• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know I would be kind of surprised if a gym leader is one of Ash's companions. Gyms seem like a big deal in the Galar region and being a leader doesn't seem like something you can just get up and leave like in Kanto with Brock and Misty.

That's another one of the main reasons why I would rather Ash not travel with a gym leader.

You know I would be kind of surprised if a gym leader is one of Ash's companions. Gyms seem like a big deal in the Galar region and being a leader doesn't seem like something you can just get up and leave like in Kanto with Brock and Misty.
Except, if they do that then they can't have a third companion unless they create an anime-original character, assuming that Ash travels with the female PC.

Except, if they do that then they can't have a third companion unless they create an anime-original character, assuming that Ash travels with the female PC.
doubtful for SwSh if Gloria is the companion. The only anime made characters we know of is Max (based on a male student for Gen 3) and Bonnie.

Yeah, which they can do. They have done it before (Tracey).

I mean why not? Tracey was a decent companion and the only reason he was shafted was because people were outraged at Brock leaving. Also Bonnie isn't an OC (responding to one of the above).

Yeah, which they can do. They have done it before (Tracey).

Tracey showed up in like the middle of the Gen 1 era when there weren't any major new games to promote, whereas I can't see the writers missing the perfect opportunity to showcase a male character from the Shield and Sword games in the main cast as extra promo for Gen 8.

The only anime made characters we know of is Max (based on a male student for Gen 3) and Bonnie.

Bonnie's from the games.

You forgot Tracey. Though OLM seems to have too...
(not that he was ever very memorable to begin with)

Though I wouldn't mind a Show OC as part of Ash-tachii. Heck, we've had some that were honorary members in DP and BW. Plus, this puts me in the (extreme?) minority, but I rather Ash DIDN'T have a Gym Leader by his side.

People kept saying that Tracey was added because Brock is racist, when you're forgetting that the anime is focusing souly on Japan, and not so much on the west.

Tracey showed up in like the middle of the Gen 1 era when there weren't any major new games to promote, whereas I can't see the writers missing the perfect opportunity to showcase a male character from the Shield and Sword games in the main cast as extra promo for Gen 8.

Eh, I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. They need to promote the Pokemon, the characters matter less IMO.

Bede, Yuri, Hop, Marnie

There's already plenty of options that don't involve butchering a gym leader

Eh, I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. They need to promote the Pokemon, the characters matter less IMO.

But the fact that the writers always have game characters join Ash's group (with only one exception) proves that promoting video game characters is almost as important to the writers as promoting the Pokemon themselves.

But the fact that the writers always have game characters join Ash's group (with only one exception) proves that promoting video game characters is almost as important to the writers as promoting the Pokemon themselves.

I think the usage of game characters depend on their roles in the game. It was easy to them to adapt gym leaders like Brock, Misty, Cilan, and Clemont because their roles in the game were not that important. Like I said earlier, I think Galar is different. Gym battles (and leaders for that matter) feel like bigger then life, which is different from other regions when being a gym leader was merely a job.

I think the usage of game characters depend on their roles in the game. It was easy to them to adapt gym leaders like Brock, Misty, Cilan, and Clemont because their roles in the game were not that important. Like I said earlier, I think Galar is different. Gym battles (and leaders for that matter) feel like bigger then life, which is different from other regions when being a gym leader was merely a job.
The way the Gym Leaders are presented or Sword and Shield makes the past Gym Leaders look like teachers in a High School Exam.

My vote goes to Allister. He's an interchangeable gym leader, much like Cilan and Iris, and he seems wacky enough for several gags. If there is another pair of version-exclusive leaders and the female one isn't too old, then Gloria might not be needed, either.

A lot of the gym leaders seem to be whacky enough to become a companion. Milo could have a running gag in how tall and strong he is, and Bea could have just like Raven from Teen Titans a sarcastic, and dry humour.

People kept saying that Tracey was added because Brock is racist, when you're forgetting that the anime is focusing souly on Japan, and not so much on the west.

Tracey was added because the creative team was afraid that Brock could be considered racist after the situation with Jynx. That was established years ago. The anime is focused on appealing to children, especially in Japan, but I think that they also recognize that the show has a global audience/market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom