• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still say that my girl Marnie could be a potential cast member. The writers would just need to make her less stoic, because I don't think that her presumable badass attitude would work in the cast if left intact.
Then what is the point of having Team Yell?

The last thing I want is something resembling a trope that some live action teen sitcoms already have.

cough Hannah Montana cough

Last edited:
They are, that's what was said on the official site.
That's a crying shame. If Dexit is anything to go by, it seems all future Pokemon games will be fragmented pockets when it comes to the Pokemon present in the region.

Ah well, any pre-volutions/post-volutions work as long as some ignored or older Pokemon get to shine.

Works doubly if it includes any of Ash's current roster. Potential ones down below.
Primeape.
Noctowl.
Swellow.
Torkoal.
Gible (existing evolution present but would be really cool to be brought back especially for those Sinnoh remakes).
Hawlucha.

Also...?
https://www.boardgame-news.com/images/grandbull.jpg

That's a crying shame. If Dexit is anything to go by, it seems all future Pokemon games will be fragmented pockets when it comes to the Pokemon present in the region.

Ah well, any pre-volutions/post-volutions work as long as some ignored or older Pokemon get to shine.

Works doubly if it includes any of Ash's current roster. Potential ones down below.
Primeape.
Noctowl.
Swellow.
Torkoal.
Gible (existing evolution present but would be really cool to be brought back especially for those Sinnoh remakes).
Hawlucha.

Also...?
https://www.boardgame-news.com/images/grandbull.jpg
That Granbull evolution is old

I mean, all three of Ash's Kalos buddies were basically an Ash fanclub. Clemont and Bonnie idolized Ash almost as much as Serena
I'm not just talking about characters simply 'admiring' Ash; I was talking about the writing staff's decision to have Serena, Clemont and Bonnie act like Ash's cult following. It gets annoying when the main characters continuously kiss Ash's ass for 3 whole years.
I'm not sure where did that come from. Eureka didn't act like that at all towards him. Citron is inspired by him the same way how SM cast is ispired by him.

This intense debate over who Satoshi's traveling companions could be just reminds me of the speculation before we learned about the Sun&Moon series. Arguing over whether the girl group member would be the playable character or a trial captain like Mao, would Hau be a rival or a travelling companion, would the series stay with four characters or go back down to three....and look what happened!

At this point pretty much any character combination/number of characters would not surprise me.

This intense debate over who Satoshi's traveling companions could be just reminds me of the speculation before we learned about the Sun&Moon series. Arguing over whether the girl group member would be the playable character or a trial captain like Mao, would Hau be a rival or a travelling companion, would the series stay with four characters or go back down to three....and look what happened!

At this point pretty much any character combination/number of characters would not surprise me.
Well the thing with the Sun and Moon Arc, it makes sense to make the scene a School with the Trial Captains as students. Not least because there isn't any Gyms nor a Pokemon League on Alola, and with the region being small, and with the main focus on one island, it does give the series a reason to make it slice of life.

With Sword and Shield, it looks as if it's returning to the old formula to the past 6 Gens we had, but with slight modifications. It'll be Ash with two Companions travelling throughout the Galar Region with Ash competing for Gym Badges in order to compete in the Champions Cup.

In hindsight those decisions might make sense, but when we first learned about it in 2016 people were shocked. In the games you still traveled around, you didn't just stay on Melemele island. Trial Battles, while not exactly the same as gym battles, could have easily been adapted in the anime to be identical/near identical to the gym league. Nothing about what we knew of the games made the scenario of Satoshi attending a Pokemon school, having 5 main friends, and spending a good chunk of the series in one static location seem likely. A lot of the changes to formula in the Gen 7 games were "slight modifications".

In fact, the very first reply in this thread was "Ash will travel with the new girl and a gym leader" and it certainly wasn't an unpopular opinion at the time.

It'll be Ash with two Companions travelling throughout the Galar Region with Ash competing for Gym Badges in order to compete in the Champions Cup.

This is what most people (at least from what I saw) thought about the Sun&Moon anime before details were first given.

In hindsight those decisions might make sense, but when we first learned about it in 2016 people were shocked. In the games you still traveled around, you didn't just stay on Melemele island. Trial Battles, while not exactly the same as gym battles, could have easily been adapted in the anime to be identical/near identical to the gym league. Nothing about what we knew of the games made the scenario of Satoshi attending a Pokemon school, having 5 main friends, and spending a good chunk of the series in one static location seem likely. A lot of the changes to formula in the Gen 7 games were "slight modifications".

In fact, the very first reply in this thread was "Ash will travel with the new girl and a gym leader" and it certainly wasn't an unpopular opinion at the time.

This is what most people (at least from what I saw) thought about the Sun&Moon anime before details were first given.
Sun and Moon is different to Sword and Shield, since Galar is a much larger Region with an already established League. Just because the companion thing didn't come true for Gen 7, doesn't mean similar won't happen for Gen 8.

There was in fact a Tweet from one of the animators recently saying that the Sword and Shield's anime will not be like Sun and Moon with the slice of life thing.

Tbh I don't think that any of Ash's old reserves will appear in ShSw (other than in cameos, maybe) even if they're in the Galar Pokedex. I think the writers don't care enough about them to actually bring them back for major roles anymore.

The only things Ash will bring over is Pikachu and Rotom as Rotom Phone.

Tbh I don't think that any of Ash's old reserves will appear in ShSw (other than in cameos, maybe) even if they're in the Galar Pokedex. I think the writers don't care enough about them to actually bring them back for major roles anymore.

Pretty much. The only ones I can see coming back in some form is the Kanto starters, but that is about it.

Sun and Moon is different to Sword and Shield, since Galar is a much larger Region with an already established League. Just because the companion thing didn't come true for Gen 7, doesn't mean similar won't happen for Gen 8.

There was in fact a Tweet from one of the animators recently saying that the Sword and Shield's anime will not be like Sun and Moon with the slice of life thing.

The only things Ash will bring over is Pikachu and Rotom as Rotom Phone.

All my point is is that expectations were not met for the SM cast members. A lot of people here are making claims as if they’re confirmed statements, and there is a chance they could not be true.

All my point is is that expectations were not met for the SM cast members. A lot of people here are making claims as if they’re confirmed statements, and there is a chance they could not be true.
That's why I'm trying not to get too excited nor expect anything for the new series.

I still say that my girl Marnie could be a potential cast member. The writers would just need to make her less stoic, because I don't think that her presumable badass attitude would work in the cast if left intact.
Status Quos have started to be broken in XY and SM continued that, so they could do the same in Galar. My main point in all of my comments in this thread is, the main point of the Anime is marketing and don't be surprised if the prioritize that over the story. Don't expect the characaters in the Anime to have the same personality as in the games, regardless if the Anime is SoL or not that has really 0 impact on the main plot.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where did that come from. Eureka didn't act like that at all towards him. Citron is inspired by him the same way how SM cast is ispired by him.
I kinda disagree, the Kalos group did feel like a huge Ash circlejerk quite frequently (not always). The only one that was doing her own thing for most of the series was Eureka iirc, I'll agree with you on that.

However, with SM, even though they get inspired by Ash from time to time, it's usually other interactions that take the limelight. Kaki and Mamane, Suiren and Mao, Lillie and her family affairs, etc. It doesn't feel like the show revolves around Ash (most of the time), and there's (imo) a more complex network of connections going on.

Not necessarily, if the rest of the main cast is more loose she could be a great straight (wo)man to balance things out. Plus, Team Yell popping out of nowhere and being annoying fangirls could allow for some levity despite her more stoic presence.

Last edited:
When I watch XY the group does act like a cult.

It's why I disliked Serena. She was essentially worshiping some random Japanese boy she met once as a kid. Lol, chill girl, he is just a friendly boy not Kantonian Jesus

:LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom