• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
DP started airing previews for BW while the semifinals of the Sinnoh League were about to start, so we'll see.
I think the announcement could either be the new series or a preview of what's to come in Sun & Moon's final episodes.
Probably the latter if they want to surprise us and not give us a cliffhanger ending. It'll probably showcase Shaymin in it's Sky Form, Lillie and Gladion reunited with their father and the graduation from Pokemon School.

I'm hoping that's not the case. Because I'm more for the former.

I think that we're just going to see a preview of the remaining episodes of SM, with the Sword & Shield anime not being announced until after either SM138 or SM139.
or until late October and early November. However semifinals of the Pokemon League and September is normally when the new saga is shown.

Last edited:
I think that we're just going to see a preview of the remaining episodes of SM, with the Sword & Shield anime not being announced until after either SM138 or SM139.
World exclusive announcement sounds bigger than a simple multi episode preview, which we’ve got manu times before.

Yeah, I'm positive that they're going to reveal the SWSH anime series. I highly doubt that they'd show a preview of the last few episodes of SM and promote it as a world exclusive announcement. They wouldn't make a big deal about extended previews of upcoming SM episodes, especially when we have gotten them multiple time before. This would be the first official announcement/possible details about the next anime series, so calling it a world exclusive announcement makes sense and instantly attracts some more hype to the episode itself. Plus, they'd want to get some time to promote the SWSH anime and starting right at the beginning of September would give them a little over two months to hype up the new series.

It's possible that they could reveal the new companions before revealing Ash, but regardless of whether or not he is still in the Alola League, I don't think revealing him as still the lead character would be a problem. As much as I'd like to see who the new traveling companions are, if only so that there isn't more speculation on who could join the cast, it's probably more likely that they'll showcase the Galar starters from the anime. If they don't want to show any human characters, showcasing the new starter Pokemon as how they look in the anime would be pretty ideal.

Yeah, I'm positive that they're going to reveal the SWSH anime series. I highly doubt that they'd show a preview of the last few episodes of SM and promote it as a world exclusive announcement. They wouldn't make a big deal about extended previews of upcoming SM episodes, especially when we have gotten them multiple time before. This would be the first official announcement/possible details about the next anime series, so calling it a world exclusive announcement makes sense and instantly attracts some more hype to the episode itself. Plus, they'd want to get some time to promote the SWSH anime and starting right at the beginning of September would give them a little over two months to hype up the new series.

It's possible that they could reveal the new companions before revealing Ash, but regardless of whether or not he is still in the Alola League, I don't think revealing him as still the lead character would be a problem. As much as I'd like to see who the new traveling companions are, if only so that there isn't more speculation on who could join the cast, it's probably more likely that they'll showcase the Galar starters from the anime. If they don't want to show any human characters, showcasing the new starter Pokemon as how they look in the anime would be pretty ideal.
Guess they can also use the two-and-a-half month gap from the announcement to the anime release to gouge initial reactions regarding the announcement/art style/premise and make necessary changed. If they've learned anything from the past that is.

I like the fact that they're going more systematic this time instead of revealing it during a serious climax which while I like SM, they way the revealed it and the timing was poorly done. Also since it's called "Worldwide" could TPCi mention the New Anime Series when it's revealed in Japan like they did with M22 in January?

Guess they can also use the two-and-a-half month gap from the announcement to the anime release to gouge initial reactions regarding the announcement/art style/premise and make necessary changed. If they've learned anything from the past that is.

I don't think that they'd be able to make any big changes within just 2 and a half months though. I mean, we know that it takes about 6 months to produce an episode of the anime, so even if fans universally hate the animation style or premise of the ShSw saga from the previews, I highly doubt that the producers would be able to fix the issues in the episodes that they've already started producing, most of which are probably halfway finished by now.

I doubt that they'd be able to make any changes that fast. Two months is a pretty short amount of time to fix up any of the early episodes of SWSH, especially the general premise. Not to mention I really don't think that they'd care about the initial reactions about the premise or art style. Most of the people who could be potentially upset about it would be well outside of the anime's demographic, so I don't think that they'd be that concerned with appealing to the older fans with the anime.

I like the fact that they're going more systematic this time instead of revealing it during a serious climax which while I like SM, they way the revealed it and the timing was poorly done. Also since it's called "Worldwide" could TPCi mention the New Anime Series when it's revealed in Japan like they did with M22 in January?

It's possible that the new series would be announced on the official Pokemon Twitter page. They probably wouldn't take too long to reveal it either way if we're still going to get a sneak peak of the new series's dub late this year like they've done in the past.

Ohh I'm excited to hear about this. I think my biggest things I want to see (as long as this is Sword and Shield anime we are seeing next week) are the art style, will the anime be like past series with traveling, like SM with school, or something different, and who Ash's companions/friends/whoevers are?

I do enjoy SM's art style, but if we go back to the travel style of anime I just don't feel like it suits that style all that well. I think it works really well for the goofy (at least most of the time), more "slice of life" style that SM had going for it, but I think a more action and adventure style of show should have something similar to what we have seen in the past.

And I really want to know who Ash's companions will be. I have come to expect we will continue to see Ash' even though I have grown pretty much bored of his story at this point, so I always love seeing the companions and what stories they will have to share.

So super hyped for next week!

What I want the announcement to be: A declaration that the Sword and Shield anime will start over with a new protagonist, completely unrelated to Ash.

What I think the announcement will be: A sneak peek at the Sword and Shield anime, showing that Ash will still be around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom