• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they follow the games, Ash should be able to use Dynamax as early as the first gym.

And on that topic, I really hope they'll vary the Pokemon Ash Dynamaxes in gyms. With 8 gyms (plus other select instances where Dynamax is possible), I hope each one of his Pokemon gets a chance to Dynamax in at least 1 major battle.
I agree I hope they do this as well

Dynamax promises to be exciting, hope Ash can catch one with an exclusive Dynamax form
You mean Gigantomax.

We may see episodes where Ash and his friends had to fight against a Dynamax Pokemon in a Max Raid Battle as part of a story or two...

I, and I'm assuming most others, find XY and SM to be polar opposites of one another in terms of approach and tone. In my opinon, XY took itself a little too seriously, which caused it to drag on a lot, and put very little effort into developing its characters, including the main cast, which could very often make them feel distant or not relatable. But it was very heavy on actions and battles, which was good for the people who like that. SM was definitely goofier with decidedly less action, so not ideal for people who enjoy a lot of battles and the like. The episodes tended to be more humorous and light hearted, and the stakes were never really as high. The characters had much more personality, but I suppose I can also see where that sometimes grates on people as that personality is occasionally over the top.

I'm someone who much prefers the tone taken in SM over XY; battles tend to bore me to tears unless they're exceptionally well done or visually stunning. I'm far more interested in character development and world building. But I personally don't think they'll take a similar approach with the next series. It's one after the other, so my guess is they're going to take a bit of a step back from the more lightheartedness, slice-of-life style that SM gave us. I do enjoy that, as I said, but I'd like to see a bit of a change of pace after 3 years... so long as it doesn't go back to the other extreme.

I think finding a middle ground between XY and SM is what works best; to me, they accomplished this feel with OS, AG, and DP, and it's gone to a lot of different extremes since then. I'd really like for them to return to the overall feel of those earlier series, as they blend together enough of those aspects to appeal to a lot of different fans.

Or have by now, since when we look back before the anime to each series was teased, we had been shown the characters of what we would see in the anime as well as the games, including those that would likely be Ash's companions.

As much as people would love to go a non-traditional route to spice things up like the movies are doing, it looks as if the whole SM series is a way of taking a break before going back to tradition, but this time with a much better formula than previous.
However, the traditional formula has proven to be a failure and the reboot movies are making way more than XY's. I'm fully expecting this to be a non-traditional anime just like SM.

I know this I do not wish to put up patterns, I'm just showing of what Ash and his friends had for Starters in the past...

BulbasaurChikaritaTreekoTurtwigSnivyChespin (Clemont)Rowlet
CharmanderCyndaquilTorchic (May)ChimcharTepigFennekin (Serena)Litten
SquirtleTotodileMudkip (Brock)Piplup (Dawn)OshowattFroakiePoplio (Lana)

So if we go down a pattern route, which would probably mean nothing, we have Ash having 6 Grass Starters, 5 Fire Starters and 4 Water Starters.

And with the starters we now have for SwSh. Since Gloria would be the possible female companion, I could see them having...

Grookey (Gloria)
Scorbunny
Sobble

By giving Ash a break from Grass Starters, his number of Fire Types would run equal, and Water could catch up. Also, since May and Serena have Fire Type Starters, whilst Dawn a Water Type Starter, we haven't yet gotten a Female Trainer companion with a Grass Type Starter. It's just a likely guess at this point.

However, the traditional formula has proven to be a failure and the reboot movies are making way more than XY's. I'm fully expecting this to be a non-traditional anime just like SM.

Well what if it's traditional but with a new spin to it. You just simply don't like Gloria to be a companion, when she could more than likely be at this point. What if to say that she is?

Yeah, the group dynamic was one of the biggest complaints I had with XY. They felt more like acquaintances then an actually close-knit family. Some of that had to do with Serena, Clemont, and Bonnie being written more passively then Ash's pervious companions. However, SM has had pretty good interactions between Ash and his friends and hopefully that carries over into the next series.
To be fair, there's no way any of the travelling companions in XY would have any kind of friction with Ash. Serena is like a jigsaw puzzle to him who fits his flaws and supports him... the only exception being his depression phase. Clemont is introverted and Ash is often one of those few supportive people who encourages him. Bonnie could be the one to cause some manner of irritation, but she usually pisses off Clemont for the most part.
Because the idea of him returning to the days of when he was an arrogant, condescending twerp would be a regression in terms of his maturity. Him "roasting" people would be a sign that he's going backwards rather than moving forward.
Now I didn't say that he has to go out of his way and be a dick to other people for no reason, in fact that would be against his entire character. He would only roast people who are being jerks/bullies to him or his friends, instead of losing his temper like in the older seasons. It would actually depict maturity in a way that he doesn't lose his temper but stays calm and delivers a witty comeback.

I myself do it all the time if people try to piss me off in any way irl, does that make me a 'condescending twerp'?
Can't we just have DP Satoshi back? Mature enough; sunny and likeable personality with a hint of sass :bulbaLove:
@Boruto, this is the type of Ash I meant.

Last edited:
Here's a thought...

If GF did delay SwSh and instead for the anime they give us ''Pokemon Sun and Moon: Ultra Masters''

In this arc, Ash would be invited to Pasio to compete with his friends in the Champion League. Along the way meeting not just Misty and Brock, but all of the old faces once more. Have Ash meet Primape, James Cacnea and resolve all the loose ends within the entire Pokemon anime thus far. So when the series ends with Ash returning to Pallet Town, SwSh would act as some sort of reboot for the series, a fresh start. Or have someone in Galar be in Pasio telling him about the Galar League.

I know it's based on a spinoff game, but it would be nice to give the 7 series a final farewell before moving over to the next Gen.

Unless GF is saving something special for SwSh.

Along the way meeting not just Misty and Brock, but all of the old faces once more. Have Ash meet Primape, James Cacnea and resolve all the loose ends within the entire Pokemon anime thus far.

I doubt OLM'd be willing to pay for the VAs of all those characters. Especially when some are very expensive nowadays (like Miyano Mamoru). The idea is really really good though.

Here's a thought...

If GF did delay SwSh and instead for the anime they give us ''Pokemon Sun and Moon: Ultra Masters''

In this arc, Ash would be invited to Pasio to compete with his friends in the Champion League. Along the way meeting not just Misty and Brock, but all of the old faces once more. Have Ash meet Primape, James Cacnea and resolve all the loose ends within the entire Pokemon anime thus far. So when the series ends with Ash returning to Pallet Town, SwSh would act as some sort of reboot for the series, a fresh start. Or have someone in Galar be in Pasio telling him about the Galar League.

I know it's based on a spinoff game, but it would be nice to give the 7 series a final farewell before moving over to the next Gen.

Unless GF is saving something special for SwSh.
Keep dreaming, because everyone here knows that GF is never delaying Sword & Shield.

I personally can not see Marine been a companion either. Besides Gloria, the female avatar of the game, none of the female characters so far has the potential in becoming the new female lead of the S&S anime. The anime kinda has a template for their female characters when it comes to their design, age and image.

1. Age and height: All of them (with the exception Bonnie) are so far designed as teenagers who have almost the same age height as Ash. Some of them can be a bit taller like Misty and Mallow, but only a few inches.

2. Image: All of them are pretty "girly". Which is not a bad thing, but the anime really never experimented with a really badass girl so far or general an image besides "the girly one". The closest one we got for been a badass, tomboyish trainer is actually Iris, but even she didn't really get much focus on that side. All of the other ones fall in that category. Misty acted most of the time very feminine in her time in the anime, she was never really portraited as a tomboy (which is a common mistake by many fans, since she has the title "Tomboyish Mermaid" in the games, so people automatically see her also as one in the anime). Misty became a badass trainer in the end, but her journey to that happen off-screen, so I can not really count that. May also became less girly to the end of her saga, but she focused one a very feminine image (in becoming a Coordinator) and also had a lot of very feminine Pokémon in the anime. Dawn was pure girly power, same with Serena, who is the most feminine waifu of the group. And for Bonnie and the SM girls, I can say the same thing.

3. Design: And then we have lastly the design of the girls. Unlike the boys, who can have different types of faces and bodies, the girls need to look cute and almost all of them must have the typically slim, teenage body design.

So, I can not really see anyone but Gloria been part of the team when it comes to female representation.

- Sonia is just way too old and way too tall.

- Marnie has the typically slim, teenage design, and her main Pokémon is cute (and the new Pikachu of the saga) but she herself doesn't really come off as the cute girly girl in terms of personality. She feels more like an emo type of character. A lonely wolf.

- Nessa is just way too old, tall and has a very sexualized design. Also, just like Marnie she comes off as not too girly. For me, she still comes off as this exotic woman that can enchant the hearts off all people. Not sure, if that will go well in the anime.

- Bea 's problem is her design. She is the opposite of every other girl so far. She is tall (not as much as Nessa and Sonia, but still at least one head tall than Ash), is pretty muscular for a woman, has big feet and doesn't come off as very girlish.

So, yeah Gloria is the only one that fills in all the demanded points for a typical female lead (unless one of the other female gym leaders we haven't seen so far would also fit the template). I personally would love to see someone like Bea, Nessa or Marnie joining Ash, but I do not think that the anime would go so far. After all, they must appeal to a wide audience and most people seem to love the more feminine, cute girls.

I wouldn't even be surprised when Gloria if she ends been the new female lead, that she will be very similar to others girl. Maybe she will also have an Eevee in her team? Or she will have a similar goal like May, Dawn and Serena before her? Since sports are such a huge thing on Galar maybe she will end up as a cheerleader like character and does performance art to cheer Ash up during his battles or before he starts one?

We will see how the anime will be in the end. But these are my personal predictions for the new female lead:

1. It will be Gloria.
  2. She will have an Eevee in her team.
  3. She will be a cheerleader.
  4. Gloria will be a cheerful, happy girl.

Casual misogyny aside, Marnie is actually the exact kind of girl that's popular with young girls nowadays.

Casual misogyny aside, Marnie is actually the exact kind of girl that's popular with young girls nowadays.
Yet she's not the sort for a Japanese market. She's still a rival, a lone wolf, and is pursued by Team Yell. I don't see her being the type that could be Ash's companion. They normally go for the cute happy girl character, in this case so far... Gloria.

Last edited:
Use this thread to discuss and speculate about what Pokémon Sword and Shield could bring for the anime.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BdA22Lh6Rwk

I hope to see in depth stories of notable trainers and gym leaders, well at least in the near future. I'm sure that these stories would so much more exciting than Ash defeating everyone using no skill what so ever!

Yet she's not the sort for a Japanese market. She's still a rival, a lone wolf, and is pursued by Team Yell. I don't see her being the type that could be Ash's companion. They normally go for the cute happy girl character, in this case so far... Gloria.

Nah, edgy and cool girls like Marnie have been trending in Japan for at least two years now. Just look up Keyakizaka46 which is insanely popular amongst girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom