• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vote goes to Allister. He's an interchangeable gym leader, much like Cilan and Iris, and he seems wacky enough for several gags.

He's a hunchbacked, mask-wearing creeper. Basically a watered down emo version of Conway. What part of that is supposed to be funny?

Bea could have just like Raven from Teen Titans a sarcastic, and dry humour.

Oh great just what the show needs, a boring-ass companion character.

He's a hunchbacked, mask-wearing creeper. Basically a watered down emo version of Conway. What part of that is supposed to be funny?

Oh great just what the show needs, a boring-ass companion character.

Is he really hunchbacked though? I don't remember seeing any footage of him in the trailers, so I'm just judging him by his artwork and I don't think he looks hunchbacked. More like he's doing a zombie pose. He's still all kinds of awful though. I'm constantly in a state of shocked Pikachu face whenever I see people speculate that Allister has a good chance of joining the cast.

In just a few more days we'll very likely have our first bit of information on the Sword and Shield anime. The day is coming up quickly, and with it, I hope we will see who Ash's companions will be. Since everyone else seems to be discussing who they think will be Ash's companions, I thought I would throw my two cents in. This will likely be my final predictions, but there are some other characters I do think have somewhat of a chance to get in the cast, which I will mention as well.

My final predictions for the main cast is Ash, Gloria, and Milo.

Out of every character revealed so far, I think Gloria is the best candidate to be a companion. She's a blank slate, as the player trainers are. Yes, the anime has been known to change around a character's personality a bit to better suit the anime, especially if they are a companion. But at least at the beginning (taking Brock for an example, since he had 4 whole series to develop his character), they try to make sure they haven't deviated too far from that original personality. They usually only seem to do so just a bit. Since Gloria is the player character though, she doesn't have a set personality to try to somewhat possible, and they can easily give her a different goal, as they have done in the past with the female trainer companions. We haven't seen many other activities in the games yet that could be where her goal lies, but then again the anime designed the Pokemon Showcases for X and Y with Serena. So they could do similar and give Gloria some new feature. Or even use another kind of trainer class as her goal. With the E3 gameplay showing something about ingredients, (and the Affleck (real) leak talking about the new Pokemon Amie/Refresh called Camping) I can totally see her becoming a Pokemon Breeder, or something along those lines. I will admit that she is the one I want as a companion the most too. I really enjoy when the anime uses trainers as companions because they can do so much with them.

I think Milo is probably the best pick for the Gym Leader companion this time around as well. He looks like he can provide a lot of comic relief to the show, while still being this big warm-hearted guy at first loos like he can rip you and a half, but then you meet him and he is so sweet, but then you see his tough side and realize he can, in fact, break you in half. I've warmed up to him in the couple months since his reveal. I'm having a little bit of trouble finding a reason for him to travel, but I was having the same issue with all the other gym leaders besides getting stronger. And I'm sure they can find some reason. The big issue I am finding with him being a companion he does have to leave his gym. It does make it feel like Bea or Allister would be a more ideal candidate because they are already revealed version exclusive gym leaders. Meaning, they could just simply not be a gym leader in this version. But, the anime has always resolved this issue of a gym leader leaving their gym before. Clemont had Clembot, and Brock's Dad took over the gym. They could easily do something like this again. I do understand the reasoning behind "why not just choose a gym leader companion who has a version exclusive counterpart so they don't even have to write that?" and trust me, it makes sense to me too. I'll explain why I think they won't work as well in my honorable mentions. Overall, I think Milo looks like a great companion to travel with Ash.

Honorable Mentions (other possibilities)

Bea or Allister

At front, Bea seems like she could be a great companion, because she is quite different from companions before, personality-wise. She is also a fighting type trainer, which we have not seen before as one of Ash's companions. The problem I see actually comes with her personality though. Sure it's fresh and new, but they usually try to make the gym leader companions look a bit friendlier I guess. She just seems like she would be sarcastic, tough girl personality the whole time. I guess that would work if we had a bigger main cast of characters (like SM) sized, but with only 3 or 4 I just don't think I could see it working. Yes, they can change up her personality a bit but as I mentioned earlier, they usually don't deviate that far from their original source material unless the character has had a lot of time to develop it. Maybe she is friendlier in the game too, but it just does not seem it yet. And sure Lillie didn't seem the most friendly at first glance, but she also had an entire game to show more of her personality, while Bea will likely only have 20 minutes to maybe an hour, depending on if they decide to use her for other plots in the game.

Allister also looks like he would work very well. He seems to have a good personality, we haven't had a ghost type trainer yet as an Ash companion, and he is apart of a version exclusive gym. Plus, he's got what could be some amazing gags especially with the mask on his face. He'd also be a really good candidate to be the trainer who has Sobble (especially if Sobble gets a ghost type evolution). They are both shy and as they develop and evolve they grow more confident together. But the problem with him that I see does resolve to his mask. Yes, he can probably be somewhat expressive with it o, but the anime likes to use a lot of expressions (if Sun and Moon don't prove that then I don't know what does). Okay, so he could take his mask off? Yes, he can, but one of the main things the anime does is promote the games, and I don't think we'll end up seeing Allister remove the mask in the game. Maybe they could have some sort of idea where Allister finally feels confident enough to remove his mask and show off his face to his companions, but then he puts it back on whenever they are in public, but idk.

And while this is a more minor problem, and can be pretty easily explained, it is worth noting that with the exclusion of some of Ash's classmates, Ash's companions in the past are usually met at or near where you meet them in-game. Besides Ash's Sun and Moon classmates the biggest exception is Misty, but she's still like the second gym leader, so it's not too far out. I think the earliest we will be fighting Bea/Allister in-game is gym number 3 if the gym that is in the industrial city is locked off till later. Not only that, but their gym is way up north on the map, pretty early from the starting area. I know Ash doesn't have to start in the first area, but seeing how this map is very vertical, I can imagine him following a pretty linear path. The furthest I see them placing him in the region is in that industrial city, and maybe having him backtrack a bit. Still, nowhere near this rocky cliffside gym where Bea/Allister is. Sure, either of them could have gone to the city for some reason and meet Ash that way, but their pattern is usually having companions that come from areas you visit earlier in the game (and yes I know Clemont was fought 5th in the games but you can also go to Lumiose after the the first gym).

Marnie

Marnie is a weird case. We have never seen a companion with her kind of personality before, and she's a female rival who isn't a player character, so she has a lot more personality in her, to begin with. Her design is pretty great too, and with these factors, I could easily see her being an Ash companion. But there are some problems. As mentioned by others earlier, she's a gym challenger. They usually have the companions doing something different in order to keep the gym challenge fresh so Ash can shine in that department. I just can't see them doing a rival of Ash's as one of his companions. On top of that, Team Yell's whole design and goal is to follow her around and support her. IN the past they have greatly changed the game plot, and even the team a bit, but Team Yell is literally designed after her. I don't think it would work having them constantly following her around and stuff. As for the whole Morpeko deal, since they do like to have one of the companions with the Pikaclone, it would be pretty easy to give her or whatever companion gets the Pikaclone a Shiny Morpeko. It would still allow Marnie to use her ace as Ash's rival, and would allow for Morpeko to be with the main crew.

I also still think Nessa is possible, and honestly, I can't see much wrong with her being one of the companions, besides having the same issue as Milo where she would need someone to watch her gym. And again, they could easily find that. In fact, now that I think about it, she's entirely possible. I think the main issue with her being a companion though is that I just can't think of a gimmick though. With Milo and Allister it was easy, but I just can't think of anything. Who knows maybe they thought of something, but usually when they have companions they have goals or gimmicks to give to them, so they can have some reason for being there.

Alright, I'm finished with my essay. The writer in me likes to add too much detail. Long story short: I predict Milo and Gloria as the new companions, but I also think Bea, Allister, Marnie, and Nessa are possible, but not as likely for so and so reasons.

I kinda disagree, the Kalos group did feel like a huge Ash circlejerk quite frequently (not always). The only one that was doing her own thing for most of the series was Eureka iirc, I'll agree with you on that. However, with SM, even though they get inspired by Ash from time to time, it's usually other interactions that take the limelight. Kaki and Mamane, Suiren and Mao, Lillie and her family affairs, etc. It doesn't feel like the show revolves around Ash (most of the time), and there's (imo) a more complex network of connections going on.
I don't follow. How is that (show revolves around him?) any way related to the discussion about whether or not XY group worships him? How is Satoshi's relationship with Citron is any different from his interaction with Kaki and Mamane ("we're rivals, show me your true power, blah, blah...")? I don't even remember that Kaki and Mamane interacts much, other than the training camp episode. And you're talking like if XY group only interact with Satoshi, which is not the case. Serena had her mother and rivals, Citron interacted with his sister more than Satoshi, etc.
The Characters all have their own stories and daily lifes, they get their own development thru unique ways rather than the typical cliche "Ash Inspires them."
But he inspired all of SM cast. They even added that line to the current opening.
If that's the case if Bea becomes Ash's companion, then we can expect Ash getting all three starters, and having the plot similar to DP and BW. Mostly BW, which I hope it doesn't go down from what I've heard.
That makes no sense.
Plus, we haven't seen the Gym Leaders in casual clothing, and not in the Soccer wear.
Yet.
You know I would be kind of surprised if a gym leader is one of Ash's companions. Gyms seem like a big deal in the Galar region and being a leader doesn't seem like something you can just get up and leave like in Kanto with Brock and Misty.
They can use version exclusive gym leaders.
When I watch XY the group does act like a cult.
Can you give me an example of this cultish behavior?

I seriously doubt it. Every main female character has been vastly different save for Iris (whom they tried to turn into a more annoying and diet version of Misty). Even May and Dawn who apparently seem similar at first glance have a difference as big as the Sun and the Moon.

(No pun intended above.)
Gen 5 was the new Gen 1 so it made sense they were trying to replicate the Kanto Anime, like with similar scenes after Ash lost the league, the series being followed with an island filler arc. Cilan and Iris being based off of Brock and Misty.

My vote goes to Allister. He's an interchangeable gym leader, much like Cilan and Iris, and he seems wacky enough for several gags. If there is another pair of version-exclusive leaders and the female one isn't too old, then Gloria might not be needed, either.
Exactly what I've been saying

Gen 5 was the new Gen 1 so it made sense they were trying to replicate the Kanto Anime, like with similar scenes after Ash lost the league, the series being followed with an island filler arc. Cilan and Iris being based off of Brock and Misty.
XY tries to replicate Advance, whilst Sun and Moon was a series to itself somewhat, with a hint of Diamond and Pearl somewhere in it. SwSh will probably be another replica series, perhaps inspired by Diamond and Pearl proper. Would make sense if there's a Diamond and Pearl Remake coming out, possibly next year.

I don't follow. How is that (show revolves around him?) any way related to the discussion about whether or not XY group worships him? How is Satoshi's relationship with Citron is any different from his interaction with Kaki and Mamane ("we're rivals, show me your true power, blah, blah...")? I don't even remember that Kaki and Mamane interacts much, other than the training camp episode. And you're talking like if XY group only interact with Satoshi, which is not the case. Serena had her mother and rivals, Citron interacted with his sister more than Satoshi, etc.

But he inspired all of SM cast. They even added that line to the current opening.

That makes no sense.

Yet.

"Inspired" yes but I mean in the sense in which they don't push that cliche too much. He inspires characters in Movie 21 as well, but that aspect isn't pushed.

XY tries to replicate Advance, whilst Sun and Moon was a series to itself somewhat, with a hint of Diamond and Pearl somewhere in it. SwSh will probably be another replica series, perhaps inspired by Diamond and Pearl proper. Would make sense if there's a Diamond and Pearl Remake coming out, possibly next year.

Actually, now that I think about it…

A more mature version of Ash…

A girl who competes in contest-like tournaments…

A camp arc…

A Starter Pokemon that has some really beefy power-up in the league…

Some BS taking place to make sure Ash loses the league…

A Pokemon that’s weak at first, then becomes strong and Ash releases, then comes back for the League…

An evil team bent on creating a new world…

GUYS! I’VE FIGURED IT OUT! XY(Z) IS JUST A CRAPPIER VERSION OF DP! IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW!

I can see the comparisons with XY and AG, although I think it's inaccurate to say that they were trying to replicate it considering they weren't that similar. There really isn't anything remotely similar to DP in SM. I can't really say any other Pokemon series reminded me so much of a previous one that it left me thinking that it was just a replica series, so I doubt that SWSH would come off like that to me either.

My last minute predictions are Ash+Gloria+Another female companion(Nessa?), and Clemont returning as an occasional companion.

I have the feeling, if the new anime will take inspirations from a previous series and will not be its own unique thing like S&M was, I think that the S&S anime will be once again closer to the formula of the original series.

Gyms are back and seem to play a big role in the games, all of the starters look like they could fit with Ash, one of the new rivals comes off a bit like a jerk. It has a bit this OS flair in it. But it could be the other way around and the new anime will be something new and fresh. By Sunday at the least, we will find out what the whole deal is with the anime. I still cross my fingers and hope it isn't a CG show. When it isn't very stylized all CGI movies and shows look kinda the same to me. Also, there are styles that can only work in 2D. And Pokémon is one of them.

Last edited:
Whatever he posted
Nah, actually XY seems more based off an advanced version of AG. Even more struck home by the fact that he only used his regional team. Hopefully in SwSh, we see the occasional rotation or cameo of his older Pokemon. Make sense to bring someone like Gible or Torterra if there's gonna be Sinnoh remakes down the road.

That makes no sense.

Yet.

Typo. I meant to say does not.

I have the feeling, if the new anime will take inspirations from a previous series and will not be its own unique thing like S&M was, I think that the S&W anime will be once again closer to the formula of the original series.

Gyms are back and seem to play a big role in the games, all of the starters look like they could fit with Ash, one of the new rivals comes off a bit like a jerk. It has a bit this OS flair in it. But it could be the other way around and the new anime will be something new and fresh. By Sunday at the least, we will find out what the whole deal is with the anime. I still cross my fingers and hope it isn't a CG show. When it isn't very stylized all CGI movies and shows look kinda the same to me. Also, there are styles that can only work in 2D. And Pokémon is one of them.
Oh my gosh I hadn't even considered the idea of it being CG. Oh my gosh please don't do this Pokemon anime. Please just don't. I'll take SM's style any day, even if it's for a travel anime. Just don't do CG. CG works so well with some things, but if the recent Mewtwo movie is anything to go by then it just cannot do the people characters any justice.

Gosh I'm going to have nightmares about that now.

Let's hope SwSh's companions are treated better. Perhaps like Ash's schoolmates from SM.

You know, I really feel like I've responded to a somewhat similar comment before. So have that ↓ be my response to this post.
outside of Kiawe and 1st year Lillie (and only in the series' 1st year), all of the characters have barely had any relevant development. Sophocles has been nothing more than a second-hand fat version of Clemont for almost 2 years and them suddenly giving him a new vocation doesn't make it that much better, Mallow has been nothing but happy 24/7 (except for two episode) and the episodes that focus on her barely have some impact (if any) on her character, Lillie has barely done anything since the Aether arc (not to mention that, as far as I'm aware, she still has no real goal and only has one unevolved Pokémon that only knows some of the weakest attack that there are) and Lana... she's so random that I don't even know what her character is supposed to be, let alone her development. And don't even get me started on the classmates' Pokémon.

Look, I can understand some of the complaints regarding the Kalos gang (and trust me, even I have my own gripes regarding some of the ways the XY companions, their stories and their character development were handled). But the Alolan classmates were treated way worse than the Kalos gang. By far.

Last edited:
XY tries to replicate Advance, whilst Sun and Moon was a series to itself somewhat, with a hint of Diamond and Pearl somewhere in it.

XY being similiar to AG...okay there are some similiarities like the 4 people group but I think they differ each other just enough.

But I can't see anything DP in SM. Like they couldn't be different enough.

XY being similiar to AG...okay there are some similiarities like the 4 people group but I think they differ each other just enough.

But I can't see anything DP in SM. Like they couldn't be different enough.
Apart from space and time. But then patterns do change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom