• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Pokémon Sword and Shield anime speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you except that the idea with ash is marry misty and have children.
That child was the child of blue haired woman, she and that child was actually in japanese original series ending.

If we comes to anime i don't know what to think about this nostalgia craze about makers of anime and games.
I mean i don't have something against kanto, i totally love OS, i even rewatch it yearly i just love how ash was hilarious and funny in this times.
I really hope the anime is about galar and the sword and shield games, we had already enough nostalgia. .__.''
Such TV shows, movies and such that were made in the past are suppose to be timeless, and remaking it has to be done with a lot of love and care, with money being secondary. What is the point of rebooting or remaking it scene by scene and putting it up for today only for it to be outdated in order to make money? I'm looking at you, Disney Live Action Films.

I agree with you except that the idea with ash is marry misty and have children.
That child was the child of blue haired woman, she and that child was actually in japanese original series ending.

If we comes to anime i don't know what to think about this nostalgia craze about makers of anime and games.
I mean i don't have something against kanto, i totally love OS, i even rewatch it yearly i just love how ash was hilarious and funny in this times.
I really hope the anime is about galar and the sword and shield games, we had already enough nostalgia. .__.''
The Ash marrying Misty part is what I've heard from someone over a decade ago.

Last edited:
Well...that's a curve ball.

I agree with everyone who's said they can't imagine there not being a specific SwSh anime...way too much video game promotion for them to skip out on. But I'm not fully grasping what this other concept is (which I guess right now is the point). I've been wanting for years a reboot of Chronicles or something similar where we get new content with old characters, so if it was something like that, I'd be stoked. But if it's some AU thing or a Generations reboot? Can't really say the same, personally.

I'm actually pretty bummed if this is what the announcement is because I was really looking forward to SwSh info, unless whatever this thing is absolutely blows me away.

Why would there be a new MC when Ash's Pikachu was seen during the 2020 movie teaser

Guys the other announcement is still the sword and shield anime. Stop over thinking it.
We shall see on sunday.

However it is highly suspicious that nothing Gen 8 related had been hinted with the anime and movie this year compared with what happened with the past 6 Gens.

Why would there be a new MC when Ash's Pikachu was seen during the 2020 movie teaser
View attachment 124197

Not that I disagree, but how do you know that's Ash's Pikachu? Because even if Ash were to get replaced (as unlikely as it is), I'm like 99.9% sure that the new protagonist would have a Pikachu as well since Pikachu's virtually the franchise's mascot a la Mickey Mouse.

Im not certain it's Ash's, buuuut if the new MC got Pikachu it would essentially just be Ash with a new coat of paint and what would even be the point
From what it seems, it looks as if the old Pokemon series will finally end after Sun and Moon, and will be replaced with a sort of retelling of Ash, or some other Trainer, travelling with new companions throughout the past Regions with Galar being the last, to which I see is a waste of opportunity to use Galar and the Pokemon to advertise Sword and Shield. Unless they're actually also advertising Pokemon Masters as well? And if that's the case... Then why have Gen 8 at all if you're going to change the anime's structure to advertise a phone game?

From what it seems, it looks as if the old Pokemon series will finally end after Sun and Moon, and will be replaced with a sort of retelling of Ash, or some other Trainer, travelling with new companions throughout the past Regions with Galar being the last, to which I see is a waste of opportunity to use Galar and the Pokemon to advertise Sword and Shield. Unless they're actually also advertising Pokemon Masters as well? Then why have Gen 8 at all if you're going to change the anime's structure to advertise a phone game?
Actually many hating on upcoming main games sword and shield because they think game freak doesn't care about pokemon anymore i personally totally disagree with that, the game looks amazing and i think it will be amazing as well.
But that today's the main games and console games have become less important is fact.(has nothing to do with game freak)
Especially in japan mobile games are booming especially the gacha one, i think i wouldn't be suprised if they make the anime more to advertise the mobile games rather than sword and shield.
What would be pretty sad if the main games are pushed in background and doesn't seem to be adv worth anymore.

the images show that it just showcases all the region's starters
It isn't any different than M20's teaser

View: https://youtu.be/ktfmUkkaPSg

Yet in translation, it also states... "History takes you to all the worlds of Pokémon" Meaning that the series will most probably be a retelling or a reboot from Gen 1 right up to 7 before jumping to Gen 8, which is something I'm very much concerned with. Especially when Sword and Shield is right round the corner, and yet by the time the anime gets to Sword and Shield, it would probably be either 3-4 years too late, and by that time Gen 9 would probably be out.

Actually many hating on upcoming main games sword and shield because they think game freak doesn't care about pokemon anymore i personally totally disagree with that, the game looks amazing and i think it will be amazing as well.
But that today's the main games and console games have become less important is fact.(has nothing to do with game freak)
Especially in japan mobile games are booming especially the gacha one, i think i wouldn't be suprised if they make the anime more to advertise the mobile games rather than sword and shield.
What would be pretty sad if the main games are pushed in background and doesn't seem to be adv worth anymore.

I wasn't referring to Game Freak, I was referring to the TPC and the anime. I actually feel sorry for Game Freak at this point.

When Pokemon Masters was first announced at the Press Conference in May, I was very worried of it overshadowing Sword and Shield, and my expectations has only gotten worse.

I don't think that they are outright trying to kill the main series and make Pokemon a mobile-only franchise.

No they're not. It's the changing times I'm afraid, and TPC is only trying to keep up with it.

Last edited:
I don't think that they are outright trying to kill the main series and make Pokemon a mobile-only franchise.

I didn't say they will kill the main series as long as nintendo making consoles i think the the main series will live.
But i do think that The Pokemon Company gives more attention to the mobile games rather than main games.
Because its more profitable.
I have some gamer friends myself in japan they actually are currently in mobile gacha craze and are whaling and probably giving more than 100 dolar to a mere mobile game monthly.
I personally think pokemon masters is really good game, and there are good another mobile games as well but whaling or giving that much money is not so mine.

I think it's rather unlikely but I'd be happy if they decided to reboot the anime.

I've been waiting for the anime reboot ever since I found out Ash isn't a playable character in all the Pokémon games. It'd be a great opportunity to properly adapt Gen 1, flesh out the main characters and give them a conclusion in their respective regions, then move on to the next region with a new heroes, just like the games do.

At the other hand, I'm a afraid they could potentially ruin what made this anime entertaining in the first place.

It'd be great if it turned out to be a reboot, but I highly expect SwSh anime announcement.

I think it's rather unlikely but I'd be happy if they decided to reboot the anime.

I've been waiting for the anime reboot ever since I found out Ash isn't a playable character in all the Pokémon games. It'd be a great opportunity to properly adapt Gen 1, flesh out the main characters and give them a conclusion in their respective regions, then move on to the next region with a new heroes, just like the games do.

At the other hand, I'm a afraid they could potentially ruin what made this anime entertaining in the first place.

It'd be great if it turned out to be a reboot, but I highly expect SwSh anime announcement.
And yet it is Sword and Shield that should be getting an anime which is the main gripe here.

Ash is not going to be replaced for one simple reason: He is the face of the franchise, with Pikachu and TRio. If you replace Ash, you also need to replace TRio, since they cannot go without Ash (And the reverse as well). So its 5 characters that need to be replaced, not 1. And considering Pikachu is the mascot, the new 'protag' will also have a Pikachu (So whats the point?)

He will most likely be featured in both series, but as two slightly different characters.

1. SwSh: A straightforward adaptation of SwSh using the SM art style (hence the Movie 23 teaser).

2. Masters: AU Ash collects a badge from each of the 8 regions (we saw a glimpse of the Erika battle in the movie) and then goes to Pasio for the PML. A fast-paced series meant to boost interest in Masters and related merchandise.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom