• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Brock it made sense since Gen 1 to 4 are based on areas in Japan
By that logic, it would make sense for Kalos companions to return due to the proximity of the British Isles to Northern France, the fact that they're literally connected by the Channel Tunnel.

XY being similiar to AG...okay there are some similiarities like the 4 people group but I think they differ each other just enough.

But I can't see anything DP in SM. Like they couldn't be different enough.
Because it's not. SM is more of a 'break' season, a vacation.
Thought that would be obvious with the lack of hardcore battle focus.

By that logic, it would make sense for Kalos companions to return due to the proximity of the British Isles to Northern France, the fact that they're literally connected by the Channel Tunnel.

Because it's not. SM is more of a 'break' season, a vacation.
Thought that would be obvious with the lack of hardcore battle focus.
We could see Serena return in Galar, however she'll probably be in the series just like May was in Diamond and Pearl, or Dawn in Black and White.

Oh here we go. Why would Galar possibly being close to Kalos increase the odds of Clemont coming back? He promotes nothing in Shield & Sword regardless of Galar's supposed proximity to Kalos, unless I somehow missed his video game comeback in the latest game trailers which I'm pretty sure I didn't. His time is over and he has other responsibilities anyways, so the fact that some people think the writers would have him drop everything to join Ash in ShSw for no good reason instead of them having a relevant character like Milo/Allister/Hop/insert-other-Gen-8-male-here join Ash is illogical imo. The mental gymnastics that are being used to try and shove him or Serena into the picture again are giving me a headache.

I think that we are getting a Gym Leader on the main cast. Otherwise, they can't have a male companion unless they decide to either have two Gym Challengers on the main cast or create a completely anime-original companion.

Oh here we go. Why would Galar possibly being close to Kalos increase the odds of Clemont coming back? He promotes nothing in Shield & Sword regardless of Galar's supposed proximity to Kalos, unless I somehow missed his video game comeback in the latest game trailers which I'm pretty sure I didn't. His time is over and he has other responsibilities anyways, so the fact that some people think the writers would have him drop everything to join Ash in ShSw for no good reason instead of them having a relevant character like Milo/Allister/Hop/insert-other-Gen-8-male-here join Ash is illogical imo. The mental gymnastics that are being used to try and shove him or Serena into the picture again are giving me a headache.
I honestly think even Rosa (from B2W2) is more likely than Citron. Especially with the Pokémon Masters hype and her being a pretty prominent character there afaik. Not saying it's likely at all, but it's definitely likelier than Citron randomly coming back, especially if it's just him and not with Eureka.

In both XY and SM, they only chose from characters that had already been revealed at the time of the anime announcement.
For all we know they reveal a character at the anime announcement.

I wouldn’t take a gym leader being on the cast for granted, seeing their different execution as literal celebrities in Galar.

If we don't, then it will just be Ash and the female PC, and that would be a very boring group.
My entire point was there can simply be someone non-gymleader non-rival.p as the third companion. A gym leader is not guaranteed in the third spot. It can be someone unknown to be revealed soon.

Except there probably isn't any characters like that.
We don’t know that yet.
We literally had such a character in SM- Lillie (although female).

Sonia is likely the Lillie of Sword & Shield.
Are you a leaker? Or have you played the game?
We literally don’t know that yet.

Do you know anything we don’t about the games? Asking because you continue to make fact-like statements shutting down the argument.

We don’t know if Sonia accompanied us throughout the journey or has the entire plot centered around her. For all we know she might be Sina/Dexio equivalent.

I have the feeling, if the new anime will take inspirations from a previous series and will not be its own unique thing like S&M was, I think that the S&W anime will be once again closer to the formula of the original series.

Gyms are back and seem to play a big role in the games, all of the starters look like they could fit with Ash, one of the new rivals comes off a bit like a jerk. It has a bit this OS flair in it. But it could be the other way around and the new anime will be something new and fresh. By Sunday at the least, we will find out what the whole deal is with the anime. I still cross my fingers and hope it isn't a CG show. When it isn't very stylized all CGI movies and shows look kinda the same to me. Also, there are styles that can only work in 2D. And Pokémon is one of them.

I doubt that.

I think the writers have really embraced experimenting (which is a good thing IMO). They may take a story beat here or there from an older series, but I expect SS (and future series) to really be their own thing.

Have the Pokemon Sword and Shield series be something similar to a Soccer League, similar to The Hurricanes which aired in the 90s.

Who's saying anything like that?

Which part of you referring to? The Galar being close to Kalos part, or the Clemont returning in Galar part? Because for the former it was Panky.. who implied that Kalos could be close to Galar when he said, "it would make sense for Kalos companions to return due to the proximity of the British Isles to Northern France". And for the latter, it was BugCatcherinVF who said, "My last minute predictions are Ash+Gloria+Another female companion(Nessa?), and Clemont returning as an occasional companion".

No offense to either of them since other people have also mentioned similar things in recent months (I'm not going to spoon-feed y'all every single quote), but that is what was being discussed in the past two pages that I simply didn't agree with.

Last edited:
I'm not going to make predictions about the companions, I'm expecting pretty much anything. But I want to make predictions about this series' prerelease period:

• Sunday: Name, logo, release date & Pikachu/starters footage.
  • September Corocoro: Ash, Sonia and Leon artwork (assuming the latter two appear on the first episodes), poster.
  • October (either in Corocoro or in the official website): Companions' artworks and details.

Both parts obviously. You misrepresented Panky's post to Champion Cynthia.

It was obvious what he was implying though. How else was his comment supposed to be taken when he literally said that the British Isles (aka the area that Galar is based on) are within proximity of Northern France (aka the place Kalos is based on)? And not to mention that he was also talking about the odds of Kalos companions returning, which goes back to the whole Clemont-joining-the-cast theory that BugCatcherinVF brought up. :bulbaFacepalm:

How else was his comment supposed to be taken when he literally said that the British Isles (aka the area that Galar is based on) are within proximity of Northern France (aka the place Kalos is based on)?
Are you serious? :bulbaFacepalm::lapras::confused::rolleyes:

Are you serious? :bulbaFacepalm::lapras::confused::rolleyes:
UK (Galar) and France (Kalos) are only divided by a strip of water called the Straits of Dover.

Does anyone remember before the reveal of Sword and Shield that on the Pokemon Twitter for the 7 day countdown they showcase all the Regions in the anime series as if like a brochure or postcard? Perhaps somewhere within this twitter account they may drop some hints to what we may have. subtly throughout the months. Such as the National Bicycle Day one where it states that ''Pikachu had destroyed 3 bicycles and counting.''

Sure, all the bikes were around the regions centered around Japan, but what if the animators for SwSh are starting to recycle the old formulas again? You may agree and disagree, it's just a thought.

Last edited:
All this talk about geographical locations has reminded me that I really want a full world map of every region showing where they are in relation to one another. I think there's one of Kanto-Sinnoh but I'm not sure if that was official or fanmade.

To be more on-topic though, I'm really excited to see what the first opening will be. All three of Sun&Moon's openings grew on me over time and I love them all so I'm hoping Sword&Shield continues to impress me. I loved the 2017 Mezase cover from the beginning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom