasons is that Ash and his friends get along almost too well so there's barely ever any conflict within the group. That's one reason why I kind of liked seeing Ash snap at Serena in XY121 because it reminded me that Ash can be flawed and not be a 100% super nice guy all the time.

Yeah, the group dynamic was one of the biggest complaints I had with XY. They felt more like acquaintances then an actually close-knit family. Some of that had to do with Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie being written more passively then Ash's pervious companions. However, SM has had pretty good interactions between Ash and his friends and hopefully that carries over into the next series.

Wtf, where did I say anything about regression in terms of maturity/prowess/competence? That video was just an example of Ash's sarcasm/snarkiness that he lost after BW, even if XY saw a more mature version of him. The tendency to throw a roast every now and then was really cool.

Because the idea of him returning to the days of when he was an arrogant, condescending twerp would be a regression in terms of his maturity. Him "roasting" people would be a sign that he's going backwards rather than moving forward.

With battles promising to be big, would love it if one of Ash's companions joins him in challenging gyms, would certainly make up for the lack of battles in Sun and Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom